Windows 10: Disable OneDrive

Discus and support Disable OneDrive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Clicking on "Turn off these OneDrive settings" did not work for you? I just clicked that during installation and it did not bother me again ever. As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AddRAM, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Disable OneDrive

As far as I know that disables the sync, which as I mentioned in my previous post is not an option for me. I need OneDrive sync enabled on each computer all the time.

Disable OneDrive [​IMG]

2. sygnus21 Win User

I said the same thing and also agree that just the symptom being cured and not the cause.

sygnus21, Oct 28, 2014
  3. davehc Win User
    I have tried pretty much all the alternatives of turning it off, turning sync off etc. Still there!!

Just to confirm. It does turn it off, of course - until the next boot.

davehc, Oct 28, 2014
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Disable OneDrive

Are these all Win 10 setups?

sygnus21, Oct 28, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    This only happens in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9860.

6. sygnus21 Win User
    This only happens in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9860. Well I've seen that issue, but I do have an issue where 10, at least in VM, makes my DVD drive disappear. I've posted that elsewhere though.

sygnus21, Oct 29, 2014
  7. sysprg Win User
    I have tried pretty much all the alternatives of turning it off, turning sync off etc. Still there!!

Just to confirm. It does turn it off, of course - until the next boot. I have for a long time two Windows8.1 both using the same OneDrive directory location outside user\<username> on F: partition. F: being the same letter for both Windows8.1. No problem with sync. When I have installed TP on FDisable OneDrive :partition then the the same problem happened. OK, I've shrink FDisable OneDrive :partition, created new one and re-installed TP. Then changed letters under TP making F being the same as for both 8.1. Pop-up have disappeared and no problems with sync at 3 OSes. At Russian forum discussing this problem it was said that this problems happens only for those who have two OSes using different OneDrive settings.

sysprg, Nov 7, 2014
  8. sygnus21 Win User

Disable OneDrive

Thanks for the info sysprg. Its certainly something to consider.

Welcome *Smile

sygnus21, Nov 8, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    This is simply not true.

For instance in my case at the moment I have three real machines with a clean install of Build 9860, all of them have this issue, no other operating systems, no dual boot or such. The same with each and every vm I have installed Build 9860 using an MS account.

In all of these, the real machines and virtual machines, I am only using one MS account with same synchronized settings, and can reproduce this issue simply by killing the Explorer process and relaunching Explorer.

EDIT:

Added this to show how easily the issue is reproduced. The ZIP file contains a GIF animation from my desktop (Build 9860) just now: OneDrive_SplashScreenIssue.zip. Just killing the Explorer process and relaunching it causes the OneDrive first run splash screen to be shown.

10. sygnus21 Win User
    Yeah Kari it may have turned out to not be true but it was kind to post the theory posed in his forum nonetheless.

That said, has the issue been resolved?

Thanks.

sygnus21, Nov 8, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    My point was only to tell that what was told on another site is not true and presented my findings to support my statement. Nothing else. I do not believe that not posting what I posted, although it had been "nicer" in the name of peace and avoiding possible conflicts, had been better as it had possibly left the readers of this thread to think that that's the cause of this issue.

As far as I know the issue is not resolved.

12. sysprg Win User
    This is simply not true.

For instance in my case at the moment I have three real machines with a clean install of Build 9860, all of them have this issue, no other operating systems, no dual boot or such. The same with each and every vm I have installed Build 9860 using an MS account.

In all of these, the real machines and virtual machines, I am only using one MS account with same synchronized settings, and can reproduce this issue simply by killing the Explorer process and relaunching Explorer.

Kari

EDIT:

Added this to show how easily the issue is reproduced. The ZIP file contains a GIF animation from my desktop (Build 9860) just now: OneDrive_SplashScreenIssue.zip. Just killing the Explorer process and relaunching it causes the OneDrive first run splash screen to be shown. Sorry, I have incorrectly used ONLY in the message I've read in our discussion. And on our forum the same situation as here: someones yet not eliminated pop-up despite all attempts. But in my case it helped. Moreover to verify proposed solution I've done two more TP installation in the same notebook: one on WTG and one into VHD. Both works fine using the same F:\OneDriveOrigin directory as OneDrive location as other OSes. Main difference between mine and your practice is that you run some OSes in parallel but me run those OSes one-by-one.

sysprg, Nov 8, 2014
  13. Kari Win User

Disable OneDrive

No, I run mine one by one, not parallel. Only one OS (Win10TP) installed on each machine. No dual boot or nothing.

I have also tried to disable OneDrive when this splash screen is shown when installing by selecting Turn off these settings (not recommend), my idea being that I can then turn the sync on later after installation has finished. This has no effect, disabling the setting while installing does nothing, the setting is enabled automatically when Windows has finished installing.

14. sysprg Win User
    If you run one by one then maybe you can provide the same OneDrive location for, say two of computers with the same letter on USB drive or flash and verify my case ? If pop-up again appears after re-boot of each of machines then my recipe is not appropriate for you.

sysprg, Nov 8, 2014
  15. I had this isue a while ago. I think I clicked the "Turn off these OneDrive settings" to get rid of it.

I understand turning off sync is not an option for some users
    I am using a MS account to log in

You might be able to dismiss this prompt by clicking the "Turn off these..." and then manually configuring sync in PC Settings or in OneDrive settings

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I've rebuilt so many Win10 machines because I break stuff *Wink that I forget what was done to resolve or get around a specific issue.

Slartybart, Nov 8, 2014
Thema:

Disable OneDrive

1. Disable OneDrive - Similar Threads - Disable OneDrive

2. disable OneDrive without losing local files on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable OneDrive without losing local files on my computer: First of all I deliberately deleted Onedrive because I don't want to use OneDrive. I want only LOCAL backup on MY computer. When I deleted the one drive files my LOCAL files were also deleted. I managed to restore the local files but I still want to TOTALLY disable ONEDrive...
  3. disable OneDrive without losing local files on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable OneDrive without losing local files on my computer: First of all I deliberately deleted Onedrive because I don't want to use OneDrive. I want only LOCAL backup on MY computer. When I deleted the one drive files my LOCAL files were also deleted. I managed to restore the local files but I still want to TOTALLY disable ONEDrive...
  4. How do i completely disable all of onedrive when installing Win10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i completely disable all of onedrive when installing Win10.: How do I reinstall win10 without any of the onedrive ****. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-completely-disable-all-of-onedrive-when/05ef1842-d0c1-49da-a47b-3f912661c8b2
  5. How do i completely disable all of onedrive when installing Win10.

How do i completely disable all of onedrive when installing Win10.: How do I reinstall win10 without any of the onedrive ****. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-completely-disable-all-of-onedrive-when/05ef1842-d0c1-49da-a47b-3f912661c8b2
  6. How do i completely disable all of onedrive when installing Win10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How can I disable Windows telling me to download the OneDrive mobile App at my login screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I disable Windows telling me to download the OneDrive mobile App at my login screen?: Hello,I just began logging into my computer and noticed it had a prompt telling me to "Download the One Drive mobile app" before I press the space bar to enter my password credentials at access me desktop.How do I remove this prompt? I don't use One Drive, have no interest in...
  8. How can I disable Windows telling me to download the OneDrive mobile App at my login screen?

How can I disable Windows telling me to download the OneDrive mobile App at my login screen?: Hello,I just began logging into my computer and noticed it had a prompt telling me to "Download the One Drive mobile app" before I press the space bar to enter my password credentials at access me desktop.How do I remove this prompt? I don't use One Drive, have no interest in...
  9. How can I disable Windows telling me to download the OneDrive mobile App at my login screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. ONEDRIVE is disabled, but WORD files still syncing between 2 laptops using same MS account...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ONEDRIVE is disabled, but WORD files still syncing between 2 laptops using same MS account...: any idea on how to stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-is-disabled-but-word-files-still-syncing/b5d8daf0-9335-4b2f-b344-c82dae460e19