Windows 10: Disable explorer?

Discus and support Disable explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It looks pretty but it is very awkward to use. How do I stop explorer being default. I cant even view PDF's on adobe. I cant find the tools in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Disable explorer?

It looks pretty but it is very awkward to use.
    How do I stop explorer being default.
    I cant even view PDF's on adobe.
    I cant find the tools in the menu

help please I am stuck

I don't want explorer at all..

:)

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016

2. Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

That means that the program is defined under the "All Users" or "Local Machine" level of the registry (or equivalent all-user setting that can only be changed by an administrator). It's disabled from modifying because making a change would impact more than
    just you (it would impact all other users) and one user isn't allowed to modify someone else's settings, thus, you won't be able to modify these unless you are logged in as an administrator-level user and Task
    Manager is running in elevated security context. Or, you could ignore task scheduler and go disable the item at its real source (in the registry, Startup folder, etc.).

If you are having trouble find how to disable the item, try right-clicking on the column headers at the top to reveal more properties of each item in the list.

And if you still can't find it, just post back and I/we/someone will help out.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 6, 2016
  3. timmarek Win User
    Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

timmarek, Jan 6, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Disable explorer?

essenbe, Jan 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have a feeling the OP is actually talking about Edge.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  6. caperjack Win User
    I agree ,but the tutorial will fix/set either app, and also set Adobe as default app for the pdf

caperjack, Jan 6, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    You guys may be right, it's about Edge not Explorer. But, when the default browser is set, it should take care of Edge too if something else is chosen.

essenbe, Jan 6, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Disable explorer?

Yes. Question is, does the OP know how to choose another default browser ?
    He asks about Menu Bar. Obviously he has IE in mind.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  9. it may be edge I am talking about - but where do I set me preferences. I cannot work it out all the screens are so different. And yes edge is pain and yes I never ever use IE

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016
  10. just found it - didn't realize there was a thing called edge - oh why oh why do tech companies have to develop redundant apps?

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    You said you never use IE.
    Then which browser do you have in mind to replace Edge as your default browser ?
    It's easy to show you how to install the browser you want and set it as default. But you have to yell us which browser.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disable explorer?

1. Disable explorer? - Similar Threads - Disable explorer

2. Win11 Pro file explorer constantly defaulting to grouping by date - how to disable grouping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Pro file explorer constantly defaulting to grouping by date - how to disable grouping: Hello,Recently I have been finding that some of my folders on Win11 Pro for one constant example, my Downloads folder keeps defaulting to grouping the folders by date. This even happens when I am going through the process of saving a file from various programs like when...
  3. Win11 Pro file explorer constantly defaulting to grouping by date - how to disable grouping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Pro file explorer constantly defaulting to grouping by date - how to disable grouping: Hello,Recently I have been finding that some of my folders on Win11 Pro for one constant example, my Downloads folder keeps defaulting to grouping the folders by date. This even happens when I am going through the process of saving a file from various programs like when...
  4. How do I disable One Drive notification in File explorer route bar?

How do I disable One Drive notification in File explorer route bar?: How can I disable te Onedrive back up notification in the file explorer in Windows 11. I've already disabled notifications and the backup of my files. I don't want to backup the files I had in my computer since I don't need it, but the message is quite annoying since it uses...
  5. How do I disable One Drive notification in File explorer route bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable One Drive notification in File explorer route bar?: How can I disable te Onedrive back up notification in the file explorer in Windows 11. I've already disabled notifications and the backup of my files. I don't want to backup the files I had in my computer since I don't need it, but the message is quite annoying since it uses...
  6. how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows: Hello,For the last many years I have been facing this issue. When I create a new file or move files from one folder to another, the files get automatically sorted within a few seconds. This makes it hard to find the files that I just created or copied. Most painful instance...
  7. how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows: Hello,For the last many years I have been facing this issue. When I create a new file or move files from one folder to another, the files get automatically sorted within a few seconds. This makes it hard to find the files that I just created or copied. Most painful instance...
  8. how to disable auto refresh of explorer in Windows

9. disable automatic expand of one drive folder when opening new explorer window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable automatic expand of one drive folder when opening new explorer window: whenever I open file explorer the one drive folder is auto expanded and takes too much screen space how do I disable this behavior ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatic-expand-of-one-drive-folder-when/26d5290d-c8ab-4087-918d-4940c8485bff
  10. disable automatic expand of one drive folder when opening new explorer window

disable automatic expand of one drive folder when opening new explorer window: whenever I open file explorer the one drive folder is auto expanded and takes too much screen space how do I disable this behavior ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatic-expand-of-one-drive-folder-when/26d5290d-c8ab-4087-918d-4940c8485bff