Windows 10: Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10

Discus and support Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello guys, i have a problem regarding dual-booting Windows 10 along Ubuntu. After installing Windows 10 and Ubuntu after it, i'm no longer able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by br4to92, Dec 23, 2017.

1. br4to92 Win User

Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10

Hello guys, i have a problem regarding dual-booting Windows 10 along Ubuntu. After installing Windows 10 and Ubuntu after it, i'm no longer able to boot into Ubuntu, it starst directly into Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, i could chose at startup which OS to run (using Linux's grub2 or Windows Metro bootloader). I have Secured boot option disabled inside BIOS. Also if i want to use EasyBCD 2.3 to edit boot settings, i get a warning that EFI Bootloader is detected. Is there a way to do it? Thanks!

Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

br4to92, Dec 23, 2017

2. Creator Update leads into Bootloop

Hello guys,

the troubleshooter always just deletes old updates, clears the update database and starts downloading the update again. of course its not taking any effect on my problem.

as i told you, the bootloader ist damaged after starting the installation. the bootloader created with the update does not start the update after reboot wich leads into a bootloop. the startup screen shows the old win 10 installation and the win 10 update,
    but both are broken (automatic restart after choosing one of them, without bluescreen (yes, bluescreen activated and reboot disabled).

after fixing the efi bootloader manually, the old windows 10 installation is working correctly.

(manual fix: del efi par, create efi par, write efi bootloader).

maybe this happens because i changed from legacy to uefi boot mode in the past and the update is detecting legacy boot mode and writing a wrong bootloader?

i think there is no solution for this except of a new clean install with creators update iso!?

thanks and greetings

mathias weklak

MathiasWeklak, Dec 23, 2017
  3. SusanF66 Win User
    Windows 10 and my 8.1/Mint 17.1 dual boot

I currently dual boot Windows 8.1 and Mint 17.1. When I turn on my computer, I see GRUB with a choice of Mint or the Windows bootloader. During the set up of my dual boot, I used a method that installed Mint's bootloader to the Windows 8.1 EFI system partition
    so that Mint boots in UEFI mode. Does the upgrade of Windows 10 install a new EFI partition and/or bootloader on an up-to-date Windows 8.1 machine? If so, is it possible to install Windows 10 to use the existing EFI partition for its own bootloader, preserving
    the ability to access the Mint partition without the need to repair/reinstall GRUB? Thanks.

SusanF66, Dec 23, 2017
  4. Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10

HI br4to92.

As a test try shutting of Hibernation in Windows 10 that will disable WIndows Fast Startup.

To a command prompt(admin) or power shell(admin)

powercfg -h off

To reverse, change the word off to on in command. I don't use EasyBCD so we will let a another member answer that question.

Caledon Ken, Dec 23, 2017
  5. br4to92 Win User
    Hello and thank you for your answer. I disabled the Hibernation as you said (now i don't have the 'Turn on fast startup (Recommended)' inside Power Options), but after a restart, nothing changes, still boots into Windows 10. From what i've read i think the EFI detects another bootloader at startup and deletes it (Linux's grub2), because normally, after Ubuntu's installation it should boot directly into grub2 bootloader (i attached a picture). I'm using EasyBCD usually to repair the Windows Metro bootloader (picture attached - it should look just like the screenshot) to chose from it which OS i want to use.

br4to92, Dec 24, 2017
  6. Well it was worth a shot. I had read it can cause issues. I'm sure there are members with experience and expertise in EasyBCD. Once we get over the holiday hump I'm sure you will get an answer.

Caledon Ken, Dec 24, 2017
  7. br4to92 Win User
    Thanks. I know it's not the right time to start a new topic, but i hope i'll get an answer (after the holidays), as you said. By the way, I wish you a Merry Christmas! *Smile

br4to92, Dec 25, 2017
  8. br4to92 Win User

I managed to solve the problem on askUbuntu forum. Basically, the Acer systems requires some additional steps inside BIOS (to mark "trust" the Ubuntu's EFI files and set them as 1st option as boot option), for enabling Ubuntu's Grub2 bootloader to start before Windows 10. Now everything works. I don't have to use EasyBCD inside Windows 10. Have a great weekend everyone!

br4to92, Dec 28, 2017
  9. Very cool. Thanks for posting the solution.

Happy New Year.

Caledon Ken, Dec 28, 2017
  10. br4to92 Win User
    Thanks! Happy new year! *Smile

br4to92, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable EFI bootloader

2. How do I rebuild the EFI folder for Windows Boot Manager aka the EFI bootloader?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rebuild the EFI folder for Windows Boot Manager aka the EFI bootloader?: I have messed around with my PC and have accidentally deleted the EFI folder for Windows and now I'm unable to boot to Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-rebuild-the-efi-folder-for-windows-boot/394a9535-98a6-4056-a71a-d1c595141fc4
  3. How do I rebuild the EFI folder for Windows Boot Manager aka the EFI bootloader?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I rebuild the EFI folder for Windows Boot Manager aka the EFI bootloader?: I have messed around with my PC and have accidentally deleted the EFI folder for Windows and now I'm unable to boot to Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-rebuild-the-efi-folder-for-windows-boot/394a9535-98a6-4056-a71a-d1c595141fc4
  4. How to repair the EFI bootloader in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to repair the EFI bootloader in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you recently moved from BIOS to UEFI and you cannot boot your computer since then, here is how you can repair the EFI bootloader in Windows 11/10. It is pretty easy to repair the EFI bootloader using bcdboot command, and this article shows how you can use the...
  5. I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows: I was installing Artix Linux and mounted Windows boot partition. By mistake, I run "rm /mnt -rf" /mnt is where I mounted the EFI partition. How can I add a boot entry for Windows?...
  6. Deleting Debian bootloader from Windows 10 EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Debian bootloader from Windows 10 EFI partition: Yes there is a way to restore EFI partition, but it is risky and not 100% it will always work... I installed debian as dual boot with Windows 10. I was assured on their forums, it won't put grub to Windows 10 efi partition and i created its efi partition for it on second...
  7. Fix Windows 10 Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix Windows 10 Bootloader: I installed Linux Ubuntu on external SSD and now i have problem with Windows 10 Bootloader. I always need to choose Boot Override and choose partition "Windows Boot Manager" in BIOS. How to fix it? [img] [img] 151685
  8. Fix Windows 10 Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix Windows 10 Bootloader: You're welcome. Hope it helps you get things squared away. --Ed--
  9. fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios: after i put a friends laptop hd in my computer and fixed his. i have a strange little 99MB fat32 efi volume\partition on the OS disk. and i never saw it before. and i have 2 boot loaders in bios. wont boot without one of them being selected. is it supposed to be there? can...
  10. No Bootloader for windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Bootloader for windows 10: Hello! Alright i desperately need help. When i installed windows 10 I had a separate drive attached with an installment of Windows 7. Now that i want to return that drive to the original owner my drive with Windows 10 installed on it refuses to boot because my motherboard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. disable windows 10 bootloader

3. Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10 br4to92

4. windows 10 update deletes grub,
  5. disable efi boot loader