Windows 10: Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in...

Discus and support Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to disable Graphics/GPU Hardware Acceleration for built-in “Movies & TV” and “Photos” apps, or, speaking more broadly, a workaround that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by &Aidar, Jun 25, 2019.

1. &Aidar Win User

Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in...

Is there a way to disable Graphics/GPU Hardware Acceleration for built-in “Movies & TV” and “Photos” apps, or, speaking more broadly, a workaround that would apply to all UWP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform) apps for Windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft Store?

OS: latest Windows 10 May 2019 build 1903 [Version 10.0.18362.175]

I) Problem Description and Workarounds:

1) The driver/graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4350 on my PC is incompatible with “Hardware Acceleration” feature when playing videos on Windows 10 ver. 1903.

The symptom: green screen is shown instead of videos, while audio track plays fine.

2) The problem is not unique, has existed for many years, e.g. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/musicandvideo/forum/xboxvideo/how-to-disable-hardware-acceleration-in-windows/82cae408-5885-4aa1-8d0d-76e3634248d5, https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1230977, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-hardware-acceleration-win8/956fd776-f673-49fe-9110-4defa82cee07.

3) The issue affects Internet Explorer & Edge (when playing YouTube videos), built-in “Movies & TV” and “Photos” UWP apps (when viewing video files), VLC (when playing H.264 movies).

The workaround that fixes both IE and Edge is Internet Explorer -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Accelerated Graphics -> enable “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering” (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...sable-software-rendering-in-internet-explorer).

The workaround for VLC media player is to open Tools menu -> Preferences -> Input / Codecs. Then in case of [Simple settings], set “Hardware-accelerated decoding” to Disable. In case of [All settings], go to Video codecs subcategory -> FFmpeg -> set “Hardware decoding” to Disable.

4) Buying a new graphics cards does not seem to be prudent, as quiet, fanless ATI Radeon HD 4350 fully satisfies all demands, aside from this issue; there is no need to increase waste at some landfill, when Windows 10 could just have a checkbox for UWP apps similar to the explicit one in IE/Edge, hidden one in MSOffice (see II.d below) or a registry key.

II) Troubleshooting steps that did not help:

a) Disabling an option in Photos app Settings -> “Use hardware-accelerated video encoding when available” as it does not apply to viewing/decoding.

b) Opening Windows 10 Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics settings (link at the very bottom) -> selecting the relevant “Universal app”, then clicking the Options button does not help either, because the PC has a single ATI graphics card, so “Power saving GPU” and “High performance GPU” options both point to the same.

c) Setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration to 1, then rebooting the system, has no effect on this problem (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/do...ltimedia/graphics-rendering-registry-settings).

d) It seems that Microsoft Office team monitors these kinds of issues (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ie/office/troubleshoot/troubleshooting/office-display-issues): “The list of video card/video driver combinations that trigger this automatic disabling of hardware graphics acceleration is not documented because the list is hard-coded in the Office programs and will be constantly changing as we discover additional video combinations that cause problems in Office programs”. UWP team could use this data to help users “fix” Microsoft Store apps too.

e) Graphics driver data from dxdiag:

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x954F)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_954F&SUBSYS_E990174B&REV_00

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1129 (English)

Driver Version: 8.970.100.9001

DDI Version: 10.1

Feature Levels: 10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

(this is the latest version, “provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update” - https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1311)

Detachable GPU: No

Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Applicable

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 1/13/2015 3:00:00 AM, 1094024 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D60F-11CF-9270-9AC9BEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x954F

SubSys ID: 0xE990174B

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem12.inf:cb0ae4148d05d541:ati2mtag_R7X:8.970.100.9001Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in... :pci\ven_1002&dev_954f

Rank Of Driver: 00D72001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

As newer WDDM 1.2 introduced “video playback improvements” (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/d3d11-video-playback-improvements, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#WDDM_1.2), it is possible that Green Screen hardware-accelerated video playback problem applies to all older WDDM 1.1 drivers when installed on Windows 8/10, regardless of vendor, but I do not have hardware to check this hypothesis (some evidence: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/no-video-playback-with-wddm-120-ati-drivers/47d678f7-db13-41c0-b28c-0ccfe0a4b43e). In this case it seems Microsoft could fix this by either channeling hardware-acceleration attempts to software processing on WDDM 1.1-only systems or by artificially showing hardware acceleration for video playback as unavailable to avoid Green Screens (maybe add a special checkbox for this, as did IE/Edge team).

In case anybody has an older graphics card with WDDM 1.1 driver (launch built-in dxdiag.exe, go to Display tab, see Driver Model in Drivers section), it would be interesting to see if the problem exists.

Thank you.

:)

&Aidar, Jun 25, 2019
  2. bro67 Win User

How to disable hardware acceleration?

The green screen in videos happens with Flash, not video drivers. You have disable Flash Hardware acceleration in its setting when you right click on the video. If it happens with HTML5 videos, then you have to disable the web browser Hardware acceleration.

This has been an issue since 10240 came out. It is happening with both AMD & NVidia GPU's. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is still on the bug list when I pulled down 10525, which brought other headaches.

bro67, Jun 25, 2019
  3. intel graphics & 'hardware acceleration' in chrome

It is not just for video decoding.

If you go to chrome://gpu you can see what is being accelerated.

PolarNettles, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in...

Disabling hardware acceleration

Hi, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and whenever I play a video (YouTube, Facebook, etc) the screen is green and people say that disabling hardware acceleration fixes it. But here is the thing, I don't know how to disable hardware acceleration.
    I have been reading and searching many ways to but nothing helps. When it tells me to go to Control Panel>Display>Screen Resolution and click advanced setting it tells me to to go to the troubleshooting tab even though there is none. Thanks all in reply.
    Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in... :)

Tobe Reade, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in...

1. Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in... - Similar Threads - Disable Hardware Graphics

2. how to fix hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported or video graphics driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to fix hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported or video graphics driver: When I click on gamespre installed and open any game it shows this error hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported like thisPlease give me a solution...
  3. how to fix hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported or video graphics driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported or video graphics driver: When I click on gamespre installed and open any game it shows this error hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported like thisPlease give me a solution...
  4. Cannot Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows 11: I have Windows 11 Pro and I have tried disabling Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling HAGS from both the Default Graphics Settings menu and in the registry under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers HwSchMode. Either way, when I restart...
  5. Disable Hardware Acceleration

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Hardware Acceleration: Hi Microsoft Team, I am installing ABACUS SIMULA application. Application could not fully install or run successfully. The suggested action is as shown below just copied and paste from verify log...
  6. Screen Dimming and GPU Hardware acceleration,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen Dimming and GPU Hardware acceleration,: Hi there, I am Akshit Gupta, I had a query about two things First:- I have an HP LAPTOP with windows 10 2004 version, Now the issue is that, when I use it while charging plugged in to charger, it works fine, but when I switch off the charger, and use it on battery, what...
  7. Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling: Hello, I understand that Nvidia supports the titled feature with their new driver released yesterday. Is the ability to activate this feature tied to the 2004 Windows 10 update? My system apparently is still not ready for 2004, and I do not have the toggle for...
  8. Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in...

Disable Hardware Graphics (GPU) Acceleration to avoid Green Screen while playing videos in...: Is there a way to disable Graphics/GPU Hardware Acceleration for built-in “Movies & TV” and “Photos” apps, or, speaking more broadly, a workaround that would apply to all UWP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform) apps for Windows 10 downloaded from...
  9. Disable hardware acceleration

Disable hardware acceleration: How can I disable hardware acceleration for my graphic adapter? It seems the new version of windows 10 do not have the "troubleshooting tab" for the graphic adapter....
  10. Windows 10 green screen while playing videos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 green screen while playing videos: why am i getting a green screen every time i watch videos on my laptop using windows 10 i can't play video's in settings & Netflix same problem there is a voice but on green screen!!! tell me what to do other answers didn't help me at all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable gpu acceleration windows 10 1903

2. turn off hardware acceleration windows 10 1903

3. windows 10 hardware graphics acceleration issues