Windows 10: Disable explorer?

Discus and support Disable explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It looks pretty but it is very awkward to use. How do I stop explorer being default. I cant even view PDF's on adobe. I cant find the tools in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Disable explorer?

It looks pretty but it is very awkward to use.
    How do I stop explorer being default.
    I cant even view PDF's on adobe.
    I cant find the tools in the menu

help please I am stuck

I don't want explorer at all..

:)

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016

2. Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

That means that the program is defined under the "All Users" or "Local Machine" level of the registry (or equivalent all-user setting that can only be changed by an administrator). It's disabled from modifying because making a change would impact more than
    just you (it would impact all other users) and one user isn't allowed to modify someone else's settings, thus, you won't be able to modify these unless you are logged in as an administrator-level user and Task
    Manager is running in elevated security context. Or, you could ignore task scheduler and go disable the item at its real source (in the registry, Startup folder, etc.).

If you are having trouble find how to disable the item, try right-clicking on the column headers at the top to reveal more properties of each item in the list.

And if you still can't find it, just post back and I/we/someone will help out.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 6, 2016
  3. timmarek Win User
    Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

timmarek, Jan 6, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Disable explorer?

essenbe, Jan 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have a feeling the OP is actually talking about Edge.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  6. caperjack Win User
    I agree ,but the tutorial will fix/set either app, and also set Adobe as default app for the pdf

caperjack, Jan 6, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    You guys may be right, it's about Edge not Explorer. But, when the default browser is set, it should take care of Edge too if something else is chosen.

essenbe, Jan 6, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Disable explorer?

Yes. Question is, does the OP know how to choose another default browser ?
    He asks about Menu Bar. Obviously he has IE in mind.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  9. it may be edge I am talking about - but where do I set me preferences. I cannot work it out all the screens are so different. And yes edge is pain and yes I never ever use IE

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016
  10. just found it - didn't realize there was a thing called edge - oh why oh why do tech companies have to develop redundant apps?

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    You said you never use IE.
    Then which browser do you have in mind to replace Edge as your default browser ?
    It's easy to show you how to install the browser you want and set it as default. But you have to yell us which browser.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disable explorer?

1. Disable explorer? - Similar Threads - Disable explorer

2. Windows Explorer Search disabled?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Search disabled?: Version 1909 (18363.592) I opened my Documents folder to find a file. Tried to click into the Search entry field and I couldn't?! Any clues what could cause this? Is there a way to get this back Thanks David 150533
  3. Internet Explorer 6.0 Disabled and I NEED it for Quickbooks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet Explorer 6.0 Disabled and I NEED it for Quickbooks: Something in my settings was changed and the effect was that it disabled Internet Explorer. I am now not able to open Quickbooks an old version due to this change. I do not know how to change the windows settings to enable Internet Explorer....
  4. How do you Disable Explorer's "Today", "Yesterday", and "Last Week" Groups

How do you Disable Explorer's "Today", "Yesterday", and "Last Week" Groups: I like my Downloads displayed as a straight alphabetical list, and not broken down by today, yesterday, and last week. When I go to Downloads this can be done by clicking "view" then "group by" and then "none." Windows, however, does not save that setting and the next time...
  5. Windows 10 - File Explorer's Video context ribbon has Add To Playlist disabled/grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - File Explorer's Video context ribbon has Add To Playlist disabled/grayed out: In File Explorer on Windows 10, when you select a video, the Video Tools ribbon becomes available, and "Add to playlist" is disabled or grayed out. It stays this way regardless of how many files are selected, and I cannot find any system settings relevant... unless it's some...
  6. How do I disable the view tab in file explorer with the group policy editor?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I disable the view tab in file explorer with the group policy editor?: It gives you the option to disable folder options, but the user can still turn file extensions and hidden items on to see them from the view tab in File Explorer. This makes disabling the folder options quite redundant in some ways. How can I stop the user from using the view...
  7. Windows 10 update bug disables right-click in File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update bug disables right-click in File Explorer: Windows 10 version 1909 (November 2019 Update) is gradually rolling out and several users have already installed the update. November 2019 Update is a small update and it promises better performance but this doesn’t necessarily mean that everything is going smoothly. As we...
  8. Disable Dark Mode For Windows Explorer Only?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Dark Mode For Windows Explorer Only?: Is there anyway to disable dark mode exclusively for the file explorer? I find most of the windows 10 UI unusable in light mode except for the explorer which I find very hard to parse in dark mode. Is there a way to disable dark mode exlusively in the file explorer?...
  9. In File Explorer, how do I disable Backspace from changing the folder.

In File Explorer, how do I disable Backspace from changing the folder.: In Windows 10, in File Explorer, when I'm working on naming files, because the backspace key is right next to the Enter key, I often hit it accidentally and it takes me to the previous folder. Please tell me how to disable this....
  10. Remove or Disable Drive Tools tab in WIndows File Explorer

Remove or Disable Drive Tools tab in WIndows File Explorer: Need to remove or disable Drive Tools tab in WIndows File Explorer where options Optimize, Cleanup and Format are available. Using Windows Home Edition....