Windows 10: Disable installing software with exe and msi

Discus and support Disable installing software with exe and msi in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 PC (pro) and it's a shared PC at home. I have only 1 account on it and it's shared with the family. The main user is at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hooby1, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Hooby1 Win User

Disable installing software with exe and msi

I have a Windows 10 PC (pro) and it's a shared PC at home. I have only 1 account on it and it's shared with the family.

The main user is at administrator level and is only the main account we use.

I could setup 3 accounts: 2 as a standard user and keep 1 as the administrator but I dont really want to as this PC is only used for Office by everyone as we are all adults. The PC doesn't even have Internet access unless we plug the cable in.

Now my question is because the main account is at administrator level, they can install software that comes in either exe or msi format.

Is it possible to prevent the installation of software so that only 1 person can install software just by a click of a setting or registry change so that no one else can?

I have tested with GPO by disabling Windows Installer Service, but that just stops msi files from running. It doesn't stop exe setup files from running.

What I would like is to run either a batch or powershell script that I can run and it stops the installation of setup files from loading. If someone wanted some software installing I could double click this file and install the software and once complete, click another file that prohibits other software from being installed when I have finished using the PC.

Any ideas would be grateful?

:)

Hooby1, Feb 22, 2021
  2. rkimber Win User

Powershell command for installing exe and msi

Can someone help me with powershell commands for installing some exe and msi files from a pendrive?

I have apps like Cisco Jabber (MSI), Cisco AnyConnect (exe), Dell Command Update (MSI), and Webex Teams(MSI) I need to add to my powershell script to automatically install the software.

1: Not sure how to set the script so it knows where the installer file is located on the pendrive.

2: Need proper syntax for auto installing an executable or MSI.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

rkimber, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Windows Installer Error: This installation package cannot be opened.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help you answer your query.

The above error can occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to install the software successfully.

• Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
    • Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
    • Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The
      Subject
      box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the software that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Faulting application name: bad_module_info when trying to run exe installer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Do you receive any error message when you run the .exe installer?
    • Which version of Windows is installed on the computer currently? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.

As you have mentioned that you have Kaspersky installed on the computer, it could be that Kaspersky is blocking the installers to run. I suggest you to try disabling Kaspersky and see if that helps. Please follow the steps to disable Kaspersky:

1. Type Kaspersky in the search bar on the
      Taskbar and open it from the search results.
    2. Now, click on Settings.
    3. Click on Additional and then click on
      Self-Defense.
    4. Clear the check box for
      Enable Self-Defense to disable Kaspersky.
    5. If you receive any prompt, click on Continue.

Note: Disabling Antivirus software may open the computer to threats. Make sure to enable it after performing the troubleshooting.

You can also check if the application that you are trying to run is Quarantined by Kaspersky. If the application is Quarantined, restore the application and see if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Kaspersky in the search bar on the
      Taskbar and open it from the search results.
    2. Click on More tools.
    3. In the Tools window, click on
      Quarantine
    4. Look for the .exe installer that you are trying to run. If you find the installer, right click on it and select
      Restore to restore it to its original location.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Disable installing software with exe and msi - Similar Threads - Disable installing software

2. can't run/install some .exe/.msi files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't run/install some .exe/.msi files: when i start a .exe it works most of the time, but sometimes it won't start if it does not open, it often does when running it over the CMD, Run as Admin doesn't help, also when installing a .msi file, windows installer doesn't give me any errors app does not open & no error,...
  3. can't run/install some .exe/.msi files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't run/install some .exe/.msi files: when i start a .exe it works most of the time, but sometimes it won't start if it does not open, it often does when running it over the CMD, Run as Admin doesn't help, also when installing a .msi file, windows installer doesn't give me any errors app does not open & no error,...
  4. i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.: i get the message "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor..." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-problem-with-installing-msi-files-exe-is/a22bbd1a-86b0-472c-97fb-84df31de31e0
  5. i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.: i get the message "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor..." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-problem-with-installing-msi-files-exe-is/a22bbd1a-86b0-472c-97fb-84df31de31e0
  6. Disable installing software with exe and msi

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable installing software with exe and msi: I have a Windows 10 PC (pro) and it's a shared PC at home. I have only 1 account on it and it's shared with the family. The main user is at administrator level and is only the main account we use. I could setup 3 accounts: 2 as a standard user and keep 1 as the...
  7. Exe not working for a software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exe not working for a software: I installed a softwareFrosty mod manager and I have tried for 24 hours to make it work but still cant open it. I have no antivirus installed I have watched all vids on utube but still cant do anything Any solutions?...
  8. How to test PS1, EXE, MSI installer in Windows Sandbox

in Windows 10 News
    How to test PS1, EXE, MSI installer in Windows Sandbox: [ATTACH]Windows Sandbox is a security feature in Windows 10, which allows you to test applications and scrips safely. The feature lets users run untrusted applications […] This article How to test PS1, EXE, MSI installer in Windows Sandbox first appeared on...
  9. Powershell command for installing exe and msi

in Windows 10 Support
    Powershell command for installing exe and msi: Can someone help me with powershell commands for installing some exe and msi files from a pendrive? I have apps like Cisco Jabber (MSI), Cisco AnyConnect (exe), Dell Command Update (MSI), and Webex Teams(MSI) I need to add to my powershell script to automatically install the...
  10. Add .exe or .msi packages to be installed (Windows ICD)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add .exe or .msi packages to be installed (Windows ICD): Forgive me if I sound totally stupid for asking this but how do I use ICD to add apps such as MS Office 365, Chrome etc using Windows ICD because I can't find anything on search engines and the only option I can see allows .appx files and app bundles only. Please point me...