Windows 10: Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ?

Discus and support Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I am trying to perform a firmware update for my DSLR camera, and so have to copy some files in the root directory of my SD Card. I usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Traian Mechenescu, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ?

Hello. I am trying to perform a firmware update for my DSLR camera, and so have to copy some files in the root directory of my SD Card. I usually transfer the files from my camera to my PC by plugging the usb cable and using the camera brand's software utility so thisis the first time I am trying to actually copy something ON the card by using my laptop's sd-card reader slot.

Upon trying to copy the file, I get a "The disk is write protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk".

I can confirm having tried the following without any success:

1. Checked the physical switch on the SD memory card to be in the correct position

2. Performed a diskpart from the cmd-line as administrator with the following operations:

DISKPART> select disk 5

Disk 5 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 29 GB 4096 KB

DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly

Disk attributes cleared successfully.

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> attributes volume clear readonly

Virtual Disk Service error:
    The operation is not supported on removable media.

DISKPART> detail disk

SDHC Card
    Disk ID: 00000000
    Type : SCSI
    Path : 0
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
    Current Read-only State : Yes
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    * Volume 4 F NIKON D500 FAT32 Removable 29 GB Healthy

DISKPART> exit

3. Added a 32-bit D-WORD value key named WriteProtect to the windows registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ with value 0

After performing these steps I am still denied permission to write to the SD Card. Can anybody please help me, I feel like I am going insane with this operating system, this being one of the innumerable list of problems I am continuously having with Win10 since I first installed it two years ago. Sometimes I feel like I should uninstall it...

I should mention that the SD-Card in question is functioning perfectly and when inserted into my camera the pictures are written to it without any issue.

Thank you.

:)

Traian Mechenescu, Jun 6, 2019

2. Write Protected SD

Hi Fred,

Write-protected SD card disables some functions in the SD card like installing new data, delete data or move data. We suggest checking if there is a small physical switch located on your SD to disable the write-protect. Also, you may try removing the write
    protection thru the Properties of the drive. Open File Explorer > Right-click the SD card > Properties > Remove write-protection.

If the if two suggestion we provided didn't resolve the issue, we recommend contacting the manufacturer of the SD card for additional assistance on formatting your SD card.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jun 6, 2019
  3. XMEzy Win User
    Toshiba SD Card Write protection *HELP*

I have a Toshiba Sd Card that is write protected and i dont know how to fix it.

My SD Card is unlocked and i did the storage device policies thing + Attributes disk clear readonly

but here > https://gyazo.com/1e3d01e4b19d6abe40bade49ce827c39.png It says its not read only

Im usign windows 10 home

XMEzy, Jun 6, 2019
  4. abozeid74 Win User

Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ?

SD Card write protection problem

My sd card has a problem it is write protected after the last update of windows 10 mobile On lumia 640xl

I can not use it anymore unless I remove the write protection

what I could do ?? Plz help Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ? :(

abozeid74, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ?

1. Disable SD-Card write-protection in Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - Disable Card write

2. SD Card complaining write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SD Card complaining write protected: so when I plug in my sd card to my card reader, I can see it in file explorer, but I cannot write to it. the card is not write-protected and I tried reinstalling the sd card driver. this is an issue for multiple cards. Please help...
  3. SD Card complaining write protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SD Card complaining write protected: so when I plug in my sd card to my card reader, I can see it in file explorer, but I cannot write to it. the card is not write-protected and I tried reinstalling the sd card driver. this is an issue for multiple cards. Please help...
  4. SD card write-protection unwanted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card write-protection unwanted: I have a micro SD card which suddenly says it is write-protected. I made sure the small tab on the side was in the proper position. I also tried the disk part method but it had no effect on the read only status. I see there's another possible solution by editing the registry,...
  5. SD Card Write Protection

SD Card Write Protection: I've been using my chromebook for modding my Wii u, and now that it's charger broke, I can't do that until I get a new one. The SD card works fine on that, but on my computer, the SD card is locked, no matter what. I've tried the Diskpart method, the RegEdit method, yet...
  6. Write Protected SD card

Write Protected SD card: Hi, I want to format my SD card on my windows but I get the 'disk is write protected' notification. I tried removing the write protection through the command prompt but when I tried formatting afterwards it still gives the same notification. The SD card is not visible on my...
  7. SD card write protect Windows 1903

SD card write protect Windows 1903: Hi, There are a huge number of "guides" for dealing with write protection on drives. None of them have worked for me. Situation: Brand new micro SD card ( preparing for use with a raspberry pi, but that's not important, and also tried other drives ) Dell XPS 15 with...
  8. How to disable write-protection for SD-Card ?

How to disable write-protection for SD-Card ?: Hello. I am trying to perform a firmware update for my DSLR camera, and so have to copy some files in the root directory of my SD Card. I usually transfer the files from my camera to my PC by plugging the usb cable and using the camera brand's software utility so thisis the...
  9. How to disable write-protection for SD-Card ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable write-protection for SD-Card ?: Hello. I am trying to perform a firmware update for my DSLR camera, and so have to copy some files in the root directory of my SD Card. I usually transfer the files from my camera to my PC by plugging the usb cable and using the camera brand's software utility so thisis the...
  10. SD Card write protection issues

SD Card write protection issues: I recently received a write protected message from multiple micro SD cards/SD card adapters. [ATTACH] I have edited my registry to remove write protection. [ATTACH] I have gone through command prompt and diskpart to attempt to format them. [ATTACH] And yes, I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable write protection sd card windows registry

2. cant disable write protection on sdcard

3. turn off sd card write protection win10