Windows 10: Directory Write Test tmp files created

Discus and support Directory Write Test tmp files created in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every once in a while, empty "Directory Write Test (...).tmp" files are added under "C:". Like "Directory Write Test (6008).tmp", "Directory Write... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trogne, Sep 15, 2020.

1. trogne Win User

Directory Write Test tmp files created

Every once in a while, empty "Directory Write Test (...).tmp" files are added under "C:".

Like "Directory Write Test (6008).tmp", "Directory Write Test (12880).tmp", ...

It never stops.

Googling tmp and "Directory Write Test", I don't find any clue.

What could that be ?

Thanks

:)

trogne, Sep 15, 2020

2. Unhidden TMP files on fileshares

Hello Cody, I have a new suggestion:

Create a separate folder within the same directory. Move the offending excel files over to the new folder and remove it from the parent directory. Then when you try to save from the client machine on the server, it should initially create the tmp file but then
    remove it once you close the excel program after saving.

Irisdiel H, Sep 15, 2020
  3. WP10 Camera Roll tmp files

I have a Lumia 950xl and find tmp files in my Camera Roll directory and these are also backed up to my OneDrive:

Example:

WP_20151231_23_58_15_Rich_LI.mp4.tnl.tmp

WP_20151229_16_43_41_Rich_LI.mp4.thm.tmp

WP_20151229_16_43_41_Rich_LI.mp4.tnl.tmp

I can also find the actual picture in the Camera Roll directory:

WP_20151231_23_58_15_Rich_LI.jpg

WP_20151229_16_43_41_Rich_LI.jpg

What are these tmp files for and do I need these? If not can I avoid the tmp files being created? Can I just delete the tmp files that I find now already?

Thomas

ThomasHirschmugl, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Directory Write Test tmp files created

How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

Directory Write Test tmp files created

1. Directory Write Test tmp files created - Similar Threads - Directory Write Test

2. Random .tmp file being created on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random .tmp file being created on startup.: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I'm having this random .tmp file created on startup. If i try to delete the latest one created it says I can't because its in use in System. Is this something to worry about? Here are screenshots of my things as...
  3. Random .tmp file being created on startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random .tmp file being created on startup.: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I'm having this random .tmp file created on startup. If i try to delete the latest one created it says I can't because its in use in System. Is this something to worry about? Here are screenshots of my things as...
  4. Cannot write to specified directory

Cannot write to specified directory: Using Photoshop Elements I have always uploaded pictures to c:users-name-pictures. However, the last time I set this location in the photo downloader I got the message "cannot write to specified directory"Whilst I have full ownership of this folder I notice the attributes...
  5. Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...: When I restart Windows 11 I get this error:Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory: .note_data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-create-data-directory-nwjs-cannot-read/0da2e951-3162-4507-9b8c-37dbac9c15e1
  6. Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...

Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...: When I restart Windows 11 I get this error:Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory: .note_data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-create-data-directory-nwjs-cannot-read/0da2e951-3162-4507-9b8c-37dbac9c15e1
  7. tmp files .tmp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tmp files .tmp: I can empty all data in local temp folder , but as soon as open any web browser like Chrome or Microsoft edge they reappear. The files look like fc11a109-3f15-45b0-b483-630e1584a674.tmp. If I try then to delete the files individually, I get the message " The action can't be...
  8. tmp files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tmp files: I have loads of 'tmp' files being created hourly and find this very annoying. Only started happening in last 2 weeks. Anyone know how I can stop these from being created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files/743ff527-0706-4d34-8617-95f837722af4"
  9. unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp

unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp: trying to install visual studio code and this message pops up immediately. "Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp" error 5 access is denied I tried taking ownership at appdata point but still no go. Is there some permission or...
  10. Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.: Hello, I currently have reformatted & installed Windows 10. I've been having this weird issue where if I rename / create shortcuts my computer will freeze. After about 15-20 seconds, explorer will restart and put files "~ew shortcut.tmp / New shortcut.lnk~RF3cc187.TMP" on my...