Windows 10: Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10

Discus and support Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 is not giving me the option to put my computer to sleep. The issue is related to my graphics cards. I know this because when I run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by idlecpu, May 7, 2020.

1. idlecpu Win User

Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10

Hi,

Windows 10 is not giving me the option to put my computer to sleep. The issue is related to my graphics cards. I know this because when I run powercfg -a in command prompt, it says standby/sleep states are disabled because of graphics.

More info:

I have a desktop with 2 different graphics cards, an AMD rx570 and an Nvidia GTX970. When windows boots up, I want the rx570 disabled completely. When both cards are enabled in device manager, the sleep option is there. But when I disable the rx570 in device manager, the sleep option is gone. I also tried completely removing the rx570 by uninstalling it in device manager but still have the same issue. Is there some kind of hack that will make windows ignore what is in one of the pcie slots so I can have sleep working? Thank you in advance.

:)

idlecpu, May 7, 2020
  2. Antilope Win User

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works.

You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot.

On PCIe X1, X4 and X16 slots, the first 18 pins are all wired the same, so as long as the PCI-Express card fits in the PCI-Express slot, it should work.

This is not the case for the legacy PCI (32-bit, non-express) slots, that are not PCI-Express. Those are not compatable with PCIe cards.

Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10 [​IMG]

Picture of assorted PCIe and PCI slots.

The top four slots, in the picture above, are, from the top to bottom,
    PCIe x4 slot , PCIe x16 slot, PCIe x1 slot and another PCIe x16 slot. A PCIe card that can physically fit in any of these slots will work, even if it doesn't fill the entire slot.

The bottom, 5th slot, is a PCI legacy (32-bit) slot. PCIe (express) cards will not work in this slot. It only accepts legacy PCI cards.

Here is the PCI-Express page on Wikipedia showing pinouts, etc.
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube Video showing PCIe X1 card in a PCIe X16 slot.

Here are links to discussions on this subject at Tom's Hardware.

"Can I install a PCI-e x1 Wireless network card in a PCI-e x16 slot?"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-x16-slot.html

pci-e x1 card into pci-e x16 slot?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-x16-slot.html

Antilope, May 7, 2020
  3. Clint Win User

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Clint, May 7, 2020
  4. Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10

You can also install a x16 card into a x1 slot. A lot of x1 slots have the back portion removed just for that. You see PCI-E negotiates the requirements on startup.

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Of course that is not overly common as most just use the x16 slot for all.

logicearth, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10

1. Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable pcie slot

2. PCIe x16 slot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    PCIe x16 slot: Hi, There's a graphic card that I want to purchase, but my system is not very advanced and I'm not sure that the motherboard has the required slot for it. The graphic card requires a PCIe x16 slot. I attached a photo of the lower section of the motherboard, could someone...
  3. Windows 10 is disabling my graphic card automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 is disabling my graphic card automatically: Hello dears, I built a new PC with Windows 10 pro and since i start to use it I noticed that it's disabling my graphic card every time i restart my PC. my GPU is GeForce RTX 2080 and i usually use software like Lumion and Sketchup. when i render or sometimes while 3D...
  4. Disabled Graphics Card Drivers

Disabled Graphics Card Drivers: Hey, recently my graphics card drivers have been automatically disabled due to an issue that it doesn't list (windows 10), I've tried quite a lot to re enable them but nothing has seemed to work, I've tried updating the drivers, rolling back the drivers, reinstalling them and...
  5. Disabled Graphics Card Drivers

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabled Graphics Card Drivers: Hey, recently my graphics card drivers have been automatically disabled due to an issue that it doesn't list (windows 10), I've tried quite a lot to re enable them but nothing has seemed to work, I've tried updating the drivers, rolling back the drivers, reinstalling them and...
  6. Sd Card Slot

Sd Card Slot: Hi, I have an issue with my card reader it worked fine yesterday, but now when I insert my sd card into the reader on my laptop it does not make a sound or anything. I have a new Dell XPS 15 9570, any help would be much appreciated as I am at a loss. The card works fine if I...
  7. sd card slot

sd card slot: reinstalled 10 after your update wiped my whole system out. Now i have no sd slots cant find drives another dayswork lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-slot/9af25310-8acc-4762-ae10-457cc2f406e3
  8. 4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express

4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express: Hello I have a Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 8 gig DDR3 SDRAM 799MHz Intel Core i3-3220. 240 watts PS. i'm using my pci express slot for my SSD. i'm looking for a 4K graphics card, low profile, cheap of course. if you need more...
  9. 4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express

in Windows 10 Support
    4 k graphic card for pci slot--not express: Hello I have a Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 8 gig DDR3 SDRAM 799MHz Intel Core i3-3220. 240 watts PS. i'm using my pci express slot for my SSD. i'm looking for a 4K graphics card, low profile, cheap of course. if you need more...
  10. Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot: Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works. You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot. On...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable pcie x4 slot