Windows 10: Disable automatic reboot for updates

Discus and support Disable automatic reboot for updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Mauvai Win User

Disable automatic reboot for updates

Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing don't seem to exist.

I don't want to turn off windows update, I just want my laptop to never ever restart on its own, its a ridiculous "feature".

Any help much appreciated

:)

Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015

2. Disable automatic reboot on updates - Windows 10 Pro anniversary update

The WAU is for the most part a clean install. That's why you have a "Go back to an earlier build" option that is good for 10 day's and the corresponding Windows.old folder to go along with it, for 10 day's.

The experience of others proves that such settings as gp are not reverted but set to default, by default.

RichardEiler, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Disable automatic reboot on updates - Windows 10 Pro anniversary update

Just one more reason to not like Windows. As a web developer I also cannot have my system rebooting in the middle of the night. It takes me 20 minutes in the morning just to get my IDE, shell consoles, browser windows opened back up and functional whenever
    a reboot is required. MAJOR productivity hit! After my latest encounter with the un-solicited reboot I've decided to install Linux and dual boot Windows, only booting into Windows when I absolutely need it, and running Windows dev VMs in Linux for testing
    Edge and IE. No easy way to disable auto-reboot? Really Microsoft? This is SUCH a stupid idea.

Spuddermax, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Disable automatic reboot for updates

In the run dialog box (winkey + R) type "gpedit.msc" (without quotations), hit enter
    Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
    Double click on "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations"
    Enable it and click apply

Disable automatic reboot for updates [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Aug 18, 2015
  5. Mauvai Win User
    see above Disable automatic reboot for updates :p

Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015
  6. My bad... I guess you're screwed *Wink

fracking4oil, Aug 18, 2015
  7. Mauvai Win User
    Is there any manual workaround? registry editing or something?

Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Bazz Win User

You can go to settings and then update and security then advanced and notify to schedule updates it will then not restart when your using your pc.

9. Mauvai Win User
    This is untrue - I have done this, and it has done so anyway twice, as I have missed the notification.

Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015
  10. Bazz Win User
    OK but my pc has never restarted when I have been using it, The latest one set it's self for 6am this morning.

11. Mauvai Win User
    Besides which, I really don't understand the scheduling a restart at 6 am - my pc is off at 6am. I want it to install when i shut down, like 7 used to, which actually made sense

Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015
  12. Bazz Win User
    Take a look at this https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

13. Mauvai Win User

First off... **** that. They might as well write "No need to select if we **** your PC up - we do it for you!"

I managed to solve the problem using @fracking4oil's suggestion, but to do this I had to install gpedit.

Instructions for anyone who encounters the same problem:
    At the top right of http://drudger.deviantart.com/art/Ad...-msc-215792914 , you can download the setup file.

This page: How to Enable (gpedit.msc) in Windows 7 Home Premium, Home Basic and Starter Editions? - AskVG explains how to install it if you have issues (only follow the extra steps if you have a username with spaces in it). Make sure to follow the steps in note 1, after installing.

I had tried this before and it hadn't worked. This time in a last ditch attempt, i tried deleting the two folders that note 1 mentioned from the system32 folder (woo living on the edge -do not delete files from system32 unless you know what you are doing). I then ran gpedit.msc directly from system32 and it worked (not the windows+R dialog).

It seems to be a bit finiky, which is to be expected as this software was written for windows 7, not 10.

Mauvai, Aug 18, 2015
  14. Bazz Win User
    Thanks I have installed this credit also to fracking4oil for the instructions.

15. NCguy Win User
    I have the opposite problem. I leave my device on all the time unattended and I want it to force restart. It says it has scheduled the restart but the time passes and it never happens. It just piles up updates that need a restart. Any suggestions as to why it won't force restart?

NCguy, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Disable automatic reboot for updates - Similar Threads - Disable automatic reboot

2. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled: I am at my last straw. This problem appears around community multiple times and no real solution has been given. OP`s usually just disappear. I have tried all suggestions. From driver updates, fresh installs, PSU swap, UPS swap, power cable swap, even replaced CPU cooler.PC...
  3. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled: I am at my last straw. This problem appears around community multiple times and no real solution has been given. OP`s usually just disappear. I have tried all suggestions. From driver updates, fresh installs, PSU swap, UPS swap, power cable swap, even replaced CPU cooler.PC...
  4. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot: Hi, I have several local account on my windows 11 PC without password. can i disable log on automatically to the last used account on startup / after reboot?andHow to set logon to specific user account on startup?Regards,Galih....
  6. Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot: Hi, I have several local account on my windows 11 PC without password. can i disable log on automatically to the last used account on startup / after reboot?andHow to set logon to specific user account on startup?Regards,Galih....
  7. Disable the automatic updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable the automatic updates: Hi How do I disable the automatic updates completely on every edition of Windows 10 20H2? Thanks Bye 170059
  8. Disable automatics updates

Disable automatics updates: How to disable automatic updates in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatics-updates/d6484564-a7b1-4fd7-bd15-520dd58072cf
  9. How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10?

How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10?: Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.523) Even if you have pause updates, Windows 10 installs security updates. That is reasonable. However, it is not reasonable that Windows asks you if you want to delay the update and does not wait for an answer. Specifically,...
  10. Disable automatic reboot for updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...