Windows 10: Disable network sharing

Discus and support Disable network sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If you're not seeing the Computer Browser in Services .... The Computer Browser service relies on SMBv1 and the browser service is uninstalled if the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Eagle51 Win User

Disable network sharing

If you're not seeing the Computer Browser in Services ....
    The Computer Browser service relies on SMBv1 and the browser service is uninstalled if the SMBv1 client or server is uninstalled.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Cerawy Win User

I want to disable network sharing completely. I followed this guide, but the other computers still shows up. Also, the sharing tab doesnt appear in properties.

:)

Cerawy, Apr 20, 2018
  3. after disabling the local area network ,it is misssed from the network sharing center

after disabling the local area network ,it is misssed from the network sharing center

DilipBalia, Apr 20, 2018
  4. Mitza_tza Win User

Disable network sharing

N97 "MTP usb device failed" windows 7

I disabled windows media player sharing center

1.Start

2. type "services.msc"

3. Seaarch for Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service , thay are in alphabetical order.

4. Double-click on the service

5. Press STOP.

optional

6. Press disable if u don't need sharing media over a network.

Mitza_tza, Apr 20, 2018
  5. You also have to disable Network Discovery in same dialogue as you disabled File and Printer Sharing. This will prevent computers from advertising themselves on the network and also prevent computers from looking up computers and devices that advertise themselves on the network.

slicendice, Apr 20, 2018
  6. Cerawy Win User
    I just did that. Some of the computers still appears on my computer.

Cerawy, Apr 21, 2018
  7. Windows remembers these computers a while after settings changes. Reboot them all to see if they get removed from Network View.

slicendice, Apr 21, 2018
  8. Barman58 Win User

Disable network sharing

The fault here is with the Computer Browser Service, As mentioned above it will eventually clear itself.

The following is a little bit more advanced but should work

To speed things up - from an elevated Command Prompt Run these two commands exactly ( letter case is important) :

ipconfig /flushdns
    nbtstat -R

Also you can then set the Computer Browser service to Manual after stopping it and reboot

This should remove the records from the system and cache after around 15 Minutes

Barman58, Apr 21, 2018
  9. Cerawy Win User
    @Barman58 I did the ipconfig /flushdns and nbtstat -R commands and they were succesful. However, I have no way to check if it solved the problem since I right clicked on the other computers on the network and clicked remove before I saw your post. I just know that disabling network discovery didn't get get rid of the other computers even after restarting several times.

Is there anything else I can do to disable network sharing completely?

Basically, I don't want to share anything or have my computers connected to any other computers.

Cerawy, Apr 22, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    You are only seeing other computers because they have discovery on. You can see them but they cannot see you.

cereberus, Apr 22, 2018
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Turning off the computer browser service will add to the blocks to networking - Also until you are running the 1803 update due soon, don't forget to disable homegroup services which duplicate the older system services - It's totally removed from 1803 *Wink

Barman58, Apr 22, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
    Callender, Apr 28, 2018
  13. Barman58 Win User

Disable network sharing

On another note from your previous post ...

The words Public and Private in this context refer to the Network Type and are mainly related to the Firewall settings.

They work in the reverse of the way you would expect *Wink

In this context, the firewall will shut the networking ports in the firewall if the setting is Public. [eg you are sat in a public coffee shop], but if the setting is Private will open the ports as you are in a safer network [At Home]

Barman58, Apr 28, 2018
  14. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - this has confused people for years.

Public here means more closed made worse by the use of term public folders which are more open to all users. MS consistency at its finest !

cereberus, Apr 28, 2018
  15. Cerawy Win User
    I still can't find the browser service anywhere in services. Maybe its because my version of windows isn't english?

Cerawy, Apr 29, 2018
Thema:

Disable network sharing

1. Disable network sharing - Similar Threads - Disable network sharing

2. Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network: Somehow, I seem to have enabled shared icons across my home network. I have two windows 10 PCs and when I add a desktop icon on one PC it appears on the other PC. However, I use different apps on each PC and the extra icons are useless. Also, when I delete an unwanted icon...
  3. Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network: Somehow, I seem to have enabled shared icons across my home network. I have two windows 10 PCs and when I add a desktop icon on one PC it appears on the other PC. However, I use different apps on each PC and the extra icons are useless. Also, when I delete an unwanted icon...
  4. Disable Shared Icons Across Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network share not working when Kaspersky is disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network share not working when Kaspersky is disabled: When Kaspersky Internet Security is disabled on PC1, Admin account on PC2 cannot access network share of PC1, whose Admin is the same. When Kaspersky is enabled on, the share works. This suggests to me that something in Windows security is disabling the share. What is it?When...
  6. Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations

Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations: Hello ! I hope you are all well and I also hope that I can find some ideas around here: Things are as it follows: I have Desktop PC connected to a router via cable and several other laptops around the house, connected via Wifi, to the same network / same router,...
  7. Disable sandbox in network sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable sandbox in network sharing: Windows sandbox refuses to restart after some running time and I am already facing delay. Is there a way to disable printing on windows sandbox? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-sandbox-in-network-sharing/1e06c728-477f-4314-8789-52ae5de2309c
  8. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled: We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years.... in windows 10 , like 1809, the...
  9. Disable sharing

Disable sharing: I got a shared files folder in my users folder. I want to disable sharing completely and get rid of the folder. 128386
  10. Disable "Connect to networks shared by my contacts"

Disable "Connect to networks shared by my contacts": Hi everyone, Settings > Network & Internet > Manage Wi-Fi Settings Here on Microsoft help page, there's a tutorial on how to "turn off Connect to suggested open hotspots and Connect to networks shared by my contacts" Configure telemetry and other settings in your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. slicendice netwoek and sharing