Windows 10: Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer

Discus and support Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer in Cortana to solve the problem; In Windows 10, when a file Explorer window is active and I press a letter key on keyboard, it selects the first file or folder starting with this... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Дмитрий Севастюк, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer

In Windows 10, when a file Explorer window is active and I press a letter key on keyboard, it selects the first file or folder starting with this letter. However, when there is no such file or folder, it plays the default "Windows background" sound. Is there a way to disable that sound specifically without disabling all system sounds? Or maybe to disable current folder search feature itself, as I don't use it?The issue is that it interferes with Discord's push-to-talk feature, so I get annoying sounds when trying to talk while browsing files.

:)

Дмитрий Севастюк, Oct 8, 2022
  2. Tokarii93 Win User

File Explorer search Current folder option doesn't work

Windows 10 Home Edition Build 19041 (update # 2004) - really exasperated this search problem in File Explorer.

Here's my 1-click workaround:

1. First of all, add the "Current folder" button/option from the "Search" tab to the "Quick Access" menu by doing the following:

• Start a search as you normally would by typing something into the "search" box on the top right of File Explorer and then press Enter.
    • When the "Search" tab appears, which IMHO is the whole root of the searching problem in File Explorer anyway - the tab should be visible BEFORE executing a search, right-click the "Current folder" icon/option in the "Search" tab and then select "Add to
      Quick Access Toolbar". If that option is grayed out then it has already been added to the Quick Access Toolbar and you will need to hover over the icons in the File Explorer Title Bar until you find the one that says, "Current Folder Search
      only in the selected folder, not in any subfolders."
    2. With the "Current Folder search ...." icon added into the quick access title bar it becomes easier to perform a search in just the current folder:

• Navigate to a folder you want to search. (For me, I always do one-click on the left navigation pane to select a drive, and then multiple double-clicks in the right-hand folder/file pane to navigate to a subfolder.)
    • Click the "Current Folder search" icon that you added to the quick access bar.

It may appear that nothing happened, but upon closer inspection you may see a light blue box around it with some shading. If you click it again, the box and shading should go away. These changes may be more visible if your title background color
      is something other than medium blue or if you switch to another app momentarily.

Note: this "quick access" toggle button has weird behavior, just like two separate icons/buttons labeled "Current folder" and "All subfolders" in the Search Tools tab -- toggling it while the "Search Tools" tab is open and then pressing F5 or clicking the refresh
      (clock-wise arrow) button may or may not perform the search you want.

• Type into the search box on the top right and press ENTER
      or click an item in the dropdown box, if the desired term appears in the dropdown!

Viola - search results as intended - current folder only, and didn't have to wait for search to complete.

Why didn't MS think of asking user how to perform the search, BEFORE doing the search? Also, why not just remember if user typically searches "Current folder only" or "All subfolders?"

I think for now on I am going to always make sure to look at the "Folder" column of the returned results to make sure everything is just from the one folder.

Tokarii93, Oct 8, 2022
  3. Tokarii93 Win User
    File Explorer search Current folder option doesn't work

Windows 10 Home Edition Build 19041 (update # 2004) - really exasperated this search problem in File Explorer.

Here's my 1-click workaround:

1. First of all, add the "Current folder" button/option from the "Search" tab to the "Quick Access" menu by doing the following:

• Start a search as you normally would by typing something into the "search" box on the top right of File Explorer and then press Enter.
    • When the "Search" tab appears, which IMHO is the whole root of the searching problem in File Explorer anyway - the tab should be visible BEFORE executing a search, right-click the "Current folder" icon/option in the "Search" tab and then select "Add to
      Quick Access Toolbar". If that option is grayed out then it has already been added to the Quick Access Toolbar and you will need to hover over the icons in the File Explorer Title Bar until you find the one that says, "Current Folder Search
      only in the selected folder, not in any subfolders."
    2. With the "Current Folder search ...." icon added into the quick access title bar it becomes easier to perform a search in just the current folder:

• Navigate to a folder you want to search. (For me, I always do one-click on the left navigation pane to select a drive, and then multiple double-clicks in the right-hand folder/file pane to navigate to a subfolder.)
    • Click the "Current Folder search" icon that you added to the quick access bar.

It may appear that nothing happened, but upon closer inspection you may see a light blue box around it with some shading. If you click it again, the box and shading should go away. These changes may be more visible if your title background color
      is something other than medium blue or if you switch to another app momentarily.

Note: this "quick access" toggle button has weird behavior, just like two separate icons/buttons labeled "Current folder" and "All subfolders" in the Search Tools tab -- toggling it while the "Search Tools" tab is open and then pressing F5 or clicking the refresh
      (clock-wise arrow) button may or may not perform the search you want.

• Type into the search box on the top right and press ENTER
      or click an item in the dropdown box, if the desired term appears in the dropdown!

Viola - search results as intended - current folder only, and didn't have to wait for search to complete.

Why didn't MS think of asking user how to perform the search, BEFORE doing the search? Also, why not just remember if user typically searches "Current folder only" or "All subfolders?"

I think for now on I am going to always make sure to look at the "Folder" column of the returned results to make sure everything is just from the one folder.

Tokarii93, Oct 8, 2022
  4. enso Win User

Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Oct 8, 2022
Thema:

Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer

1. Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer - Similar Threads - Disable current folder

2. File Explorer: expand to current folder not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: expand to current folder not working: Windows 11 Pro 22H2In file explorer the "expand to current folder" oèètion is enabled but it is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-expand-to-current-folder-not-working/c8d23e8c-de8e-4a5b-baf4-5b0251883c2d
  3. File Explorer: expand to current folder not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: expand to current folder not working: Windows 11 Pro 22H2In file explorer the "expand to current folder" oèètion is enabled but it is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-expand-to-current-folder-not-working/c8d23e8c-de8e-4a5b-baf4-5b0251883c2d
  4. File Explorer not respecting "Expand to current/open folder" value disabled when opening a...

File Explorer not respecting "Expand to current/open folder" value disabled when opening a...: I've run into what seems to be a bug with Windows, but maybe there's still a solution. I have the "Expand to current folder" option disabled in File Explorer. Typically, this works as expected. However, when I open File Explorer via right-clicking its taskbar icon and...
  5. Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer: In Windows 10, when a file Explorer window is active and I press a letter key on keyboard, it selects the first file or folder starting with this letter. However, when there is no such file or folder, it plays the default "Windows background" sound. Is there a way to disable...
  6. Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer

Disable current folder search error sound in Explorer: In Windows 10, when a file Explorer window is active and I press a letter key on keyboard, it selects the first file or folder starting with this letter. However, when there is no such file or folder, it plays the default "Windows background" sound. Is there a way to disable...
  7. Folder Explorer Search Bar

in Cortana
    Folder Explorer Search Bar: I have a minor search bar issue I notice for some time now...When i perform a search it used to pop up files with that match the text as I type. Any file not related to it would disappear....files without cat is still displayed....Now I have to hit the forward arrow to...
  8. File Explorer search Current folder option doesn't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search Current folder option doesn't work: Good morning, I am having a problem with my Windows 10 file explorer searches. When I search for an item, it brings back results in for the current folder and all subfolders as it should. When I click on "Current folder" in the search tools, however, it does nothing. I...
  9. Windows Explorer Search disabled?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Search disabled?: Version 1909 (18363.592) I opened my Documents folder to find a file. Tried to click into the Search entry field and I couldn't?! Any clues what could cause this? Is there a way to get this back Thanks David 150533
  10. No Error Sound on Searches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Error Sound on Searches: I no longer get an error sound on searches. No error sound on searches in Excel. (All other sounds work in Excel.) No error sound in searches done on Firefox. Possibly could have happened in September Tuesday upgrade --- I am not certain about that....