Windows 10: Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

Discus and support Disable Prefetch & Superfetch in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, I've written a code in a batch file to disable Superfetch service and some other things. But the Superfetch part does not work? Code: SC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by omidsolo, Dec 15, 2015.

1. omidsolo Win User

Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

Howdy,
    I've written a code in a batch file to disable Superfetch service and some other things.
    But the Superfetch part does not work?
    Code: SC Config Superfetch Start= Disabled SC Stop Superfetch[/quote] Output >> The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    Please advise *Sad

:)

omidsolo, Dec 15, 2015
  2. srfreeman Win User

Cannot delete .mkd file in prefetch

The PfPre_******.mkd files are system files used by prefetch/SuperFetch.

While SuperFetch and prefetch can be stopped/disabled, this is only recommended in some cases when a solid state drive is used.

The best general recommendation is just to leave these files and the entire prefetch folder alone.

srfreeman, Dec 15, 2015
  3. zileut Win User
    Windows 10 - Memory usage problem

Since I have been diasabling Superfetch System has used under 10 MB.

How to Disable Superfetch

zileut, Dec 15, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

Have you tried running it as administrator?

swarfega, Dec 15, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

I'm not sure why you would ever want to disable pre-fetch in an OS.

Pre-fetch can considerably improve performance even with SSD's. What the pre-fetch does is use a complex algorithm built on your usage of the OS -- so even when stuff isn't loaded into storage (RAM) it will have an idea of what commands / applications you are likely to use and will when the OS isn't busy load those into RAM ready for you when you run the application.

When you first install the OS it takes a while to build up the database -- that's often why a system "performs better" after a few boots and hours / days of use.

SuperFetch is another thing entirely -- you could disable that if it relies on using a USB stick / other alternate storage to "boost RAM" and I'm not even sure if it exists in W10 any more.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 15, 2015
  6. omidsolo Win User
    I'm not a newbie, of course I have reason to disable that!
    I have SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD and it's recommended to disable those 2 features in systems with SSD.
    Somewhere pointed that Windows automatically turn it off if you're using SSD, but mine didn't.
    So, I asked why my code returns an error, didn't ask about the function of those features!
    Thanks though!

omidsolo, Dec 15, 2015
  7. You used the wrong name, you should use the service name, not display name. Like this:

sc config SysMain start= disabled

Additionally you can use (just to be sure):

reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters" /v "EnablePrefetcher" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters" /v "EnableSuperfetch" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

TairikuOkami, Dec 15, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Most services have 2 names, a "Service Name" which is the official name of the service and a more descriptive "Display Name". The Service Name of the service that controls prefetch and superfetch is "SysMain" while it's display name is "Superfetch". Service manager shows the Display Name and you can see the Service Name in the services properties. The sc command expects the Service Name.

Having 2 names for a service sometimes causes confusion.

LMiller7, Dec 15, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Pre-fetch loads into RAM so I don't see why an SSD would have ANY problem with it -- note again I'm talking about PRE-FETCH not SUPER-FETCH which as I pointed out before is another issue entirely.

So as PRE-FETCH is essentially an HDD / or an SSD READ operation what's the problem with it. !!!

BTW some of the technical stuff you see on manufacturers sites isn't always accurate when it comes to describing the inner workings of an OS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 15, 2015
  10. omidsolo Win User
    Thanks all, useful info indeed *Smile

omidsolo, Dec 18, 2015
  11. bro67 Win User
    Superfetch and Prefetch need to stay enabled. Disabling them, does not improve performance, same as you are asking how to disable System Restore in your other thread.

Leave those items alone. You will actually cause more problems.

bro67, Dec 18, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    +1
    On Win10 it needs those services on to function correctly. If your system disk is an SSD they will work accordingly. But for things like OneDrive or a 2nd non SSD drive it's still useful, also some software looks for and use them. Just let Windows take care of Windows, it was created with SSDs in mind.

Cliff S, Dec 18, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

There's no reason to "baby" modern SSDs. Most of those recommendations are from few years ago when they were vulnerable to many writes and cell life was short, also were very expensive.

CountMike, Dec 18, 2015
  14. bro67 Win User
    Especially that Windows 10 handles Memory and drive management a whole lot better than previous editions.

bro67, Dec 19, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    Yes, that too, ever since Windows became SSD aware, methinks it's from W7 Sp1. With XP, it used to be recommended and default virtual memory 2 1/2 times physical RAM !!!

CountMike, Dec 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Disable Prefetch & Superfetch - Similar Threads - Disable Prefetch Superfetch

2. Windows 10 Pro Prefetcher/Superfetcher Bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro Prefetcher/Superfetcher Bug: There is a bug where .zip files, .pdfs and other file formats are being cached in memory making free memory jump from GBs to MBs. The only work around I found was to turn off Prefetcher and SuperFetch in the registry and than use RAMMap to clear the standby buffer. Please...
  3. Prefetch / superfetch / hibernation - Safe for SSDs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prefetch / superfetch / hibernation - Safe for SSDs?: I've heard mixed things from multiple websites whether it's a bad thing or not, so I thought I'd just ask here. I'm wondering if it's completely safe to have it enabled. It was enabled by default I disabled it, and I thought it was extremely bad for the lifespan of them,...
  4. Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch

Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch: Hi! As I know it prefetch/superfetch creates .pf files for all executables that were previously runned. As such I don't want windows to make a specific executable's .pf file through prefetch because I don't want to disable prefetch entirely for this. Any help would be...
  5. Sysmain / superfetch disabled not working ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sysmain / superfetch disabled not working ?: I have 8 GB Ram and windows 10 pro 64 bit , i have disabled ram cache by disabled sysmain service and set starup to disabled , also disable it in registery files - memory managment - superfetch = 0. even after disabling it when i run windows in beginning ram usage is always...
  6. Windows 10 Prefetch / SuperFetch is used, although an ssd is used.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Prefetch / SuperFetch is used, although an ssd is used.: Hello everybody, shouldn't Windows automatically disable Prefetch and SuperFetch when using an SSD? Although the SSD is the only drive, the registry key "EnablePrefetcher" has the value 3, the service "Sysmain" is started automatically and the folder "C:\Windows\Prefetch" is...
  7. Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch

Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch: OK, I recently upgraded by cloning my OS (Win 10 Pro) from an HDD to an SSD. I have been reading articles about prefetch and superfetch and how they are with SSd's. Well, I believe that Superfetch was indeed disabled by Win 10 when it realized I was now on an SSD. Being...
  8. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. 124580
  9. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-disable/c69f1b35-3692-45a9-a34a-093f471b6ac3
  10. Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows How to Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows SuperFetch (aka: Memory Prefetcher) is a service that was introduced with Vista. SuperFetch is an enhancement of the Prefetcher from previous versions of Windows. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mkd file not deleting in prefetch

2. disable superfetch batch file

3. delete mkd file prefetch windows 10