Windows 10: Disable feature updates (upgrades)

Discus and support Disable feature updates (upgrades) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Currently I have "regular" updates disabled via GP (and occasionally I do a manual check, which then downloads and installs them). 1. Does this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by centen, Apr 3, 2017.

1. centen Win User

Disable feature updates (upgrades)

Currently I have "regular" updates disabled via GP (and occasionally I do a manual check, which then downloads and installs them).

1. Does this setting also stop feature updates (like the upcoming "Creators update") from being automatically downloaded and installed?
    2. If I do a manual check when a feature update is available, will it be downloaded and installed, just like the regular updates?

I assume the answer to both is YES, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, is there perhaps a separate setting that would let me block feature updates permanently, while still allowing me to install regular updates like I'm doing now?
    I know there's a "defer updates" option, but that only delays them, it's not a permanent block.

:)

centen, Apr 3, 2017
  2. Argel Obm Win User

How to disable Windows 10 feature updates?

Hi,

The updates in Windows 10 are automatic to ensure your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. If an update is making your computer unstable, you can temporarily prevent the update from being reinstalled until an updated fix
    is available. To do this, you can use the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter. You can download it
    here.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, Apr 3, 2017
  3. p1guy Win User
    How to disable Windows 10 feature updates?

I don't believe anyone from Microsoft posts on these forums. I think they are all volunteers and to their credit I have never seen them censor or delete any post, no matter how uncomplimentary they might be towards Microsoft.

You cannot stop feature updates alone. Any stopping updates procedure will also stop security updates.

p1guy, Apr 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I find this convenient. (Check for updates, then apply the option).

Disable feature updates (upgrades) [​IMG]

Defer features and updates can defer for months. (E.g. Pro not Home). That should give plenty of time to assess the Creator's Upgrade.

Or, create /update your disk image, upgrade, try it, if problematic, roll back or, worst case, restore your disk image.

I would expect the answer to 1&2 to be yes - there are various GPO options.

dalchina, Apr 3, 2017
  5. centen Win User
    I'd rather not use 3rd party tools and I don't see anything related to feature updates there, anyway.

I might try with WUshowhide, though. I'm guessing that could work for permanently hiding a feature update.

centen, Apr 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Then you can go to the site and see how it's done via GP or regedit. (Link on the tool as you can see).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable feature updates (upgrades) - Similar Threads - Disable feature updates

2. I want to disable all kinds of update whether it's feature update or window upgrade update etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to disable all kinds of update whether it's feature update or window upgrade update etc.: Actually, I have window operating system installed in ParkingLot which responsible for detecting LicensePlate so system keeps run all time. But sometime it automatically restarts for feature updates and while restarting it stuck on restart window and sometime it shows a...
  3. I want to disable all kinds of update whether it's feature update or window upgrade update etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to disable all kinds of update whether it's feature update or window upgrade update etc.: Actually, I have window operating system installed in ParkingLot which responsible for detecting LicensePlate so system keeps run all time. But sometime it automatically restarts for feature updates and while restarting it stuck on restart window and sometime it shows a...
  4. I want to disable all kinds of update whether it's feature update or window upgrade update etc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Disable Windows 10 features update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Windows 10 features update: Would it be possible to permanently disable Windows 10 features update but allow security updates to take place normally. 174723
  6. windows 10 upgrade, feature update

windows 10 upgrade, feature update: Cannot install feature update after many attempts. Leaves my screen white until I remove feature update. My computer is a Dell XPS 8300 that I purchased in 2012 operating on widows 7. Now I'm using Windows 10 Home, Version 1803 which was offered for free in 2018. Bios...
  7. Feature Upgrade: NO + Quality Updates YES not possible?

Feature Upgrade: NO + Quality Updates YES not possible?: Users cannot (at least in v2004) allow Quality=Security Updates but disable Feature updates (=to next major release). Is this correct? 168512
  8. Features Disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Features Disabled: A number of features have been disabled on my laptop, including my fingerprint sensor and Bluetooth. When I go to device manager, Bluetooth is under hidden devices and is grayed out. In settings, it does not give me the option to turn on Bluetooth again and it says Bluetooth...
  9. Disable installation of Feature Update 2004

Disable installation of Feature Update 2004: About 2 weeks ago, version 2004 showed up on the Updates list and automatically installed. Upon completion of the install, the computer was completely unusable: no application would load; those that started would hang and eventually 5 minutes fail. To attempt to remove the...
  10. How to disable windows update pause feature

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable windows update pause feature: I accidentally clicked the windows pause button. But I am interested to get the updates whenever Microsoft releases it. Is there any procedure to enable my daily updates...