Windows 10: DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

Discus and support DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On creating and destroying DirectX9 device repeatedly after some time the CreateDeviceEx call fails randomly with the error : 0x8876086A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hork Bajir, Nov 8, 2018.

1. DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

On creating and destroying DirectX9 device repeatedly after some time the CreateDeviceEx call fails randomly with the error : 0x8876086A (D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE)

On enabling Debug spew on debug directX binaries, I see the following log when the CreateDeviceEx call fails :

Direct3D9: (ERROR) : DDraw and Direct3D are not supported in less than 8bpp modes. Creating Device fails.

Moreover, if it helps, I get this error only on laptop, not on my desktop computer running on similar configuration.

Any clue as to what maybe going wrong ?

I am using latest Windows 10 release and GTX-980 (desktop) / GTX-1060 (Laptop) with latest graphics drivers.

:)

Hork Bajir, Nov 8, 2018

2. Direct3D failed to initialize D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

I tried it in multiple locations, in my program files and on my desktop.

It occured when I tried to install it. I found out today that one of my older programs doesn't work either. That one did work before but it is now giving the same D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE error message.

I don't think I did any big things that can be the problem, except the anniversary update of Windows and I updated my drivers.

It occures as soon as the program tries to load the game. I think when it tries to display something.

I hope this is enough.

hasnieking, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Nov 8, 2018
  4. chideock Win User

DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

1. DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE - Similar Threads - DirectX9 CreateDeviceEx fails

2. Can't install Directx9 june 2010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install Directx9 june 2010: I have been trying to reinstall directx after doing an in place reset I think that's what it's called. Anyway I keep running into this same error while installing either the june 2010 or the web directx installers. I have updated all drivers, downgraded drivers reinstalled...
  3. Can't install directx9 installer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install directx9 installer: I tried Installing the web one and it says there's a newer version already installed so It won't progress as much then I tried the directx9.c thing and downloaded the installer here and halfway it crashes and it says "An internal system error occured. Please refer to...
  4. Can't install directx9 installer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install directx9 installer: I tried Installing the web one and it says there's a newer version already installed so It won't progress as much then I tried the directx9.c thing and downloaded the installer here and halfway it crashes and it says "An internal system error occured. Please refer to...
  5. d3derr_notavailable on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    d3derr_notavailable on Windows 11: Hello I recently updated my windows 10 to 11 , after that I installed Resident Evil 6 steam version but when I open game I will get a wierd error!this is the error:When I set up to run as admin this is the error that I get:I tried everything , updated my directx even...
  6. d3derr_notavailable on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    d3derr_notavailable on Windows 11: Hello I recently updated my windows 10 to 11 , after that I installed Resident Evil 6 steam version but when I open game I will get a wierd error!this is the error:When I set up to run as admin this is the error that I get:I tried everything , updated my directx even...
  7. DirectX9 no longer available for download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DirectX9 no longer available for download: So I was downloading an old game and when I tried to boot it up a d3dx9_43.ddl was not found error. I actually had encountered this problem previously on a different laptop and fixed it by downloading the directx9 files here:...
  8. DirectX9 to DirectX12 mapping

in Windows 10 Customization
    DirectX9 to DirectX12 mapping: I want to migrate from Directx9 to DirectX12 In DirectX9 below classes used - IDirect3DDevice9 - Direct3DVertexDeclaration9 - IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 - ID3DXBaseEffect I didn't find corresponding class in DirectX12 Anyone have idea...
  9. Windows update broke my DirectX9

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update broke my DirectX9: I updated to the latest update at the start of September and its overwritten my dxd9.dll with its updated version. As it was so long ago, I can't uninstall the update and go back to the old file. I've tried reinstalling DirectX to no success. I'm unable to play the games I...
  10. 1809 runs directx9 games at 50fps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1809 runs directx9 games at 50fps: Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 runs some games at 50fps. Mainly directX9 games fullscreen. Tried game mode on/off, disable fullscreen optimizations etc. Yet, launching VLC player suddenly makes the game go back to 60fps. When I close VLC then the game reverts back to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. direct3d9 d3derr_notavailable

2. directx9 not available after driver update

3. Error detected: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

4. DirectX9 D3D Failed call to GetAdapterDisplayMode Error code 0x8876086a Remote desktop