Windows 10: Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

Discus and support Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format. Is there any way to stop windows from asking me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rEEEEleaseMEE, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

Hey,

I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format.

Is there any way to stop windows from asking me to format the drive, WITHOUT removing the drive letter?

Because the problem with removing the drive letter, is that if you do, you can't eject the device, to safely remove it.

Anyone?

:)

rEEEEleaseMEE, Oct 5, 2019
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 5, 2019
  3. Broken USB Stick (Bitlocker Encrypted, Unformatted drive)

A Sandisk USB stick of mine has become broken when word crashed when I was using it one day. All Files on this device are Bitlocker Encrypted.

When trying to use the USB stick normally:

• the password for Bitlocker is requested,
    • once entered, attempting to access the drive brings up that it is unformatted and requires formatting. However formatting the drive will apparently clear the drive of all data on it.

The data recovery software I'm trying to access the files with is:

MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition v7.0

I have also attempted removing bit locker from the drive, however this produces error code:

0x80070015

When command prompting:

manage-bde -off E:

IanClark_908, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

need to (un)encrypt a usb flash drive

Hi Malcolm,

For clarification regarding formatting your USB flash drive, when you say "I've already ran CMD prompt", did you run it under safe mode? If not, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Shutdown your PC.
    • Insert your USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer.
    • Turn on laptop, and then immediately start pressing F8.
    • Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
    • After loading files, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is G (for example), then write as:

C:\windows\system32>G:, and press Enter.

G:\>format G:, and press Enter.
    • Press Y, and press Enter.
    • Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

1. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick - Similar Threads - Disable format prompt

2. Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10: Hi all, I have a 256 GB micro SD card which used to work of sorts.....in that it would only load so much data then stop and say there is a problem. I re formatted it but now isnt even recognised by windows 10 which shows the sd drive in explorer but says please put a disk in...
  3. Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10: Hi all, I have a 256 GB micro SD card which used to work of sorts.....in that it would only load so much data then stop and say there is a problem. I re formatted it but now isnt even recognised by windows 10 which shows the sd drive in explorer but says please put a disk in...
  4. USB Stick: Encrypting Of ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Stick: Encrypting Of ?: Hello, Have a USB stick I would like to encrypt. The whole stick. It is formatted as FAT 32, and is readable on a mac or a 10 pc. I read on how to use BitLocker for W10, but I would like it to be (also) openable if plugged into a MAC. Any (simply) way of doing this ? Thanks,...
  5. USB Stick: Encrypting Of ?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Stick: Encrypting Of ?: Hello, Have a USB stick I would like to encrypt. The whole stick. It is formatted as FAT 32, and is readable on a mac or a 10 pc. I read on how to use BitLocker for W10, but I would like it to be (also) openable if plugged into a MAC. Any (simply) way of doing this ? Thanks,...
  6. USB stick appropriate format for Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB stick appropriate format for Windows: Greetings everyone. I couldn't find a better community to ask my question. I have two USB sticks (8 & 32 GB) and I forgot which format they came in when I purchased them. Recently I used both to get a Windows installation using the Media Creation Tool. Now I want to format...
  7. Re-formatting a USB Stick to FAT32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-formatting a USB Stick to FAT32: I need to re-format a USB device in FAT32, my only choice in WINDOWS 10 is NTFS, can you guide me please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-formatting-a-usb-stick-to-fat32/50561bf2-bf57-4d52-9b9f-2e31133c8748
  8. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick: Hey, I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format. Is there any way to stop windows from asking me to format the drive, WITHOUT removing the drive letter? Because the problem with removing the drive letter, is that if you...
  9. Prompt to format USB disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prompt to format USB disc: Hi, Windows 10 Pro with all the updates up to November 15, prompts to format my WD Passport Ultra 1TB which is full of valuable data. In Disk Management the USB drive was NTFS and now is RAW I’ve always ejected it properly! I’ve tried the following 1. changed...
  10. Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues: [img] help how do i fix this problem. it's been a real problem for the past 3 weeks. 112838