Windows 10: Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

Discus and support Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Cortana randomly pops-up on my desktop while using latest MS Edge browser. I never want to use Cortana!! What's the "easiest" way to disable Cortana?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dan_de_Lion, May 9, 2022.

1. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

Cortana randomly pops-up on my desktop while using latest MS Edge browser. I never want to use Cortana!! What's the "easiest" way to disable Cortana?

:)

Dan_de_Lion, May 9, 2022

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, May 9, 2022
  3. DreamTeK Win User
    Windows service is disabling Cortana - Windows 10 (ver 1511)

After updating to Windows 10 ver 1511 (build 10586.29) the following issues arose:

1. There is a two second delay from clicking the start menu to it appearing.
    2. Search functionality within the start menu I.E Cortana does not open or search.

TESTING

After removing all startup items and services I managed to find the service that was causing the issue.

Network Location Awareness

• It seems that this service is preventing Cortana from loading correctly.
    • When this service is disabled Cortana loads correctly and the start menu loads immediately.
    • Unfortunately this service is needed to display network activity so disabling it is not an option.

TESTING NOTES

1. Explorer searching works fine.
    2. Cortana process is not running in task manager when the Network Location Awareness service is running.
    3. I am connected to a domain.
    4. Other user on the same domain and build do not experience the issue.
    5. I have now done a system reset (re-installing Windows and removing all existing programs). The problem persists.

Any advise on further diagnosing or resolving the issue is appreciated.

DreamTeK, May 9, 2022
  4. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

How to disable Cortana/Have a search menu that is actually helpful.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to turn off Cortana settings.

• Login to Windows 10 computer with your Microsoft account.
    • Click on Cortana search bar.
    • In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    • Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    • Then turn off Cortana option.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 9, 2022
Thema:

Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

1. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2 - Similar Threads - Disable Cortana Home

2. Windows 10 ver 21H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 ver 21H2: I recently read that Microsoft is closing support for Windows 10 version 21H2 on June 11 2024. I'm not tech savvy, all I know is that I have Windows 10 Pro. I don't really know the specific version which is on my laptop. This leads to my question, should I upgrade to windows...
  3. Windows 10 ver 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 ver 21H2: I recently read that Microsoft is closing support for Windows 10 version 21H2 on June 11 2024. I'm not tech savvy, all I know is that I have Windows 10 Pro. I don't really know the specific version which is on my laptop. This leads to my question, should I upgrade to windows...
  4. Windows 10 ver 21H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 Home, ver. 21H2 “Restart” never seems to end, even after 30+ minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home, ver. 21H2 “Restart” never seems to end, even after 30+ minutes: Dan_de_Lion,1. Restart following a 3rdrparty software Update/Install, Malwarebytes recommended, displays blue screen with “Restarting” and rotating circle that never seems to end, even after 30+ minutes.2. Reluctantly, the only way to end the continuous cycle is to do a Hard...
  6. Win 10 Home, ver. 21H2 “Restart” never seems to end, even after 30+ minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Home, ver. 21H2 “Restart” never seems to end, even after 30+ minutes: Dan_de_Lion,1. Restart following a 3rdrparty software Update/Install, Malwarebytes recommended, displays blue screen with “Restarting” and rotating circle that never seems to end, even after 30+ minutes.2. Reluctantly, the only way to end the continuous cycle is to do a Hard...
  7. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

in Cortana
    Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2: Cortana randomly pops-up on my desktop while using latest MS Edge browser. I never want to use Cortana!! What's the "easiest" way to disable Cortana?...
  8. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2: Cortana randomly pops-up on my desktop while using latest MS Edge browser. I never want to use Cortana!! What's the "easiest" way to disable Cortana?...
  9. Disable cortana W10 Home

in Cortana
    Disable cortana W10 Home: I've followed instructions to change the windows search registry key but "Windows Search" key doesn't appear and if I try to add it, it says it exists already. Cortana is sucking the life out of this old machine so it needs to be disabled. How do I reveal the "Windows...
  10. Win 10 Home ver. Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home ver. Pro: What is the difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro. Is it worth the difference? 33407