Windows 10: Disable F-Lock behavior of the Fn-Key on Microsoft Surface Keyboard

Discus and support Disable F-Lock behavior of the Fn-Key on Microsoft Surface Keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently purchased a Microsft Surface Keyboard and this is seriously bugging me. Is there some way of disabling this ... feature? I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GabrielPoama-Neagra, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Disable F-Lock behavior of the Fn-Key on Microsoft Surface Keyboard

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Microsft Surface Keyboard and this is seriously bugging me.

Is there some way of disabling this ... feature? I would like to go with the old FN + Caps for F-Lock and have the Fn button always act as an Fn button even if pressed by mistake.

More details

The problem is that Microsoft decided to kind of merge the Fn and F-Lock keys on the Fn Key.

So if you press it once it acts as F-Lock, changing the F Keys behavior. If you press it in combination with an F-key it acts as an Fn-Key.

The problem is that you can press it by mistake, and you don't understand why things aren't working until you lift your hand and check the F-lock status.

:)

GabrielPoama-Neagra, Mar 25, 2021

2. Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard FN key

Thank you very much Steve. The last sentence of article helped me:

"To enable FN Lock on the All in One Media Keyboard, press the FN key, and the Caps Lock key at the same time."

Marek Babinčák, Mar 25, 2021
  3. SteveB_85 Win User
    Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard FN key

Hi Marek! I'm Steve, an Independent Advisor and a Windows user like you. I'm happy to help with your query.

On Microsoft keyboards you should be able to use the 'F Lock' key to lock the keyboard to the F keys instead of the alternative commands. This key is usually located on the top row of the keyboard and there's a great article here with further details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/405226...

Please let me know if this helps or if I can be of any further assistance!

SteveB_85, Mar 25, 2021
  4. OmieWise Win User

Disable F-Lock behavior of the Fn-Key on Microsoft Surface Keyboard

Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID - Disable the FN-Key

I bought the Microsoft Modern Keyboard w/ fingerprint ID in Oct 2019 (grey color).

Maybe they made a change in the newer models, or perhaps you weren't doing it quite right. But here's what worked for me:

I had this same question, since there is no little 'lock' icon on the Escape key to toggle the Fn keys by pressing Esc+Fn... and that does not work.

I held the Caps Lock key down while pressing the Fn key, which worked!

Note that your goal is to have the little 'on' light on the Fn key be ON all the time, as opposed to being on only when you press the Fn key. The light on the Caps lock key works the same way- when On it indicates that it's 'locked' on.

Note: It might matter whether the CapsLock key is locked/on when you try to lock the Fn key, not sure... so try it both ways. I believe I had the CapsLock key light OFF when I did the Caps+Fn combo in order to set the Fn keys to be locked ON as default.
    The goal is, if you see the light remain ON for the function key, then you'll know you successfully locked it on.

Once you have the Fn key locked ON, then if you want to use the 'special' features on the F keys such as increase volume, you just just press the Fn key while pressing the F key of your choice. Note that the Fn key's light will go OFF for a moment in this
    case while you press it to turn volume up or down etc. It's now set in reverse to how it comes by default, -and you can reverse it back any time you want by pressing the Caps+Fn again to turn the Fn light OFF.

OmieWise, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Disable F-Lock behavior of the Fn-Key on Microsoft Surface Keyboard

1. Disable F-Lock behavior of the Fn-Key on Microsoft Surface Keyboard - Similar Threads - Disable Lock behavior

2. No FN or F-Lock key on new MS Ergo Keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No FN or F-Lock key on new MS Ergo Keyboard?: Just started using keyboard today and discover there's no F-Lock feature. Why? I have used Ctrl-F5 for years to force a hard browser refresh in multiple browsers. Not to mention many other functions. And with the removal of that single key and it's functionality, you've...
  3. No FN or F-Lock key on new MS Ergo Keyboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No FN or F-Lock key on new MS Ergo Keyboard?: Just started using keyboard today and discover there's no F-Lock feature. Why? I have used Ctrl-F5 for years to force a hard browser refresh in multiple browsers. Not to mention many other functions. And with the removal of that single key and it's functionality, you've...
  4. No FN or F-Lock key on new MS Ergo Keyboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys: Hi there,So I seem to have this problem with my external keyboard.The 'Fn lock' is enabled on my laptop, but still the F-keys on my external keyboard act as if it were off act as multimedia keys. When I turn off 'Fn lock' on my laptop, the F-keys on my external keyboard still...
  6. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys: Hi there,So I seem to have this problem with my external keyboard.The 'Fn lock' is enabled on my laptop, but still the F-keys on my external keyboard act as if it were off act as multimedia keys. When I turn off 'Fn lock' on my laptop, the F-keys on my external keyboard still...
  7. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

8. Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard?: Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard? I don't have those buttons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard-where-is-the-fn-or-f/b837fb05-1fe9-4b5f-917a-a05e9d5549a7
  9. Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard?

Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard?: Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard? I don't have those buttons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard-where-is-the-fn-or-f/b837fb05-1fe9-4b5f-917a-a05e9d5549a7
  10. Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, where is the FN or F-Lock? How would I F-Lock on this keyboard?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to lock fn key surface

2. how to disable fn key on bluetooth keyboard

3. microsoft surface keyboard fn lock

4. microsoft surface keyboard fn always on