Windows 10: disable Quick Access does not work

Discus and support disable Quick Access does not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When viewing "This PC" with file explorer, the default is to show "Quick Access" folders. Those folders are: Desktop, Documents, Download, Music ....... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gordon55, Jun 23, 2019.

1. gordon55 Win User

disable Quick Access does not work

When viewing "This PC" with file explorer, the default is to show "Quick Access" folders.
    Those folders are:
    Desktop, Documents, Download, Music ....
    There is an option to disable "Quick Access".

Steps to disable "Quick access".
    -double click This PC
    -select file
    -select change folder and search options
    -in the general tab, Open File Explorer to:
    "This PC" (should disable "Quick Access"
    "Quick access" (should enable "Quick access").
    Setting it to "This PC" does not disable "Quick access" :-(

These "Quick access" folders are in a folder "Folders"
    That folder can be collapsed or expanded.
    That is unrelated to the "Quick access" feature.
    thx

:)

gordon55, Jun 23, 2019

2. Quick Access Not Working

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Follow the below steps to repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Method 1:

Before repairing the database, try to disable and then re-enable Quick Access to see if it helps. To disable and re-enable Quick Access, follow the below steps:

Step 1: To remove frequent folders and recent files list from Quick Access, open File Explorer > click on View tab in Ribbon >
    click on Options > Change folder and search options to open Folder Options.

Step 2: You’ll have to uncheck the following two check-boxes present under the Privacy section to disable Quick Access:

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 3: Click Apply and Exit. The action will instantly remove these two sections from Quick Access in File Explorer. (To clear your Quick Access history press the ‘Clear’ button against Clear File Explorer History).

Step 4: Then, check
    the following two check-boxes again to enable Quick Access that you did in
    Step2.

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 5: Restart the PC once and check the issue and if the issue persist, follow the
    Method 2.

Method 2:

The Method 2 will repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Step 1: Open File Explorer and paste this folder path: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations in the address bar and hit Enter.

Step 2: Once the folder is opened, press ‘Ctrl’ key and the ‘A’ from your keyboard to select all of its contents and delete it.

Step 3: Do the same for this folder path as well: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Step 4: Restart the PC once and check the issue.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq Ali Khan

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 23, 2019
  3. Disable "Quick Access"

You may try the steps listed for
    v1607 here
    , and reverse the earlier method you used to disable Qa.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 23, 2019
  4. disable Quick Access does not work

update about Quick Access not responding

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern, we suggest that you try to follow the steps provided below:

• Disable Quick Access.
    • Re-enable Quick Access.
    • Restart your computer, and see if it helps.

• For you to customize the Quick Access Toolbar, click
      here.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marivel Man, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

disable Quick Access does not work

1. disable Quick Access does not work - Similar Threads - disable Quick Access

2. Pin to quick access does nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin to quick access does nothing.: I seem unable to customize the quick access area in any way. I already tried the procedure outlined here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-22h2-cant-pin-folders-to-quick-access/bb06029f-f704-4888-a408-4c2ef6796596Yet "pin to quick access" does...
  3. Pin to quick access does nothing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin to quick access does nothing.: I seem unable to customize the quick access area in any way. I already tried the procedure outlined here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-22h2-cant-pin-folders-to-quick-access/bb06029f-f704-4888-a408-4c2ef6796596Yet "pin to quick access" does...
  4. Drag and Drop stopped working, after disabling Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop stopped working, after disabling Quick Access: Is the only way to drag and drop is to keep the annoying quick access enabled? 175212
  5. Search quick access not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search quick access not working: First to know, this happens normally when the computer turns on and then is using a search. When I try to type something for search in "search quick access " search simply doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't allow me to type a word to execute a search, and at the very...
  6. Quick Access not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access not working: On my Windows 10 machine Quick Access has suddenly stopped working. All the folders which were in in it have disappeared, and I am unable to pin folders to it. Neither right-clicking and selecting "Pin to Quick access" or dragging-and-dropping folders to QA work. I do not...
  7. "Pin to Quick Access" does nothing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Pin to Quick Access" does nothing: I've encountered a mildly annoying feature on my home PC that I can't seem to solve. When I try to pin items to Quick access in explorer, nothing happens. No dialog box, no error, and most importantly nothing gets pinned to Quick access. I have it set to not show recently...
  8. disable the Quick Access toolbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable the Quick Access toolbar: The Quick Access toolbar comes up and interferes with my search. I never need anything in the Quick Access folder. I am usually looking for something that I did not use recently....
  9. Quick access not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick access not working: Some folks may not know what Quick access is, if you open File Explorer (or Windows Explorer as it used to be), on the left hand side menu in first place you have Quick access with a blue star icon. I recently reinstalled Windows and QA worked for a while, but at some point...
  10. Disable Quick Access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Quick Access: I read the following thread. Quick access in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I am looking for a faster way to do it with less steps. Does anyone have a .reg or .bat that does everything for you? Can someone make one? 35053