Windows 10: Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown

Discus and support Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since Windows 10 v2004, when there's a pending update and you select "Update and Shutdown" on the start menu the behavior has changed for the worse.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rytomi, Feb 9, 2021.

1. rytomi Win User

Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown

Since Windows 10 v2004, when there's a pending update and you select "Update and Shutdown" on the start menu the behavior has changed for the worse.

Before, when selecting Update and Shutdown, Windows would complete the first stage of the update usually 30% and then power off. When you power back on, it would finish the update at the time of boot and then display the login screen. This behavior was good.

Starting in v2004, now when you select Update and Shutdown, it instead attempts to reboot to complete the entire update, and then perform a normal shutdown. I can see why Microsoft thought this might be a good idea, because people typically hit Shutdown and walk away and so now they won't have to wait a teeny bit longer at boot when they return.

THE PROBLEM: I have my machines encrypted with Bit Locker and set to require a PIN or Password at boot. With the new action when you select Update and Shutdown, now it performs the first stage of the update 30%, then attempts to reboot. At the reboot no one present, it sits at the Bit Locker PIN/Password screen for about a minute and then powers off after there's no activity. When I power the machine back on, I enter the Bit Locker Password, and the machine boots and finishes the update, but now it thinks it's just finishing it's previous un-commanded reboot update thing, so when it finishes the update it shuts down. Now I have to power the machine on a second time. This behavior is maddening.

QUESTION: How can I disable this annoying "feature" so that updates install as before - so that when I tell Windows to Update and Shutdown, it does what I tell it to instead of attempt a reboot? I feel this should be the default on Bit Locker encrypted systems.

:)

rytomi, Feb 9, 2021

2. computer reboots after shutdown in windows 10

ok I did the Shutdown /s /t 0 and a list came up....what next?

- - - Updated - - -

I did the Cmd prompt and typed: Shutdown /s /t 0 and computer did shutdown but rebooted a couple seconds later...I have done this before...still no change with my issue of computer rebooting after shutdown...

fishingpoint, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Shutdown problem on my Windows 10 laptop.

Hello,

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issues with the shutdown function of your laptop:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar beside the Windows icon.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the results.
    • Under System and Security, select Fix Problems with Windows Update.
    • Choose Troubleshoot as an Administrator.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown

Not signing off on shutdown after Creators Update

Hi,

I have currently 2 user accounts on my computer. After Creators Update, whenever I
    shutdown the system on account A, and then startup again, user A is still with active session. It acts like I hibernated it or something.

Reproduction Steps:

• Startup and Login to A
    • Shutdown
    • Startup and Login to B
    • Shutdown
    What happens:

Upon shutdown, get warned that user A has still an active session. Proceed anyway.

On next startup and Login to A, it will show me that now it is B who has an active session.

Additional Notes:

• I am not Hibernating the machine, I'm Shuting down
    • I have disabled Fast Startup on Power Management options (to see if it would solve this)
    • Might be relevant: Dell XPS 15 9550

RubenMNeves, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown

1. Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown - Similar Threads - Disable Reboot Update

2. 21H1 keeps saying updated when reboot or shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    21H1 keeps saying updated when reboot or shutdown: I did the update to 21H1 on PC, seemed to go ok. If I do check for updates it just keeps checking....without doing anything If I try to shutdown or reboot when it comes back (after a long time) it says it has installed the 21h1 feature update again. I have four of these...
  3. Disable Shutdown Confirmation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Shutdown Confirmation: I always have a program running that won't shutdown with Windows so I always have to confirm the shutdown or the PC won't turn off. Can I tweak the ShutdownButton just to force kill everything without my confirmation? - I always forget to do it and already left the the room...
  4. Long reboot and shutdown time after updating to KB4566116

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long reboot and shutdown time after updating to KB4566116: Hello, I've noticed that after updating to the optional KB4566116 Windows 10 update August 2020, that the reboot and shutdown times can become excruciatingly long, upwards of 10 minutes while the circle dots keep spinning above "Restart" or "Shutting down". Has anyone...
  5. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?: just wondering, i know that if fast boot is enabled, restart is a clean boot while shutdown is a semi hibernation mode. If its turned off, do both options clean boot, or is it switched around ? submitted by /u/Vulpera_is_coming [link] [comments]...
  6. Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot

Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot: Hello all, I'm about to have a meltdown caused by Win updates. I'm trying to recover data from a 8TB drive, and it's taking an unusually long amount of time (1+ week), but it's progressing and about done. The drive in question is on it's last leg and the BIOS fails SMART, I...
  7. Disable automatic reboot for updates

Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...
  8. Disable automatic reboot for updates

Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...
  9. Shutdown Settings are disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Shutdown Settings are disabled: Hello, I just upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10 and i need help with the shutdown setting being disabled here. [img] Thanks :-) 53850
  10. Random Shutdown and Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Shutdown and Reboot: I have Windows 10 system that keeps randomly rebooting and coming back up. I took main name "place" to get it look at and they said everything is fine and it didn't randomly reboot them like it does me. Could anybody give me some help by look at my files? I attach below, a...