Windows 10: Disable External Device Through USB

Discus and support Disable External Device Through USB in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an external device without an on/off switch connected to my computer that stays lit up even when the pc is locked or asleep. I would like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JackJhoOP, Mar 2, 2024.

1. JackJhoOP Win User

Disable External Device Through USB

I have an external device without an on/off switch connected to my computer that stays lit up even when the pc is locked or asleep. I would like to disable that one specific USB port when my computer is asleep so that it gets no power or be able to manually disable it so it shuts off without unplugging it every time. I have already tried to go into Device Manager and Disable the USB ports, it makes me have to restart my computer. Hibernating the computer does not work either. The only thing that works is flipping the power switch on the power brick.Not only does this waste electricity, but al

:)

JackJhoOP, Mar 2, 2024
  2. frozensun Win User

USB device not working on Optiplex 9010

I did plug in external HDD and went to device manager.
    There is none of unknown devices in the list (picture below)
    Disable External Device Through USB 281320d1591009114t-usb-device-not-working-optiplex-9010-a-dmanager.jpg

OK disabled and enabled USB 3.0 root hub and then pluged in external HDD,here is exclamation mark I got:

Disable External Device Through USB 281323d1591010072t-usb-device-not-working-optiplex-9010-a-dm2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

yep..solved the problem with your suggestion...thx a lot...

frozensun, Mar 2, 2024
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 2, 2024
  4. Disable External Device Through USB

What has happened to the additional drives that appeared in the Windows Explorer for external USB devices

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

For better understanding please answer the below questions:

• Does the USB drive shows in the Device Manager?
    • Is the computer detecting the connected USB devices?
    • Have you checked the USB drives on the different computers?
    I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Check if you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management. If you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management, follow the steps to assign the drive letter:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
      Add
      , click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click
      OK.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall USB controllers and check. This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right click a device and click Uninstall.
    • Repeat for each device. Once complete, restart your computer.
    • Your USB controllers will automatically install.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Mar 2, 2024
Thema:

Disable External Device Through USB

1. Disable External Device Through USB - Similar Threads - Disable External Device

2. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  3. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  4. Disable External Device Through USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable External Device Through USB: I have an external device without an on/off switch connected to my computer that stays lit up even when the pc is locked or asleep. I would like to disable that one specific USB port when my computer is asleep so that it gets no power or be able to manually disable it so it...
  5. USB Devices disconecting when downloading on external devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Devices disconecting when downloading on external devices.: When I download a bigger file on my extenal HDD all USB devices disconect at once and after few second they reconect again. I tried turning off the power saving option on USB drivers but nothing. I reinstalled the driver which helped at first but when I rebooted the computer...
  6. Listen to external device music through earbuds?

Listen to external device music through earbuds?: seems like an easy task but I'm missing something. I've read a tutorial on this site and can hear the music through my PC speakers but I can't hear through my earbuds. My setup is from the headset plug on my device (electronic piano) to the front mike input on my PC. I can...
  7. Play sound through 2 usb devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Play sound through 2 usb devices: Hello, i was wondering if I am able to play sound through 2 different usb headsets. I know you can do it with the default computer sound source and a headset. But I'm looking to have sound coming through 2 separate headsets. The stereo mix setting only allows for a head jack...
  8. How to disable autorun.inf on external devices/USB drives on Windows 10 Home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable autorun.inf on external devices/USB drives on Windows 10 Home: I am NOT talking about Autoplay, which can automatically copy pictures or open the drive with Windows Explorer. I'm takling about disabling autorun. I already tried a couple of different regedit values. It didn't do anything. This is a security flaw. Autorun can do a lot...
  9. External USB Drive Power On and Off Through Keyboard

External USB Drive Power On and Off Through Keyboard: I am looking for ways to easily turn on and turn off the power to my external hard drives through a shortcut or by some other simple mechanism. I have found lots of diagnostic tools, but nothing that would work like a light switch. The drives are both Seagate. Thanks for...
  10. Internal pointing device cant be disabled permanently when external USB pointing device is...

Internal pointing device cant be disabled permanently when external USB pointing device is...: Hi, I cant seem to make synaptics driver permanently disabled when my mouse is plugged in. Every time i restart my laptop, it just keeps re-enabling the touchpad. Is there a way to let it stay disabled? Im running on Windows 10 64 bit, if that makes u all wonder....