Windows 10: Disable Cortana??

Discus and support Disable Cortana?? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gelbs, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Gelbs Win User

Disable Cortana??

How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this

This is after the new 1607 update.

:)

Gelbs, Aug 2, 2016

2. Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

That means that the program is defined under the "All Users" or "Local Machine" level of the registry (or equivalent all-user setting that can only be changed by an administrator). It's disabled from modifying because making a change would impact more than
    just you (it would impact all other users) and one user isn't allowed to modify someone else's settings, thus, you won't be able to modify these unless you are logged in as an administrator-level user and Task
    Manager is running in elevated security context. Or, you could ignore task scheduler and go disable the item at its real source (in the registry, Startup folder, etc.).

If you are having trouble find how to disable the item, try right-clicking on the column headers at the top to reveal more properties of each item in the list.

And if you still can't find it, just post back and I/we/someone will help out.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 2, 2016
  3. timmarek Win User
    Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

timmarek, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

Disable Cortana??

A lot of reports before the update stated that Cortana was no longer removable. I had it switched off using the various UI options and it is not showing, and we have a lot of users stating that it is no longer working. It's early days with this version an update may be in the works to at least get all systems to the same state but it is just a case of waiting.

Barman58, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Gelbs Win User
    Managed to sort it via a hack. I had to 'kill it' first via task manager, then apply the hack! *Smile

Gelbs, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Does the search still work, when you murdered her?! *Shock Just wondering, I thought, that Cortana = Search. *Think

TairikuOkami, Aug 2, 2016
  7. Gelbs Win User
    Yeah, I think so, lol.

Gelbs, Aug 2, 2016
  8. Barman58 Win User

Disable Cortana??

Way I understand it now there are multiple parts to Cortana, it's both the search engine and the low level AI speech engine, It was at one time possible to easily disable it all but now some parts are not switched so need some extra engineering to turn off

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disable Cortana??

1. Disable Cortana?? - Similar Threads - Disable Cortana

2. Disable "Windows+C" Cortana shortcut

in Cortana
    Disable "Windows+C" Cortana shortcut: I am trying to re-map a "mic" key on my keyboard that used to be used to pull up Cortana. When I try and do so it says that the key that is being pressed is "Windows+C". I am unable to disable the shortcut in Cortana because it says that it has depreciated. How can I disable...
  3. Disable "Windows+C" Cortana shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable "Windows+C" Cortana shortcut: I am trying to re-map a "mic" key on my keyboard that used to be used to pull up Cortana. When I try and do so it says that the key that is being pressed is "Windows+C". I am unable to disable the shortcut in Cortana because it says that it has depreciated. How can I disable...
  4. Disable "Windows+C" Cortana shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disable Cortana Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Cortana Shortcut: Hi allPlease Help!!!! Whenever I press the "CTRL" key on the left side of my keyboard, it opens Cortana. It's not available in my region and is driving me bananas as I use that key all the time. Does anyone know how I disable this? I have disable Cortana, both through...
  6. Disable Cortana Shortcut

Disable Cortana Shortcut: Hi allPlease Help!!!! Whenever I press the "CTRL" key on the left side of my keyboard, it opens Cortana. It's not available in my region and is driving me bananas as I use that key all the time. Does anyone know how I disable this? I have disable Cortana, both through...
  7. Does Cortana affect my laptop performance. If so, how can I disable it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Cortana affect my laptop performance. If so, how can I disable it?: Does Cortana affect my laptop performance. If so, how can I disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-cortana-affect-my-laptop-performance-if-so/6bf48b0c-f0fd-4b53-8d23-a3f4c168b11c
  8. Does Cortana affect my laptop performance. If so, how can I disable it?

Does Cortana affect my laptop performance. If so, how can I disable it?: Does Cortana affect my laptop performance. If so, how can I disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-cortana-affect-my-laptop-performance-if-so/6bf48b0c-f0fd-4b53-8d23-a3f4c168b11c
  9. How do I disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable Cortana?: The Cortana window keeps popping up saying: Cortana is not available in your region.It's impossible to uninstall, I tried to find a solution on the forums, but can't find anything that works for me.Please help, this is driving me crazy!...
  10. How do I disable Cortana?

How do I disable Cortana?: The Cortana window keeps popping up saying: Cortana is not available in your region.It's impossible to uninstall, I tried to find a solution on the forums, but can't find anything that works for me.Please help, this is driving me crazy!...