Windows 10: Disable Folders on Start from GPO

Discus and support Disable Folders on Start from GPO in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey there! I've been cracking my brain for the past couple of days with this issue and I don't seem to be able to figure this one out. I'm working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PabloAncarola, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Disable Folders on Start from GPO

Hey there! I've been cracking my brain for the past couple of days with this issue and I don't seem to be able to figure this one out.

I'm working for an organization that has multiple guest users accounts across a lot of computers, and I've been tasked with the customization of the taskbar and start menu, I've been able to configure almost everything but the folders on start menu.

I need to push this through GPO so each guest user if possible, is not able to see the folders or if they can, they can't access them.

Disable Folders on Start from GPO e8eb1858-097a-4256-a47d-992551f0825a?upload=true.jpg
    I've been searching all over the forums and I wasn't able to find a way to do it through GPO, I can do it from each individual PC from Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folders appear on Start, and then from GPO disable users from re-enabling them but that seems a lot of unnecessary work if I can just disable them directly from GPO.

If anyone can assist me with this, that would be great!

Thank you.

:)

PabloAncarola, Dec 26, 2019
  2. d88david Win User

Adding OneDrive tile to start menu .xml with GPO

Hi Yasir,

Thank you for getting back to me but I have seen that suggestion which will not work for me. That steps suggested to do it manually which I'm trying to pin it to the start layout tile using .xml file via GPO. Below is the path where the OneDrive shortcut
    that I'm trying to pin to the start layout tile.

<startDisable Folders on Start from GPO :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneDrive.lnk" />

d88david, Dec 26, 2019
  3. how to disable folders to photos

Hi,

It could be the application that you're using that's causing the issue. Based on the troubleshooting steps you've previously done, we suggest that you reset the said application, then try to disable folders for photos once again. Here are the steps:

• Open the Start menu.
    • Click the Settings icon.
    • Click on System and then Apps & features in the left panel.
    • Identify the application which is not working properly, then select it.
    • Select Advanced options.
    • Click the Reset button to reset the application.
    • If you see a warning windows, just click on Reset.
    • You should see a check mark next to the Reset button, which means that it is
      completed successfully.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

PreciousLeb, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Rothamel Win User

Disable Folders on Start from GPO

GPOs to Disable Account Settings are not working

Hello,

I need to disable the below settings. I have tried using the below GPO settings, ran gpupdate /force and restarted 2 domain computers. I then logged into each computer with a different domain account. The live tiles were still changing. I am still able to add a PIN to the account. I was still able to add a Microsoft account. (I do not have a Work/School account but the option was still available. I added the same Microsoft account to both domain users. The Sync your settings is all grayed out and all set to off. However, I noticed the desktop background synced and the Favorites Synced. How do I disable all these settings so they cannot be used and are turned off?

Disable Live Tiles
    Disable Settings - Accounts - Sing-in Options - Create a PIN
    Disable Settings - Accounts - Your account - Add Microsoft account
    Disable Settings - Accounts - Your account - Add a work or school account
    Disable Settings - Accounts - Sync your Settings

Disable Live Tiles
    GPO - User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Teplates/Start menu and Taskbar
    Clear history of Tile notification on exit Setting: Enabled

GPO - User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Teplates/Start menu and Taskbar/Notifications
    Turn off notifications network usage Setting: Enabled
    Turn off tile notifications Setting: Enabled

Disable Settings - Accounts - Sing-in Options - Create a PIN
    GPO - Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/System/Logon
    Turn on PIN sign-in Setting: Disabled

Disable Settings - Accounts - Your account - Add Microsoft account
    GPO - Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options
    Accounts: Block Micorosoft Accounts Setting: User's can't add or log on with Microsoft Accounts

GPO - Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/App runtime
    Allow Microsoft accounts to be optional Setting: Enabled

Disable Settings - Accounts - Your account - Add a work or school account
    GPO - Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Microsoft Passport for Work
    Use Microsoft Passport for Work Setting: Disabled

Disable Settings - Accounts - Sync your Settings
    GPO - Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Sync your settings
    Don not sync Setting: Enabled

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Rothamel, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Disable Folders on Start from GPO

1. Disable Folders on Start from GPO - Similar Threads - Disable Folders Start

2. Windows Firewall with polices from a GPO - Stay persistent with firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall with polices from a GPO - Stay persistent with firewall disabled: Since the 1st of February, we have observed a new behaviour within an On-Prem AD and Windows 10. After Patch Tuesday 31st Jan.For any GPO defined with setting:Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows settings/Security Settings/Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced...
  3. Windows Firewall with polices from a GPO - Stay persistent with firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewall with polices from a GPO - Stay persistent with firewall disabled: Since the 1st of February, we have observed a new behaviour within an On-Prem AD and Windows 10. After Patch Tuesday 31st Jan.For any GPO defined with setting:Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows settings/Security Settings/Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced...
  4. Windows Firewall with polices from a GPO - Stay persistent with firewall disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Disable drives like "G" via GPO?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable drives like "G" via GPO?: Moin, I'm currently building a Citrix Farm with virtual machines (Windows 10 for the clients and Windows Server 2016 for the servers) running on terminal servers, now I don't want the users connecting to the Citrix Farm to see any drives. By default it is possible to disable...
  6. Disable Options in Micorosft Office using GPO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Options in Micorosft Office using GPO: [IMG] Does anyone know how to disable the Options on Microsoft Office using the Group Policy Editor? https://preview.redd.it/lwfi5gb5n0w41.png?width=1440&format=png&auto=webp&s=283d9da0ad5702307945c938e661938d23d07daf submitted by /u/m_beps [link] [comments]...
  7. Disable Edge from opening at Start

in Browsers and Email
    Disable Edge from opening at Start: I followed the latest directions I found in the Forum that were over a year old, until I couldn't. My system is Windows 10 Home version 1903. I've opted out of S Mode. My browser is Chrome, and I find it extremely annoying and time consuming to have to close Edge every time I...
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus will not disable from GPO

Windows Defender Antivirus will not disable from GPO: I reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer today, I was configuring the policies I use in the GPO. I found that Windows defender doesn't seem to respond to the Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus. As when I check Windows security Windows defender is still enabled. I am running...
  9. Windows will not disable from GPO

Windows will not disable from GPO: I reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer today, I was configuring the policies I use in the GPO. I found that Windows defender doesn't seem to respond to the Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus. As when I check Windows security Windows defender is still enabled. I am running...
  10. Disable Mail app via GPO

in Browsers and Email
    Disable Mail app via GPO: Hello, In our environment we have the problem that the default association for the mailto: protocol is not consistently set to open Outlook. So many users who click a mailto: link will be presented with the Mail app instead of Outlook. Then they end up logging in their...