Windows 10: disable safely remove hardware icon

Discus and support disable safely remove hardware icon in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; is there a way to permanently disable that annoying icon? most of the posts i have read only says how to hide it... 61771 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by todd24, Aug 27, 2016.

1. todd24 Win User

disable safely remove hardware icon

is there a way to permanently disable that annoying icon?

most of the posts i have read only says how to hide it...

:)

todd24, Aug 27, 2016

2. Safely remove hardware icon

Hi Cynthia,

For us to properly isolate the missing "Safely Remove Hardware icon" issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Normally, this icon isn’t missing and it’s most likely hidden in your Taskbar. To reveal this icon, you may click the arrow in the bottom right corner to show more sysbar icons. If it is available, you may pin it to your Taskbar by following the steps below:

• Connect a USB flash drive or any other removable storage to your PC.
    • Click the arrow in the bottom right corner to expand the sysbar section.
    • Now locate Safely Remove Hardware icon and drag it to your Taskbar.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Safely remove hardware icon

Michael Gall,

I am having the same problem as Cynthia after updating Windows 10 this morning. The Safely Remove Hardware Icon does not appear on the taskbar or in Hidden Icons space. It was on the taskbar before today's update. How do I get it back?

Richard in Alexandria, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Do you not use USB Thumb Drives or camera memory cards in a Reader? That feature is for data protection, keeps one from prematurely removing those type drives which is pretty much guarantee to corrupt either the file Windows or programs is working with or corrupting the whole drive. In comparison to the problems that could be caused having the icon is quite minor.

Berton, Aug 27, 2016
  5. todd24 Win User
    i use 2x usb nano flashdrives... been using them for about 3 years without using the icon.. is there a way to disable it?

todd24, Aug 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    No there is not. Just hide it like everyone else does.

bro67, Aug 27, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Save this as a .bat file and run it, you'll also need to put a copy of it in your Startup Folder or the icon will return every restart.

Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\SysTray" /v "Services" /t reg_dword /d 29 /f systray[/quote]

Edwin, Aug 27, 2016
  8. disable safely remove hardware icon

I'm a bit puzzled by this thread. Something tells me I'm missing something basic here. I'm not going to have any answer for any question asked in this thread, but I would at least like to understand what is being discussed.

I've heard of disabling a task, service, etc. but not disabling an icon. Hide the icon, yes, but not disable it. Do you want to disable the function invoked by the icon? Not a good idea if you even want to remove a device with cached data.

Or are you saying that this icon sometimes pops up unbidden and you want to prevent that? If that's the case, I would wonder what prompts it to be displayed.

pokeefe0001, Aug 29, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Yes the icons for system services will come back when Microsoft pushes an update that can fix security risks or removes old code from the OS. The icon takes up maybe a bit or two sitting on the task area doing nothing. If you are looking at increasing available memory by thinking that disabling services can help, you are talking maybe 15 meg at most, which is going to be nothing.

bro67, Aug 29, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    As flash drives are configured for 'Quick Removal, by default, I think the OP simply wants to get rid of the icon using up 'real estate' in their system tray.

disable safely remove hardware icon [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 29, 2016
  11. Which can easily be done by just not displaying it. I guess I don't see the problem.

pokeefe0001, Aug 29, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Totally agreed. Make them disappear and no harm. I had one person who would hide the clock, so that they did not sit there and clock watch when waiting for work to be pushed out to be worked on.

I have zero task bars showing on my Macbook. I found that it is a lot cleaner and that if I need to check on something, it is slide the cursor up. I got so used to having the taskbar showing with Windows and Linux GUI's, that just making one simple change like this, has made me into a believer that more real estate is always better. Especially if you are working in full screen mode with apps.

bro67, Aug 29, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

Maybe they don't want it in the 'drawer' either.

disable safely remove hardware icon [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 29, 2016
  14. todd24 Win User
    yes precisely.. my usb flashdrives are set to quick removal so there is no reason for the icon to be there...

this is what happens... the icon appears in the notification area for a few seconds when i load into windows... then a pop-up screen appears on my desktop and disappears again after a few seconds... then the icon disappears as well.. so it works but its not a perfect solution i guess.. but thanks

todd24, Aug 29, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    todd24, the whole reason of the Eject is to stop the write process, so that the sticks do not get corrupted or have a possible voltage short if the bus does not drop the 5 volts. Pulling them out before the OS is ready to release the Read or Write state, is just going to cause problems.

bro67, Aug 29, 2016
Thema:

1. disable safely remove hardware icon - Similar Threads - disable safely remove

2. Safely Remove Hardware icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware icon: I have my USB device set for "better performance"; yet I can't get the Safely Remove icon to appear on my taskbar. I can see it only by going to "Show hidden icons." How can I get this icon to appear on the taskbar, or on the Windows list of "Select which icons appear on the...
  3. Safely Remove Hardware icon

Safely Remove Hardware icon: I cannot display Safely Remove icon on my taskbar. It is turned on in Settings/Select which icons appear - but does not appear. It is not showing in Hidden Icons. ??????...
  4. No icon in the Safely Remove Hardware panel

No icon in the Safely Remove Hardware panel: Acer Switch V 10 -- I get a message that I should use the Safely Remove Hardware command in the tray when I remove the tablet/screen from the keyboard, but there is no icon in that panel for me to click. Does that mean I can safely ignore the message?...
  5. safely remove hardware icon

safely remove hardware icon: where is safely remove hardware icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/safely-remove-hardware-icon/b1cc5b40-80b4-4081-94b1-ca06b4acb523
  6. Safely Remove Hardware Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safely Remove Hardware Icon disappears: When, while in my user account, I mount two external drives on my pc, the Safely Remove Hardware icon appears in the Taskbar. If I eject one drive, the Safely Remove Hardware icon often, not always, disappears. The icon is still visible if I click the upward arrow in the...
  7. Safely remove hardware icon

Safely remove hardware icon: Is it possible to permanently get rid of this annoying little icon? So far, i have found this program to get rid of it, but i think its a bit silly to have a program installed just to get rid of the icon. 116907
  8. Safely Remove Hardware icon missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove Hardware icon missing: Hi In the last few days the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon has gone missing from my Taskbar. Also, if I right-click on the USB stick or USB hard drive in 'This Computer' the Eject option is missing. In PC Settings/Personalisation/Taskbar/Notification area/Select which icons...
  9. "Safely remove hardware" icon not showing.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Safely remove hardware" icon not showing.: Here we go. So the "safely remove hardware" icon is not showing. To be fair, it shows randomly, no matter if I have or have not an USB connected. It's totally random. For example, if I can't see it now, I close session or reboot, and it appears. It started to happen after...
  10. Where is the Safely Remove Hardware icon

Where is the Safely Remove Hardware icon: Hello, I'm new to Windows 10 and to this forum. I can't find the eject hardware icon anywhere. Under windows 7 it was in the system tray at bottom right. Few questions, please: 1. So where is that eject hardware icon? 2. I'm assuming that mice and keyboards can be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar usb eject disable