Windows 10: Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

Discus and support Disable reopening programs after windows update restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Occasionally, a forced restart is happening on my Windows 10 computer. When the OS is restarted every program that I've had prior to the restart is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lucian Popescu, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

Occasionally, a forced restart is happening on my Windows 10 computer. When the OS is restarted every program that I've had prior to the restart is reopened at startup. The programs are reopened like I would just double-click them.

I usually hold 5-6 windows of Visual Studio and few more programs all together. When the above happens, I have to wait several minutes until I can start working, as everything takes ages to load.

The option “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." in Settings > Sign-in options does not work for this case. Also, the Restore previous folder windows at logon” setting in Folder Options has nothing to do with this. And lastly, the startup folders or the Run registry keys aren’t used to relaunch programs after reboot.

Is there a setting to disable these programs from automatically opening at startup after update?

:)

Lucian Popescu, Nov 14, 2018
  2. Dugular7 Win User

Windows 10 reopens program after shutdown or restart

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have cortana disabled and dont keep a microphone plugged in.

Just to explain further, I know ways to avoid programs reopening by shutting down and restarting in specific ways, therefore my question is not to find other ways to avoid programs reopening on startup. What Im after is a way to avoid programs reopening
    *regardless* of the shut down or restart method used.

Its not the end of the world for me if there isnt a setting, of course we will be fine adapting, but if there is a way to properly disable it then that would make my experience with Windows better.

Dugular7, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Programs Reopening after restart in windows 10.

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Yes, 1709 has a slightly buggy instant of Auto Reopen. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a coming update.

Check this :

Stop Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart in Windows 10

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/stop-auto-reo...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 14, 2018
  4. Dugular7 Win User

Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

Windows 10 reopens program after shutdown or restart

Hello,

Recently, Windows 10 is reopening programs that were open when the computer is restarted or shutdown.

My wife and I both use the computer, and neither of us like this new feature. We have to use the classic shutdown method to ensure no programs are reopened.

Im a gamer as well, so hate the idea that if my wife last used the computer on her account, my computer will reopen her programs even if ive signed into my account.

How can I disable the feature properly? I want Windows to behave how it did when I paid for it: Restart and Shutdowns did NOT reopen programs.

PS: Microsoft, please stop saying youre seriously considering gamers every Windows release, when you add features like this without the ability to turn it off.

Dugular7, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

1. Disable reopening programs after windows update restart - Similar Threads - Disable reopening programs

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  3. How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in

in Windows 10 News
    How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in: Windows 11 may remember which application windows and File Explorer windows you had open the last time to reopen them again. The browser or Microsoft Excel document, which was open the last time, may be opened automatically on the next start. The feature was introduced in...
  4. Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates: I need a way to disable automatic restarts on Windows 10 Home. Setting active hours does not work. I have engineering programs that run on my system 24/7 and I'm tired of losing data because I come back in the morning to find that my computer randomly restarted during the...
  5. Disable applications restarting after update

Disable applications restarting after update: So I have been desperately trying to make windows 10 NOT restart applications after reboots. It works, IF I manually do a normal reboot. But if the reboot is due to updates being applied, applications restart at next login, ignoring my settings. I can see how Microsoft might...
  6. Reopening programs from last session on Windows 10 after reboot/restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reopening programs from last session on Windows 10 after reboot/restart: Hi I want to reopen all programs from last session, I saw there is a related thread here, but no answer was given. In the last reply Charlie said there is an option: Settings - Accounts - Sign In Options “Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device...
  7. Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown: So I started leaving two Chrome windows open, plus a few other things when I shutdown the PC every night, so they reopen the next day and I can continue where I left off. So far it has happened at least 3 times that Windows 10 reopened only spotify and stickies and not...
  8. Windows 10 apps to not reopen after restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 apps to not reopen after restart: Hi, I am running the latest version of W10. I am on a ThinkPad W530 with 32GB of RAM. My privacy setting is set as per the screenshot below. I am unable to find an answer to this issue online. Please advise. Thanks! [ATTACH] --Sherman *** Email address is removed for...
  9. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update feature: Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart in Windows 10

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update feature: Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart in Windows 10: I've find this feature very annoying (and lots of people find this annoying as well) where programs startup after an reboot/restart if left open in the past. When this was added I thought my computer have an worm or an virus or infected somehow due to the Task Manager keep...
  10. Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart: How to: Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart How to Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart or Shutdown If you leave Firefox open when Windows shuts down or restarts, Firefox may automatically re-open with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable programs reopening when i start computer