Windows 10: Disable Network Discovery?

Discus and support Disable Network Discovery? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi if someone could help me with the following I would be most grateful thanks! Every time i turn off network discovery and file and printer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by buzzhard, Dec 29, 2016.

1. buzzhard Win User

Disable Network Discovery?

Hi if someone could help me with the following I would be most grateful thanks!

Every time i turn off network discovery and file and printer sharing,after restarting my PC it has turned back on again.How can i get to set it to stay off permanently? I am on a home network but have my PC set to public.

Win 10 x64 Home

:)

buzzhard, Dec 29, 2016

2. Network Connection Disabled

Please confirm that under the Ethernet adapter "allow computer to turn off device" is unchecked and wake is checked.

(network & sharing>advanced adapter settings>power management>

Disable Network Discovery? [​IMG]

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 29, 2016
  3. network card disable

Hello Dom,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue after upgrading to Windows 10, physical network card didn’t get dynamic ip address on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try the following methods given below and check if that helps.

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in
    “Safe Mode”
    , let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some
    third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.

• Reboot the system.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on February 6, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

Suggestions in this thread to “Automatically detect LAN settings”
    and Winsock and IP reset has helped many community members to get this issue resolved.

Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox are not working in Windows 8

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Dec 29, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You do not want to disable Network Discovery. Otherwise you are going to break the Operating system. If it is set to Public on your private LAN, you need to reset it to Private.

bro67, Dec 30, 2016
  5. buzzhard Win User
    Thanks for your reply!

Sorry it is set to workgroup not homegroup,will that make any difference?

I just want the settings which give me the most privacy and I'm not bothered in sharing files/printers

buzzhard, Dec 30, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Every LAN is a Work Group if it is not a Domain. You do not have to worry about files & printers if they are not shared. Network Discovery has to stay on, so that it can locate the Modem/Gateway connection and also the Printer if you have a Network Printer and the WiFi network.

You do not have privacy when using the Internet. Even on your own computer, everything you do is not private, unless you are going to lock it in a safe and have multiple layers of security, that you could end up forgetting those various passwords and then you are SOL.

bro67, Dec 30, 2016
  7. buzzhard Win User
    Hi when i meant privacy I meant on my home network ..not sharing stuff.

Here is an image of what my connection looks like in network and sharing centre ..should I continue with it set to public or change it to private? also which is the best way to do this? my apologies but I find all this groups/domains ect.. a tad confusing lol ..Thanks

https://i.stack.imgur.com/nW3y4.png

buzzhard, Dec 30, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

In Advanced sharing options, leave Network Discovery enabled, disable the Sharing options. If you are off of the network, use the built in Firewall. You have to go into System and then Settings to Network to change your adapter to "Private" for your home LAN, so that you will be able to connect to your printer and if you have a NAS, it will allow you. Public automatically enables the Firewall and disables all sharing options. Not good for home networks, since it also causes other items in the OS to not be enabled, which can make you think that the OS is broken when it is not.

You are not on a Domain, so you do not have to worry about that, same as groups. LAN that is not a Domain is classified as a "Work Group", regardless if it is your personal or a public LAN.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable Network Discovery? - Similar Threads - Disable Network Discovery

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  4. why does microsoft disable network discovery?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why does microsoft disable network discovery?: why does Microsoft disable network discovery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-microsoft-disable-network-discovery/317ceb9a-b3e4-474c-8b92-c45a9d558e72
  5. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  6. Network Discovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Discovery: Hi I wanted to know more about network discovery and can someone view files when turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-discovery/fe481712-64da-43d8-94af-2b05f88c1d13
  7. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. Disable UPnP without disabling Network discovery

Disable UPnP without disabling Network discovery: I want to disable UPnP because the port are being open without my notice. My modem does not allow disabling UPnP. When I search on Google, it just give me tutorial how to disable Network discovery. That's not what i want, because i use it. I want to disable UPnP on Windows so...
  10. Network discovery

Network discovery: Is it safe to leave netwrok discovery on and file sharing off? Because I was just wondering if I should turn it off for my home computer since other devices have had virus before. Can I get a virus if I leave network discovery on and file sharing off, if I have another...