Windows 10: DirectX errors when running old games

Discus and support DirectX errors when running old games in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, A lot of my older games do not run on my new Windows 10 desktop, with errors such as "this game requires DirectX 9.0c" etc. They can run if my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IAmChunLi, Oct 7, 2018.

1. IAmChunLi Win User

DirectX errors when running old games

Hi,

A lot of my older games do not run on my new Windows 10 desktop, with errors such as "this game requires DirectX 9.0c" etc. They can run if my screen is connected to my on-board Intel graphics motherboard (albeit not a great framerate) but come up with these errors when the screen is connected to my NVidia graphics card.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers several times, and still get this error. Please advise what I can do.

:)

IAmChunLi, Oct 7, 2018

2. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Oct 7, 2018
  3. unable to play some games with directx 12

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What happens when you try to play the games with the DirectX 12? Do you get any error message/code? If yes, then provide us the complete error message/code.
    If you are unable to play games which doesn't support DirectX 12 then, you can manually download the supportable DirectX for the games.

I suggest you to refer to the below article on How to install the latest version of DirectX.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113

Some games comes with the supported DirectX application embedded within the game's application, so that you can install it manually from the game.

You can also try to open the games in the compatibility mode.

• Right-click on the setup file of the game and click on ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed.

• Once this is done, Restart the computer.
    Please get back to us with an update. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Punith_Kumar, Oct 7, 2018
  4. DirectX errors when running old games

Directx not working with games

Hi Trey,

There is a possibility that the components of DirectX within the game you're trying to play is damaged. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to play all of the installed games on your computer, or is the issue isolated with specific games?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue even when you are using other user profiles?

In the meantime, we suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the games that are experiencing an issue with DirectX. Doing so can repair its components. Let us know if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

DirectX errors when running old games

1. DirectX errors when running old games - Similar Threads - DirectX errors running

2. Old game won't run on my new windows 11 laptop because of directx error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game won't run on my new windows 11 laptop because of directx error: I just purchased the batman arkham trilogy but the games won't run on my laptop even though it has the specs to do so. It's shows directx error everytime I open city or asylum. When I try to install the required directx version which is directx3d it says can't install cuz the...
  3. Old game won't run on my new windows 11 laptop because of directx error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old game won't run on my new windows 11 laptop because of directx error: I just purchased the batman arkham trilogy but the games won't run on my laptop even though it has the specs to do so. It's shows directx error everytime I open city or asylum. When I try to install the required directx version which is directx3d it says can't install cuz the...
  4. Error running game with DirectX

Error running game with DirectX: I'm trying to run "Hastune Miku Project Diva Mega Mix+" and it worked for a short moment before, but when I left the screen froze so I closed it and reopened it. However, now i can't run it at all because this error code appears. "Failed to format DirectX. Format must be...
  5. Error running game with DirectX

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error running game with DirectX: I'm trying to run "Hastune Miku Project Diva Mega Mix+" and it worked for a short moment before, but when I left the screen froze so I closed it and reopened it. However, now i can't run it at all because this error code appears. "Failed to format DirectX. Format must be...
  6. problem when i run an old games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem when i run an old games: I have a problem when I run an old games like Farcry 3 and Dishonored, after play the game for a while on windowed mode the game keeps not responding and respond and so on until I close it from the task manager my pc is not low and I'm playing on windowed because I tried it...
  7. Can't run a DirectX 11 Game on DirectX 12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't run a DirectX 11 Game on DirectX 12: Hi, I tried to play a game called Lego Marvel Superheros 2, but when I ran the game it said "Fatal Error, Your machine is unable to run the game. It requires a graphics card which supports DirectX 11"I checked what DirectX version I had, and it said I had DirectX 11, How do I...
  8. Can't run a DirectX 11 Game on DirectX 12

Can't run a DirectX 11 Game on DirectX 12: Hi, I tried to play a game called Lego Marvel Superheros 2, but when I ran the game it said "Fatal Error, Your machine is unable to run the game. It requires a graphics card which supports DirectX 11"I checked what DirectX version I had, and it said I had DirectX 11, How do I...
  9. Error when running a game

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error when running a game: When my daughter tries to run her game it says "The following components are required to run this program" DirectX runtime. What do I need to download or update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-running-a-game/406e5882-e7f8-4647-88dc-8181c2a16755
  10. Old Games will not run on DirectX 12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Games will not run on DirectX 12: Specifically, old Command and Conquer Games.. Red Alert 2, Command and Conquer Generals. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-games-will-not-run-on-directx-12/7239a46a-98ab-42d4-880e-beb9b0475edf

Users found this page by searching for:

1. directx error running older games

2. origin direct x error installing the run