Windows 10: Disable applications restarting after update

Discus and support Disable applications restarting after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have been desperately trying to make windows 10 NOT restart applications after reboots. It works, IF I manually do a normal reboot. But if the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Supergregg, May 12, 2021.

1. Disable applications restarting after update

So I have been desperately trying to make windows 10 NOT restart applications after reboots. It works, IF I manually do a normal reboot. But if the reboot is due to updates being applied, applications restart at next login, ignoring my settings. I can see how Microsoft might see this as a "feature", but like all features, it should respect the settings?"Restart apps" is set to OFF"Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart" is set to OFFHave I missed a setting?

:)

Supergregg, May 12, 2021
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Disable applications restarting after update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 12, 2021
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    Applications can not restart xp

Applications that prompt me for a restart can not restart xp. "Press ok to restart now" will not do anything. I have to manually click start>turn off computer and click restart so xp can reboot itself it's just that applications can't.

Any ideas?

Lazzer408, May 12, 2021
  4. jimhoyle Win User

Disable applications restarting after update

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, May 12, 2021
Thema:

Disable applications restarting after update

1. Disable applications restarting after update - Similar Threads - Disable applications restarting

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  3. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  4. TPM disabling after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM disabling after restart: The subject says it all. My ASUS bios will allow me to enable TPM, save changes, and boot into Windows. However, after shutting down for the night or other reason, the next time the machine is started the TPM is again disabled....
  5. TPM disabling after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM disabling after restart: The subject says it all. My ASUS bios will allow me to enable TPM, save changes, and boot into Windows. However, after shutting down for the night or other reason, the next time the machine is started the TPM is again disabled....
  6. TPM disabling after restart

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates: I need a way to disable automatic restarts on Windows 10 Home. Setting active hours does not work. I have engineering programs that run on my system 24/7 and I'm tired of losing data because I come back in the morning to find that my computer randomly restarted during the...
  8. How to easily disable auto-restart after updates.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to easily disable auto-restart after updates.: How do i disable auto-restart after windows update forever? I am so sick and tired of comming in to work after the computer has been rendering over the night and everything is just lost because Windows 10 absolutely needs to delete all my unsaved work once a week. So sick and...
  9. After restarting my computer, reinstalls applications updates

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After restarting my computer, reinstalls applications updates: After I restart my computer and once it is fully restarted. If I go into the Microsoft store and check for updates, it always comes up with 30 or so. Though nothing new usually is ever updated at that time. It is all prior updates as the modified dates are from weeks to...
  10. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Is there any REAL way to disable this cancer feature? This is not the first time i have lost unsaved work due to this annoying function, that almost every Windows user hates. I'm trying to behave, but it is really hard to keep calm after loosing unsaved work multiple...