Windows 10: Disable Defragmentation of Boot Files

Discus and support Disable Defragmentation of Boot Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, In Windows 10 1903, to disable this via registry which path/key is used? If it's not possible to do via registry, is there a command to use in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kishvand, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Kishvand Win User

Disable Defragmentation of Boot Files

Hello,
    In Windows 10 1903, to disable this via registry which path/key is used?
    If it's not possible to do via registry, is there a command to use in a batch file?
    Thanks.

:)

Kishvand, Aug 22, 2019
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Defragmentation not working, and new update causing crashes

Hi,

It is possible that Disk Defragmenter service has been disabled or not properly running on your PC, causing defragmentation issues. To troubleshoot this, kindly try these following methods:

Run System File Checker

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do so, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Run this command: SFC /scannow
    • This may take several minutes to finish. If Command Prompt shows Verification 100% complete, close the command prompt and check if your issue has been fixed.

Check Disk Defragmenter service

Disk Defragmenter service is required to perform disk defragmentation. If Disk Defragmenter service and other services that is required to perform disk defragmentation is disabled, you may encounter issues doing defragmentation. To troubleshoot this, follow
    these steps:

• In the search box, search and open Services.
    • Find Disk Defragmenter service, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service Startup type is set to Manual.
    • Go back to the Services window and make sure that the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic:
      • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      • DCOM Server Process Launcher
      • RPC Endpoint Mapper

Regarding your issue with the Windows Update, kindly answer these following questions for us to assist:

• What is the update that you are trying to install (KB16XXXX)?
    • What are the specifications of your PC?
    • Do you receive any error messages when encountering a system crash?

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Aug 22, 2019
  3. Disable Defragmentation for SSD

Hi Stanislav,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to disable defragmentation on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Defragmentation is the process of consolidating fragmented data on a volume (such as a hard disk or a storage device). It rearranges fragmented data so your disks and drives can work more efficiently.

Follow the below steps to disable Defragmentation for Solid State Drives:

1. Launch the File Explorer (press Windows logo + E keys) right-click on the Solid State Drive disk, select

Properties and press the Tools tab.

2. Under Optimize and defragment drive, click on the
    Optimize button.

3. The Optimize Drives box will open. Click on the Change settings
    box.

4. Uncheck the Run on a schedule check-box and Click OK. This will disable Defragmentation.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Aug 22, 2019
  4. John Zab Win User

defragmentation

Hi Richard,

We have a couple of workarounds for defragmentation issues, try the following:

Method 1: Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 10.

• Press Windows key+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter chkdsk /f.
    Method 2:
    Run System File Checker (SFC)

Method 3: Check if Disk Defragmenter service is running properly.

This service is required for performing disk defragmentation, and if it’s disable, you won’t be able to run a defragmentation tool.

• Search for services.msc.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service is set to
      manual
    • Also, make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.
    Let us know how it goes.

John Zab, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Disable Defragmentation of Boot Files - Similar Threads - Disable Defragmentation Boot

2. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  3. Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation: I've read that one of the hints to increase the SSD's lifespan and to prevent losing data is through: Optimize Drives / Scheduled optimization / Off Disable. Is that true? Can disabling the scheduled optimization frequency e.g. weekly prevent early damage of SSD? What...
  4. Defragmenter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defragmenter: Since doing the Windows 10 May 2020 update last week my Disk Defragmenter /Optimiser shows not run. I have run the optimiser which seems to work OK but when I next reboot it shows not run ! I have performed a Scannow scan unsure what to try next any feedback would be...
  5. Disable SSD disk defragmentation FOREVER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable SSD disk defragmentation FOREVER: Most of my PCs have 2 hard drives - first SSD and second mechanical. So I disable defragmentation for SSD disk and change schedule to monthly for the second disk. But after any feature update installation configuration is changing to the the default weekly runs for all hard...
  6. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragmentation: My pc is not completing the defragmentation windows pop up and message saying I am not in Administrator A/c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/19327b67-a672-4ead-9ec0-eed5edf6ffa1
  7. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defragmentation: My D folder (system folder) is showing 100% fragmented. I have run multiple times disk defragmentation, analyze and optimize but it remains unchanged. It would really be nice if any suggestion could solve this problem. TiA....
  8. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...
  9. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...
  10. Permanently disable disc defragmenter

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Permanently disable disc defragmenter: I have a SSD installed, but with every major Windows update, I find that disc defreg schedule has been turned back on by the update. One day i will forget to check! Is there a way to permanently disable it? 96581