Windows 10: Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

Discus and support Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On Windows 10, latest updates installed (which is what caused this problem in the first place). I do not want this crazy "grouped by date" in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by akerbeltzalba, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

On Windows 10, latest updates installed (which is what caused this problem in the first place). I do not want this crazy "grouped by date" in the Downloads folder, I have a fairly elaborate folder setup in there and "grouped by date" means I cannot find anything any more.

I dug around on the web and found the method of opening Explorer, going to View > Group by > (None) but while that fixes the Downloads folder, this is not universal. For example, when I access the Downloads folder from Word via Open or Save as, then the view is still grouped by date. I can do the right-click > Group By > None thing from within Word (for example) but that seems to be tied to the session. If I close Word and open it again, I'm back to the darn "Grouped by date" view.

How do I turn it off permanently *everywhere* in Windows 10?

:)

akerbeltzalba, Aug 20, 2019

2. Disable group by in Downloads folder (Windows 10 1903)

Hi, since I updated to the new Windows 1903 version the files in some folders like
    "Downloads" are always grouped by the date. I was able to disable this in the File Explorer itself by choosing
    "Group by = none". But in all kind of "Save as" dialogs from any application the group by date still appears and in those special explorer windows there is no option to disable file grouping in them. So how can I disable this globally?

chap_sistine, Aug 20, 2019
  3. kormath Win User
    Date separator in Downloads folder

Details, like it's always been, changed it to List and the sorting is worse, and the separators remain. And this only affects the downloads folder, Documents, Desktop, and other default folders don't show this.

Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely [​IMG]

Oh you said Group By, read that wrong. Date Modified, if i change it to Name or something else the date separators are still there.

kormath, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

downloads folder sorted into dated groups, WHY? How to change back?

I just downloaded a file and discovered that (since the 1903 upgrade I believe) the downloads folder is sectioned into dated groups. This is the most awful thing for me and I can find no way to put the folder back into a simple list. Other folders I have
    opened so far don't seem to suffer from this abomination. Does some developer think I don't know how to find the date or sort the way I want to in this or other folders? I hope there is someone out there that can help me reverse this stupidity.

Edit: I found the Group By view and corrected my issue. No idea how it changed. Sorry for the rant.

DarkkHelmet, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

1. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely - Similar Threads - Disable grouped date

2. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...: Hello,I got a real burden with recent update of Windows 11. My downloads directory became grouped in Explorer by date. I can set grouping to none but all subdirectories still remain grouped.So I want to remove grouping from Directory folder and subfolders but preserve...
  3. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...: Hello,I got a real burden with recent update of Windows 11. My downloads directory became grouped in Explorer by date. I can set grouping to none but all subdirectories still remain grouped.So I want to remove grouping from Directory folder and subfolders but preserve...
  4. Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER: Hi All, The first beauty I've discovered following my recent corporate W10 upgrade to build 10.0.18363.1198 it is that the Downloads folder keeps getting sorted by date modified no matter what. I switch to View, go to Group By and select None there, after which it lasts a...
  5. Downloads folder shows group by date - no choice in group by menu for NONE

Downloads folder shows group by date - no choice in group by menu for NONE: My downloads folder and other folders when using a save as shows files grouped by dates - I prefer just a plan list in which I can select a sort by clicking on the columns. The instructions for changing this state to right-click on the white space, then select group by then...
  6. Group By Date in Folders as the Default

Group By Date in Folders as the Default: This is my formal complaint about the awful default setting to group by date in folders. It is seriously just a less useful and more annoying way to sort by column. Why in the world would I want to default be sorted and group by date? What does that accomplish? Other...
  7. Downloads folder keeps resetting to group by date

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downloads folder keeps resetting to group by date: Same issue posted here but I can't comment because it's "archived". The old post says it happened last year, but for me it has been going on for the past 2-3 months only. My normal layout for this folder is : no grouping, detailed view, added "creation date column" and sort...
  8. Group by date in download...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Group by date in download...: Hi there, hopefully someone can help as both google and MS forums have proven incredibly unhelpful... I'm really annoyed by the grouping in the downloads folder, have no idea what fumes MS were high on when they decided to make this feature preapplied, but it's the best...
  9. Disable group by in Downloads folder

Disable group by in Downloads folder: Ever since Windows 10 has updated to 1903 files in the default Downloads folder are being grouped by date. I tried changing it to none but it keeps resetting back - sometimes after restart, sometimes just pressing refresh is enough to reset it back. How can I permanently...
  10. Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified

Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified: Since the Windows update in June, my Downloads folder is grouping by date modified. I have changed this in File Explorer, but I can't see how to change it when I am saving a file. For instance, if I download an update or a new app, I usually save it to a folder in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove groups from downloads folder

2. windows 10 stop downloads grouped by date