Windows 10: Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

Discus and support Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ron_484, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Ron_484 Win User

Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?

:)

Ron_484, Sep 7, 2022
  2. KevH123 Win User

how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hello Ma. Lau:

Thank you for the reply.

Please see my answers below.

• Yes, I have an updated Windows 10 on my computer.
    • I have been trying to google the solutions and these past couple days I have been trying to update my device driver in Device Manager. However, none of the item under "disk drive" or "storage controllers" has the option to update the drive to "USB mass
      storage device". I also tried to update the driver by pointing the update path to "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" but still can't seem to fix it.
    • I am not sure if I have the updated USB driver on my Windows 10 PC. When I checked the USB controller under Device Manager, it says the software for the device is up to date.

Thanks again for the help!

KevH123, Sep 7, 2022
  3. USB Mass Storage device Error38

Update the USB Mass Storage Controller in Device Manager.

And read though the first part of this reply:

Redirecting

Bill Smithers, Sep 7, 2022
  4. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

Mass Storage USB Device ghosted

Hey there,

I'm aware that this question may be a duplicate of possibly several other questions but please hear me out:

Since about 10 months now I've got a device called "Mass Storage USB Device" mapped to the drive letter "E" that just won't disappear. I've tried searching Google and several Microsoft Forums along with multiple "solutions" now but none of them seem to work
    properly.

The device is always displayed in the device manager and sometimes (especially when waking up from hibernation) randomly starts to connect and disconnect multiple times until I manually disable it in the device manager.

Whenever the device shows up in the explorer attempting to open it just prompts me with "inserting a media into E".

The drive is listed with the following information:

• Device Type: Disk drives
    • Manufacturer: (Standart disk drives)
    • [ Disk information under "Volumes" is completely dashed ]
    • Driver Provider: Microsoft
    • Driver Date: 21.06.06
    • Driver Version: 10.0.15063.0 //<-- How did the Windows build version get here btw
    • Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows
    • Driver Name: disk.inf
    • [ I'm going to omit the "Details" page for now ]

Event log lists the following:

• Device started (disk)
    • Device configured (disk.inf)
    • Device migrated
    ( Possibly relevant ):

• "Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Mass&Prod_Storage_Device&Rev__\125D20140310&0 was configured."
    • "Driver Name: disk.inf

Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

So far I tried disabling and uninstalling the device in the device manager.

Several suggested fixes involving ghost device removal tools.

Several tools and guides that said they would take care of such things.

I honestly can't list all ways or specifics about the stuff I tried (and then reverted using restore points) because there're many over this longer period of time. [ As the disconnect-reconnect symptom seemed to disappear from time to time I almost forgot
    about that problem too. ]

If someone could help me pinpoint the source I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Mark

PS: Here are some of my system specs. (If sth. is missing just ask)

• CPU: AMD Fx8350 (8x 4GHz)
    • MB: ASUS M5A97 Evo R2.0
    • GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX970
    • Drives: 2x HDD WD Blue 1TB
    • Mouse: Roccat Tyon
    • KB: Razer Blackwidow Chroma
    • HS: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1 USB
    • Controller (although disconnected most of the time): Original XBox 360 Controller

// ---

Reserved space for additional information - if requested

Life4YourGames, Sep 7, 2022
Thema:

Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

1. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices - Similar Threads - Disable Power Management

2. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices: Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?...
  3. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices: Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?...
  4. USB mass storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB mass storage: Problem is after disconnect usb drive then connect again with the same usb drive device or other usb drive the driver have problem check in device manage have "! sign" How to fix this problem?I try to uninstall but cann't solve....
  5. USB mass storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB mass storage: Problem is after disconnect usb drive then connect again with the same usb drive device or other usb drive the driver have problem check in device manage have "! sign" How to fix this problem?I try to uninstall but cann't solve....
  6. USB mass storage

7. USB Mass Storage Device problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  8. USB Mass Storage Device problem

USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  9. USB Mass Storage Device (Code38)

USB Mass Storage Device (Code38): Hi All I've been working on this issue for a few weeks months now and still no joy. My issue is as follows and I hope someone can point me in the right direction; If I boot the workstation fresh my external USB drive is present and works. That night I am able to run...
  10. USB mass storage device problem

USB mass storage device problem: I am running a windows 10. AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.5Ghz 8GB Ram 64 Bit Windows Version 1803 I am trying to do some work where I need to write data (3D print files) to an SD card for printing. It is part of a product testing cycle. When I first turn the...