Windows 10: Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Discus and support Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My computer automatically connects to unknown open wifi. For example, when I work in a coffee shop, my computer selects any open wifi and connects to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LucM444, Sep 20, 2018.

1. LucM444 Win User

Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

My computer automatically connects to unknown open wifi. For example, when I work in a coffee shop, my computer selects any open wifi and connects to it. Then I disconnect from the network (and make sure auto-connection to that network is NOT selected). However, my computer still reconnects to this unknown open wifi about 10minutes later. I tried to look if this was due to Wi-Fi sense, but I do not have the corresponding menu for that (under Settings/Network & Internet/Wifi). I looked also for the option "manage internet settings" in the control panel under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre but that option is not available... So I have only the option of turning off my wifi connection when no known secure wifi is in range.

My computer is an ASUS and runs Windows 10 Home version 1803.

Thanks for the help.

:)

LucM444, Sep 20, 2018

2. Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to disable auto-connect to Wi-Fi with unknown networks. We will certainly help you with this.

Method 1: Turn off auto connect to Wi-Fi hotspots.

1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel.

4. Turn off Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots option.

Method 2: How to forget a Wi-Fi Network.
    1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel and scroll down to see a list of known networks.

4. Tap the network you want to forget and click on Forget
    button.

Windows by default automatically connects to the previously connected/known Wi-Fi network. Listed below are steps to disable the automatic connection to known Wi-Fi network.

1. Right click on Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    menu option.

2. In the Network and Sharing Center window, click the Wi-Fi connection
    link.

3. This should display the Wi-Fi Status windows.

4. Now click the Wireless Properties button in W-Fi Status.

5. Unmark the check box with label as Connect automatically when this network in range
    option available under the Wireless Network Properties window. Click
    Ok
    button to confirm and the save the changes.

If you are using Intel PROSet Wireless Tools, Then I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link suggested by DennisBarnett.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ption-on/514510b5-d99b-4f66-ac78-eb32d0056ada

(Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Sep 20, 2018
  3. vj000000 Win User

I have the same problem that Daniel described above.

Your solution, however, does not address his problem. Your solution only addresses "known wi-fi networks" and does not address disabling the auto-connecting of
    unknown networks.

I've already been down the path of network settings and there is nothing that will disable the auto-connecting of unknown networks.

vj000000, Sep 20, 2018
  4. johnny234 Win User

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks - Similar Threads - Disable auto connect

2. Windows 11 Wi fi not auto connecting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Wi fi not auto connecting.: Not had any issues with this previously, but yesterday had new faster broadband installed. Connected the laptop, set it to auto connect, all seemed fine. Left the laptop for a while which puts itself into sleep mode when I'm not sitting in front of it and when I came back it...
  3. Windows 11 Wi fi not auto connecting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Wi fi not auto connecting.: Not had any issues with this previously, but yesterday had new faster broadband installed. Connected the laptop, set it to auto connect, all seemed fine. Left the laptop for a while which puts itself into sleep mode when I'm not sitting in front of it and when I came back it...
  4. Can't connect to Wi-Fi and/or missing Wi-Fi network adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to Wi-Fi and/or missing Wi-Fi network adapter: I recently got a new laptop, an ASUS ROG Zephyrus. I updated the computer to Windows 11, and since then it has not been able to connect to the Wi-Fi. I've watched numerous videos on how to "solve" my problem, yet not have worked. I have gone through the troubleshooter, yet it...
  5. Can't connect to Wi-Fi and/or missing Wi-Fi network adapter

Can't connect to Wi-Fi and/or missing Wi-Fi network adapter: I recently got a new laptop, an ASUS ROG Zephyrus. I updated the computer to Windows 11, and since then it has not been able to connect to the Wi-Fi. I've watched numerous videos on how to "solve" my problem, yet not have worked. I have gone through the troubleshooter, yet it...
  6. Wi-fi Auto-connection Priority

Wi-fi Auto-connection Priority: Hello,I'm using Windows11 and want to auto-connect to wi-fi even if computer is connected to other wi-fi. Namely, I want to connect the wi-fi which has the highest priority in available ones.There is any way to realize it?...
  7. Wi-fi Auto-connection Priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi Auto-connection Priority: Hello,I'm using Windows11 and want to auto-connect to wi-fi even if computer is connected to other wi-fi. Namely, I want to connect the wi-fi which has the highest priority in available ones.There is any way to realize it?...
  8. Updated disabled my wi-fi connection

Updated disabled my wi-fi connection: Hello,I received a HP 255 G7 Model RTL8821CE from my college back in October and it was originally running Windows 10. Of course it gets updated over time but last night I installed some sort of update that makes it so I can not connect to the internet whatsoever ethernet...
  9. Problems connecting a Wi-Fi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems connecting a Wi-Fi network: I can't connect my pc with any wi-fi connections as i can't find any network options except the ethernet & broadband settings.Then i searched for the existing adapters in device manager & ended up founding a list of 9 adapters' name including 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family...
  10. Wrong Wi-fi icon when connecting to a Wi-fi network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Wi-fi icon when connecting to a Wi-fi network: Last night I updated my laptop to Windows 10 2004 but then I found that the Wi-fi icon remain "No Internet Connection" and each Wi-fi network changed. I still have access to Internet but this thing make me a bit uncomfortable. What should I do to fix this problem? Thank you....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant disable connect automatically for unknown windows 10 wireless

2. why cant i disable connect automatically to unknown networks