Windows 10: Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Discus and support Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We want to store digital certificates for PDF signing in virtual smart cards. Due to regulatory reasons (FDA, we are developing medical devices), I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tuelle2, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Tuelle2 Win User

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

We want to store digital certificates for PDF signing in virtual smart cards. Due to regulatory reasons (FDA, we are developing medical devices), I have to assure that the PIN protecting the certificate has to be (re-)entered for each document to be signed. The default behavior seems to be that the PIN has only to be entered for the first document and is then cached. Is there any possibility to configure the PIN policy of a virtual smart card to "always prompt". As far as I know, this can be done for conventional smart cards and the windows certificate store.

Thanks for any information!

:)

Tuelle2, Dec 18, 2018

2. Disable smart card Surface LTE

Hi Jishua9,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

Please try the below suggested steps and let us know if it helps.

1. Right click on
      Start menu and select Run.
    2. Typegpedit.msc
      and press Enter.
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\SecurityOptions.
    4. LocateInteractive logon: Require smart card
      policy setting.
    5. Double click on the Policy and select
      Disabled option.
    6. Click onApply
      and OK to save changes.
    7. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not,
      restart the system.

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 18, 2018
  3. virtual smart card not found

I have a "virtual digitalbadge" on my PC, which, I think, is an implementation of virtual smart card technology. I use it to set up a VPN to my partner company.

When I try to set up the VPN, I often get the message "select a smart cart device". Screenshot:

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards 44cf132c-b921-4da8-bc10-ccd522f1dbe1.png

The Japanese text means "insert smart card". I can't proceed, since I don't know how to "insert" a virtual smart card.

I believe this happens consistently after hibernation; a reboot fixes the problem but is a very poor workaround, since it takes about 15 minutes until my PC becomes usable. Of course I could avoid hibernation, but I hibernate for a reason (i.e. I want to
    have the same programs running when I switch my PC on as when I switch it off).

The same happens whenever Internet Explorer wants to check the certificate on the smart card.

Is there a tool, a command, a registry entry, anything that helps me "inserting" the smart card without rebooting? Is there a log file or anything else to find out where the process is broken so that I can fix it?

BerndBausch, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Smart card pin cache Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

From the description, looks like you have an issue with Smart Card Pin Code.

The issue you are running into is best suited at the below Forum:

Resources and Tools for IT Professionals | TechNet

Please post back if you are still facing any issues. We'll be glad to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

1. Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards - Similar Threads - Disable PIN caching

2. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Future deprecation of virtual smart cards: Hello,On https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/virtual-smart-cards/virtual-smart-card-overview, there is the following note:Windows Hello for Business is the modern, two-factor authentication for Windows 10. Microsoft will be deprecating...
  3. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Future deprecation of virtual smart cards: Hello,On https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/virtual-smart-cards/virtual-smart-card-overview, there is the following note:Windows Hello for Business is the modern, two-factor authentication for Windows 10. Microsoft will be deprecating...
  4. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Smart Card Authentication and Cached Logons

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smart Card Authentication and Cached Logons: Hello,Scenario:Windows 10 laptops are PIV Enforced Smart cards are required to log on to the OSUser has been remote for over a year COVIDVPN is split tunnelMany users are overseas with low bandwidth connectionMost work can be done without direct access to on-prem resources,...
  6. Windows Hello for business- How to disable the virtual smart card?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Hello for business- How to disable the virtual smart card?: Dear all, We have activated Windows Hello so that users can sign in with a Pin code. Therefore now we have 2 issues. 1 - Windows hello has created a "Virtual Smart Card" and we're unable to authenticate correctly on websites who requires our real smart card. How can we...
  7. Virtual Smart Card lock

Virtual Smart Card lock: Hello. Our company uses Windows authorization and some other services using a virtual smart card. The problem is that the virtual smart card is blocked after 5 incorrect PIN entries. It is the smart card that is blocked, not the TPM. Tell me, is it possible to somehow...
  8. Windows Security (Smart Card Pin)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security (Smart Card Pin): Everytime I boot in, Windows Security prompts me to enter my Common Access Card. Even if I boot without my CAC Reader in. It only started doing this after the recent update. I've disabled the CAC Reader Driver, uninstalled DoD Certs and reinstalled, created a new profile and...
  9. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  10. TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM Virtual Smart Card creation: Hello, I'm having an issue regarding TPM Virtual Smart Card creation. I'm using a method from Windows.Devices.SmartCards.dll, SmartCardProvisioning class, RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(String, IBuffer, SmartCardPinPolicy), and I'm continuously getting an error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smart card pin caching windows 10

2. PIN cache AND VPN AND Windows

3. microsoft virtual smartcard cache C#

4. virtual smartcard cache c#,
  5. windows 10 smart card pin caching,
  6. windows 10 smart card pin cache,
  7. virtual smartcard pin caching,
  8. Windows 10 Cryptography Calais SmartCards PIV msclmd.dll,
  9. windows disable smart card pin caching,
  10. windows 10 pin cache,
  11. disable smartcard cache calais cache,