Windows 10: Disable explorer?

Discus and support Disable explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It looks pretty but it is very awkward to use. How do I stop explorer being default. I cant even view PDF's on adobe. I cant find the tools in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Disable explorer?

It looks pretty but it is very awkward to use.
    How do I stop explorer being default.
    I cant even view PDF's on adobe.
    I cant find the tools in the menu

help please I am stuck

I don't want explorer at all..

:)

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016

2. Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

That means that the program is defined under the "All Users" or "Local Machine" level of the registry (or equivalent all-user setting that can only be changed by an administrator). It's disabled from modifying because making a change would impact more than
    just you (it would impact all other users) and one user isn't allowed to modify someone else's settings, thus, you won't be able to modify these unless you are logged in as an administrator-level user and Task
    Manager is running in elevated security context. Or, you could ignore task scheduler and go disable the item at its real source (in the registry, Startup folder, etc.).

If you are having trouble find how to disable the item, try right-clicking on the column headers at the top to reveal more properties of each item in the list.

And if you still can't find it, just post back and I/we/someone will help out.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 6, 2016
  3. timmarek Win User
    Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

Disable button is greyed out when I try to disable a Startup program in task manager

timmarek, Jan 6, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Disable explorer?

essenbe, Jan 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have a feeling the OP is actually talking about Edge.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  6. caperjack Win User
    I agree ,but the tutorial will fix/set either app, and also set Adobe as default app for the pdf

caperjack, Jan 6, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    You guys may be right, it's about Edge not Explorer. But, when the default browser is set, it should take care of Edge too if something else is chosen.

essenbe, Jan 6, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Disable explorer?

Yes. Question is, does the OP know how to choose another default browser ?
    He asks about Menu Bar. Obviously he has IE in mind.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
  9. it may be edge I am talking about - but where do I set me preferences. I cannot work it out all the screens are so different. And yes edge is pain and yes I never ever use IE

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016
  10. just found it - didn't realize there was a thing called edge - oh why oh why do tech companies have to develop redundant apps?

3leggedcat, Jan 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    You said you never use IE.
    Then which browser do you have in mind to replace Edge as your default browser ?
    It's easy to show you how to install the browser you want and set it as default. But you have to yell us which browser.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disable explorer?

1. Disable explorer? - Similar Threads - Disable explorer

2. File Explorer CD Burn disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer CD Burn disabled: Compter: Dell Optiplex 9010 Win 10 Pro 20H2 19042.844 DVD/CD Drive: LG: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 Driver: MS 21/06/2006 10.0.19041.1 Device Type: DVD/CDRom drives Registry HKLM\Sftwr\MS\Win\CV\Polices\Explorer NoCDBurning 0 LocalGroupPolicy...
  3. Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in...: Reproduce I downloaded this latest blender alpha build zip-file https://builder.blender.org/download/ and extracted it's contents to replace update my existing application files of same app on my drive. The zip-file and archived subfolder path taken from 7-Zip File...
  4. Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?

Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?: I have inadvertently activated this green "Status online" icon in the Windows 10 20H2 file explorer status bar. This icon appears only for one Synology NAS directory. [img] I don't need any online indicator or functionality. Where can I disable/stop this function? 173555
  5. Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing.

Ogg files lag file explorer despite being disabled in indexing.: Ogg files slow the hell out of file explorer but i have disabled indexing for ogg and opus plus ive made sure "Web Media Extensions" is updated but the problem is still there...
  6. Disabled Mapped Drive causing Explorer to crash

Disabled Mapped Drive causing Explorer to crash: Hello, we have started experiencing a problem where if a user has a mapped drive to a network share, if that drive is disabled or they are removed from having access, the drive is causing explorer to hang and the pc is unusable. Deleting the drive or reinstating access...
  7. Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?: I have inadvertently activated this green "Status online" icon in the Windows 10 20H2 file explorer status bar. This icon appears only for one Synology NAS directory. [img] I don't need any online indicator or functionality. Where can I disable/stop this function? 173555
  8. Windows Explorer notification tray icon disabled and cant get it back.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer notification tray icon disabled and cant get it back.: So pretty simple issue, hoping for a simple solution. Win10 home ver. 10.0.19042 Build 19042 on a Lenovo yoga 7i Backstory: Oculus quest 2 was charging over night while plugged into the laptop. I assume windows keeps waking up periodically for whatever reason when its...
  9. How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop Explorer from clustering folders together? (I've already disabled grouping, etc): Hello everybody, I switched back to Windows from about a decade in OS X recently and the transition has been fine except for one annoyance: I do work where people send me jobs. Sometimes it's a folder with files inside, sometimes it's just one file. On OS X, I'd put all...
  10. Question: Is Microsoft planning on disabling Internet Explorer in Windows 10 in 2021?...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question: Is Microsoft planning on disabling Internet Explorer in Windows 10 in 2021?...: A big feature in Internet Explorer 11 I would really miss is MHTML support, especially from personal OneDrive! If you apply for a government job, including the United States Postal Service, they need you on IE 11. They’re well aware it’s not very polished, but government work...