Windows 10: Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

Discus and support Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiivile, Jun 5, 2018.

1. wiivile Win User

Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually about 1.4TB.

I re-indexed and this did not fix the problem. I ran chkdsk upon reboot and this did not fix the problem. My hard drive has no bad sectors according to Crystaldiskinfo (it is a 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD).

Any ideas why "Properties" would mis-report (underreport!) the size of my User folder?

:)

wiivile, Jun 5, 2018

2. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space usage following Win10 upgrade

Hi all

The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good!

However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the Properties menu item after right-clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer is reporting vastly lower disk space usage than it ever did before the update.

For example, my Documents folder is showing 2.85Gb of space usage. However one of the subfolders (at the level directly below the Documents root directory) uses more than 5Gb by itself! (which in this case seems to be correctly reporting). This is just
    one of many subfolders off my Documents folder though, and the under-reporting problem extends to just about every other major folder that I have tried on my system (on both my system and portable hard disk drives).

The differences in space usage being reported are at extreme levels, along the lines of reporting less than 10% of the space usage than when I performed the same request before the update. I have never experienced anything even remotely close to this (under
    any version of Windows) before the update.

I have taken all the obvious steps such as checking Explorer's viewing options (none of which I changed before either before or after the update to cause these issues to arise) and looking for similar issues already being posted on Windows support forums.
    However I must admit that having totally drawn a blank with all of these avenues, it's time to ask the experts!

By the way the issue isn't something as simple as having the option to include subfolders in space usage being turned off, as there is far less than 2.85Gb of space usage by my files on the Documents root directory (and once again the same patterns are apparent
    on other folders on my system).

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the under-reporting of disk space usage in Windows Explorer? (and if so have these problems seemed to have been introduced by the recent Windows 10 update?) Are there any steps you would advise I take to revert
    back to the space usage figures I would be expecting (and have always obtained before the update). This is a feature of Explorer that I constantly use and find very useful, but am being severely limited in its usage since the issues I am reporting in this
    post have recently come up.

Thanks everyone, your assistance in getting this issue resolved would be much appreciated!

Darren Campbell, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

1. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties" - Similar Threads - Directory size user

2. Weird User Folder in Users Directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird User Folder in Users Directory: I have noticed that in my Users directory that the folder name for one of my users is "DESKTOP.7MODD72". Anyone have any experience with this happening? If so, what caused it? Windows 10 - Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 submitted by /u/e-_-v [link] [comments]...
  3. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.: SSD C: shows a "used" size of ~90 GB and the sum of the file folders used size is less than 30 GB - including hidden folders. What is going on?...
  4. Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties: Hello, I've noticed an error or bug that has begun occurring in the last month with the Properties box. I have a folder that contains more than 4 terabytes of data in more than 23,000 files and yet when I right click within the folder and select Properties, the popup box...
  5. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  6. Folder properties size fluctuating and inaccurate.

Folder properties size fluctuating and inaccurate.: Folder properties sometimes gives accurate size and count but mostly just one of the internal folders and sometimes impossible readings like 45TB for a 17gb folder. This problem first occurred on a new Seagate Expansion Drive then on data transferred back to my main...
  7. Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually...
  8. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space: Hi all The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good! However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the...
  9. Size of Users folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Users folder: Hello! I have just a little query really. I have a 175GB C: Windows drive. At the moment it has 102GB used. However 47.5GB is the C: Windows/Users folder. I have moved all the pictures, videos and music from this folder to their own dedicated drives, but 47.5GB still...
  10. strange folders under users folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    strange folders under users folders...: i found these strange folders under the users folders and other places... dozens of them... ones like Send To, Start Menu, Templates, etc they have shortcut arrows but they are not... they are file folders and they have no size and the date is when i installed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right clicking my documents properties is not showing total size in subfolders