Windows 10: Dirty Clean Installs

Discus and support Dirty Clean Installs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After three clean installs in a row, I found my efforts to fix my PC were undermined when each and every install was corrupt with an old slideshow on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ilkhgs, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ilkhgs Win User

Dirty Clean Installs

After three clean installs in a row, I found my efforts to fix my PC were undermined when each and every install was corrupt with

an old slideshow on the new desktop, and some other settings that came from elsewhere/old pc from way back. Even with no internet hooked up for the install. How could this be? I love much, the helpful explanations I am sure to get, but seriously... Does anyone know how this happens? Many thanks in advance to the first right answer. WOOO-HOOO!

:)

ilkhgs, Aug 25, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 25, 2019
  4. ozshadow Win User

Dirty Clean Installs

Dirty installation (repair) after Mobo change ?

I know a clean installation is always preferred and I may have Windows licensing issues after changing hardware (I will buy a new license if I have to).

That being said, I have a relatively new Win 10 64 bit system (from upgrade) and I do not want to completely re-do the installation of literally everything I have again.

Can I either pre-install motherboard drivers before changing the mobo or do a dirty installation repair after changing the motherboard?

Does anyone have a step by step guide?

I have done this with older versions that worked perfectly, but it has been a while.

I plan to change from an i5-750 to an i7-4790k. The mobo and CPU will be swapped of course.

ozshadow, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Dirty Clean Installs

1. Dirty Clean Installs - Similar Threads - Dirty Clean Installs

2. Dirty drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dirty drive: How do I clean/fix my dirty C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dirty-drive/cd4384c4-98ca-4011-944e-e7bfaeb8a617
  3. Dirty drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dirty drive: How do I clean/fix my dirty C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dirty-drive/cd4384c4-98ca-4011-944e-e7bfaeb8a617
  4. Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way: Recently my laptop has started showing the "Scanning and Repairing Volume C:" message on every single boot up. After doing some research and running some scans, I discovered that my C: drive the SSD on which Windows is installed is "Dirty". I have been looking for different...
  5. Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way: Recently my laptop has started showing the "Scanning and Repairing Volume C:" message on every single boot up. After doing some research and running some scans, I discovered that my C: drive the SSD on which Windows is installed is "Dirty". I have been looking for different...
  6. Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How to clean a dirty drive where windows is installed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clean a dirty drive where windows is installed?: Recently, my computer had an improper shutdown. Whenever it starts up, my computer "scans and repairs" the C drive for about 3 seconds then continues to boot as normal. Windows is installed on an SSD and when I run the commandchkntfs C: it says my C: is dirty. My computer is...
  8. How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop?: I had my dell xps 15 9550 since late 2016. I rarely use it by itself and have it hooked to 2 external monitors and an external keyboard. I noticed that when i finally am using it by itself with they keyboard without a monitor... my laptop is really dirty and sticky. Like the...
  9. How to clean dirty laptop physically/cosmetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clean dirty laptop physically/cosmetically?: Have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop bought years ago. It works fine. The exterior of it is a bit dirty but because its silver, it looks good. Now when you open the laptop and look at the touchpad and the areas around the keyboard etc, there is like dirty fingerprints around that...
  10. dirty shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    dirty shutdown: random shuts down more and more. I see many many people share this problem. What is the latest solution? 34164