Windows 10: Dirty Bit Not Resetting

Discus and support Dirty Bit Not Resetting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently noticed that every time I boot my PC it runs CHKDSK during startup. I did some research into this and I believe the cause for this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PUFFBALL101961, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Dirty Bit Not Resetting

Hi,

I have recently noticed that every time I boot my PC it runs CHKDSK during startup. I did some research into this and I believe the cause for this is because the dirty bit is set. I checked the dirty bit status with fsutil dirty query for both my drives C and D and both came up as being dirty.

Iv'e run chkdsk /f on both drives but the dirty bit won't go away.

My C Drive is A Relatively New SSD

My D Drive is A HDD

I'm worried that there is something wrong with my drives.

Other Weird Things:

When I try to open 'Defragment and Optimise Drives' it doesn't open.

When I Go Into Properties of the Disk and in Tools I Select Check for Errors, it finds errors on both drives, but when I restart to fix it it just does it's chkdsk thing again.

PC Information:

Intel i5-9400F

Gigabyte H310M H 2.0

Gigabyte RX 570

Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD Boot
    WD Blue 1TB HDD Storage

Cooler Master MWE550 v2 PSU

:)

PUFFBALL101961, Aug 20, 2020

2. Dirty Bit not same state on the two possible Command Prompts

Using Windows 10. When I enter Command Prompt with holding down shift key when restarting and using fsutil dirty query c: , the Dirty Bit state is 0 or off. When I enter Command Prompt (Admin) from running the Windows program and using fsutil
    dirty query c:
    , the Dirty Bit is 1 or on. I think the latter condition is why I always get the Disk Check running notification when booting up. I've tried everything to clear the latter mentioned Dirty Bit state but nothing works. I saw one suggestion
    to use a hex editor and actually go into the Bios? to put the Dirty Bit state back to 0, but don't feel comfortable with that. The disk check using
    dskchk c: /f /r in the first mentioned Command Prompt shows the disk has no problems. Why are the Dirty Bit settings different? Could this be why Macruim does not want to clone the disk?

Thanks for any help and comments.

RolandO_774, Aug 20, 2020
  3. When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty

Hi Jonarooni,

The drive being "dirty" has nothing to do with age but the state of the file system.

It could be due to improper shutdown of a system or various other reasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A volume's dirty bit indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because:

The volume is online and it has outstanding changes.

Changes were made to the volume and the computer was shut down before the changes were committed to the disk.

Corruption was detected on the volume.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the file system integrity and to attempt to fix any issues with the volume.

Regards,

Lee

Lee Teck Koon, Aug 20, 2020
  4. Dirty Bit Not Resetting

Color bit depth is at 6-bit on Display properties of Windows 10 pro

Try the below suggested steps and check if the suggested options are available to change the Color bit Depth value

1. Right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
    2. Expand the Display, and then highlight the Change resolution.
    3. On the right side, check if there is 8 bpc listed under
      Output color depth.
    4. You may select 8 bpc and restart the device to witness the changes.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

Dirty Bit Not Resetting

1. Dirty Bit Not Resetting - Similar Threads - Dirty Bit Resetting

2. Not able to unset Dirty Bit in Windows boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to unset Dirty Bit in Windows boot drive: Hello, I have Windows 11 Home Single Language OS installed on my laptop. Now, when I go to Defragment and Optimize Drives tool, I am unable to Optimize my C: drive. It shows that Optimization not available. Also every time I boot up my System, it tries to repair the Drive but...
  3. Not able to unset Dirty Bit in Windows boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to unset Dirty Bit in Windows boot drive: Hello, I have Windows 11 Home Single Language OS installed on my laptop. Now, when I go to Defragment and Optimize Drives tool, I am unable to Optimize my C: drive. It shows that Optimization not available. Also every time I boot up my System, it tries to repair the Drive but...
  4. Dirty drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dirty drive: How do I clean/fix my dirty C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dirty-drive/cd4384c4-98ca-4011-944e-e7bfaeb8a617
  5. Dirty drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dirty drive: How do I clean/fix my dirty C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dirty-drive/cd4384c4-98ca-4011-944e-e7bfaeb8a617
  6. Dirty bit not resetting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dirty bit not resetting: I tried numerous methods to fix the issue. It happened after the second-latest update which my windows 10 had. I ran the fsutil it told me my C: is dirty but when I ran chkdsk with no parameters, It told me I had zero bad sectors and I dont need to do anything. What do I do...
  7. c: drive dirty bit error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    c: drive dirty bit error: Hello, on every boots my computer checks my c: drive and tries to repair it. I have figured out why it is doing this, it is because it has dirty bit. I have already tried booting from a USB drive and using the command "chkdsk c: /f" This unfortuntely does not work. It does...
  8. Is a dirty bit on a ssd considered dangerous or it won't affect it?

Is a dirty bit on a ssd considered dangerous or it won't affect it?: I have a ssd and yesterday it got a dirty bit but I'm curious if it's dangerous and it will harm it or no submitted by /u/Zeyadtarek952 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i1a3af/is_a_dirty_bit_on_a_ssd_considered_dangerous_or/
  9. How to Remove Dirty Bit from Drive with Windows Installed on It

How to Remove Dirty Bit from Drive with Windows Installed on It: About a week and a half ago, my PC started scanning and repairing the C drive (which has windows installed on it) every time I would boot the computer. It never shows a percentage. It just shows "Scanning and repairing drive C..." and then after a few seconds it boots up...
  10. dirty shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    dirty shutdown: random shuts down more and more. I see many many people share this problem. What is the latest solution? 34164

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows dirty bit