Windows 10: Disable selective hotkey combinations

Discus and support Disable selective hotkey combinations in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There are a huge number of Windows hotkey combinations. Some are incredibly useful. Many are totally useless. Some are actively user-hostile. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Joseph M. Newcomer, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Disable selective hotkey combinations

There are a huge number of Windows hotkey combinations. Some are incredibly useful. Many are totally useless. Some are actively user-hostile. The existence of many of these does not take into account users with certain disabilities such as myself who end up typing combinations that activate hotkeys to bring up useless apps. If there isany hotkey combination, it should be my choice, and my choice alone, as to whether this hotkey combination makes sense. Therefore, I should be able to see a list of all hotkey combinations, and choose each of the ones I wish to disable. I am so tired of finding myself in an app I never heard of with the option to take some action I cannot ever imagine wishing to take, all because of my increasing inability to make my fingers do what I want them to do. So I would like to disable just about every hotkey combination with some very few exceptions. You do not know what these exceptions are. You should not feel that you have the right to tell me that there are such hotkey combinations, or forbid me from disabling them one at a time. This is an overweening arrogance that you know better than I do what my needs are. You do not have my neuromuscular system with all its foibles. Not everyone is 25 and in perfect health with perfect vision. Some of use are 73, in continuous pain, needing quadrifocals to work, and losing typing skills every year. Have a little consideration for reality, guys!

:)

Joseph M. Newcomer, Oct 13, 2020
  2. Henry_738 Win User

How to disable a hotkey combination

In answer to your question, it wasn't one of the in-built hotkeys. As I mentioned in my question, the Shift V combination become associated as some kind of hotkey combination, and my computer did strange things whenever I tried to type my last name, which
    starts with a V.

I tried your suggested solution. In Windows 10, if you click on the screen, "Graphics Options" is not one of the options that shows up.

I did find a solution: by using System Restore I was able to go back to a time before the problem began, and that took care of the problem.

Henry_738, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Henry_738 Win User

In Windows 10 my Shift v key combination has apparently been assigned as a hotkey that I did not intend. This is a problem because my last name begins with a v and I would like to capitalize that letter. Does anyone know how to delete this hotkey combination
    in Windows 10? I don't want to disable all hotkeys, just this one.

Henry_738, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Disable selective hotkey combinations

Hi Henry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Could you please let us know if you are referring to the inbuilt windows hot key combination? If so follow the steps. Right click anywhere on your screen and select Graphics Options and then Hot Keys and then disable it.

Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Disable selective hotkey combinations

1. Disable selective hotkey combinations - Similar Threads - Disable selective hotkey

2. change/disable sound hotkeys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change/disable sound hotkeys: Since the new update, every time i click the button C on my keyboard, it mutes all sound. when i click X it lowers the volume. is there anything i can do to fix this issue, there isnt anything online....
  3. change/disable sound hotkeys

in Windows 10 Customization
    change/disable sound hotkeys: Since the new update, every time i click the button C on my keyboard, it mutes all sound. when i click X it lowers the volume. is there anything i can do to fix this issue, there isnt anything online....
  4. change/disable sound hotkeys

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is there a way to disable global Windows hotkeys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to disable global Windows hotkeys?: Basically I set up some global hotkeys for my app such as WinKey+Home/End/-/+, and Function keys, but Windows steals the WinKey+Home/End/+ hotkeys and doesn't let me app to fire its own actions. I can see what Windows is doing with these global hotkeys but is there a way to...
  6. Hotkey help - Select Specific window?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hotkey help - Select Specific window?: Lets say you have 10 "active" windows/programs. Some are in restored state, some minimized. I know that you can toggle between windows by either Alt+tab or Alt+Ctrl+Tab, but is there hotkey to select a specific program/window? 181065
  7. Problem with Selected Keystroke Combinations

Problem with Selected Keystroke Combinations: A few keystroke combinations that I use frequently come up on the screen in reverse: "ps" comes up "sp"; "an" comes up "na"; and "rev" comes up "ver." So far everything else is fine, but this is annoying. What can be done?...
  8. Disabling keyboard language hotkey combinations.

Disabling keyboard language hotkey combinations.: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 on a Huawei MateBook Pro. I sometimes accidentally hit CTL-SHIFT together and toggle my keyboard into French mode. I'd like to know how to disable this feature/change it to something else I don't hit so often. Thanks in advance for your...
  9. disable / modify win hotkeys

in Windows 10 Support
    disable / modify win hotkeys: hello, i don't want to use to built-in windows key hotkeys such as win+D, win+S etc. how can i modify them or disable them altogether? 18090
  10. Disabling a hotkey in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabling a hotkey in Windows Explorer: How can I disable the Ctrl+D hotkey (that deletes files) in Windows Explorer? I'm specifically looking for a solution that does not involve 3rd party software; so preferably something like Group Policy, or a Registry key, or some other built-in method. 87870