Windows 10: Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

Discus and support Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Patrick McElhiney, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and directory names, in order to fit them into the maximum length allowed. I have found that the limit is based on the tree structure, or hierarchical structure, or in other words, the length of every directory before the last directory at the bottom of the tree structure, added the filename length.My development project is v

:)

Patrick McElhiney, Nov 24, 2022
  2. LemP Win User

Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?

"It cares" because the programmer who created the backup software assigned a certain size to the variable used to contain the names. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of space taken up by the file.

Yes, see Sorting files according to the length of filename

Note that several of the suggestions there respond to the literal question (sort by length of file name), which probably is the wrong question. Most likely, the unnamed backup software you were using was probably complaining about the length of the pathname, i.e., the length of the path plus the length of the file name. See the suggestion from a nonny mouse

3. Path length limit

Hello John,

My name is Patricia and I am an Independent Advisor. I am here to help you today.

Disable the path limit length is recommended after Python setup is successful, because if python was installed in a directory with a path length greater than 260 characters, adding it to the path could fail.

So don't worry about that action and proceed to it.

Patricia.Guenot, Nov 24, 2022
  4. reklaw#XD Win User

Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

Thanks.

Not sure what the leading ~ does, but it worked. A bunch of extra (long) names was listed bit I tried refining with name:~"*~*.???" and that limited the results to 8.3 names.

I tried in CMD DIR but it doesn't work. I thought it might be a way to produce a txt file to work from. Hey ho I will just use explorer.

reklaw#XD, Nov 24, 2022
Thema:

Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

1. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination - Similar Threads - Directory Name File

2. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  3. How to change name in file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change name in file directory: Hello, I've changed my name in my Microsoft account and computer settings, but some places such as my file paths still display my old name C:\Users\[oldname]; is there any way to change this or is this particular area not possible to change unless I reset the computer? I'm on...
  4. The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: I am getting this error while installing a driver for a microcontroller programmer. I have tried many methods like changing drive, renaming the setup or folder but nothing works for me. I tried installing the same driver on another computer having Win10 , there it works fine....
  5. The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: [ATTACH]I am getting this error while installing a driver for a microcontroller programmer. I have tried many methods like changing the drive, renaming the setup or folder but nothing works for me. I tried installing the same driver on another computer having Win10, there it...
  6. searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name: In Win 10, when using robocopy I accidently entered the wrong parameter /FAT causing several directory and file namesto be converted to 8.3 format before I could stop it. Does anyone know a simple way to find them, they would have a tilde ~ in the name? I have tried dir...
  7. Increase file name length

Increase file name length: How do I increase the length available for a file name? For example I have a jpg which I wish to name 'Leonard Cohen Tribute, A Thousand Kisses Deep, The Songs Of Leonard Cohen, Nevada Theatre February 12 & 13, 2016' but I cannot name it beyond 'Leonard Cohen Tribute, A...
  8. Limited File Name Length Problems

Limited File Name Length Problems: Windows 10. I am trying to rename a file with a name that is 92 characters long (letters, numbers, and hyphens). I am copying the name from a file folder name and attempting to past that name as the rename for a jpeg. It cuts off the last thirty Characters. I tried typing the...
  9. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is...
  10. PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation: Hi there Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too. Linux and...