Windows 10: Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button

Discus and support Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I either disable the snipping tool or reassign the printscreen button so that I can use it for an application that is actually useful? I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by travisfaul, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button

How do I either disable the snipping tool or reassign the printscreen button so that I can use it for an application that is actually useful?

I just got a new machine running windows 10 home.

:)

travisfaul, Sep 10, 2020

2. PrintScreen & Snipping tool are not working

Neither my PrintScreen or my Snipping tool are working. When I use the Snipping Tool I get a black screen. Whenever I use the PrintScreen and paste into Paint I get a black screen. I'm on Win10 and fully up to date.

Marlene5889, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10: disable hotkeys for Snipping Tool?

The Windows 10 Snipping Tool has reserved some keyboard shortcuts. I wish to use them with another program.

Is there a way to release these? Or else disable the Snipping Tool completely?

The tool I wish to use instead is Greenshot, which I've been using for years in Windows (XP, 7, 8, 8.1). Here is the message Greenshot displays on install:

---------------------------

Warning

The hotkey(s) "PrintScreen, Alt + PrintScreen, Ctrl + PrintScreen" could not be registered. This problem is probably caused by another tool claiming usage of the same hotkey(s)! You could either change your hotkey settings or deactivate/change the software
    making use of the hotkey(s).
    All Greenshot features still work directly from the tray icon context menu without hotkeys.

Abort Retry Ignore

I found the registry entries, but I'm not sure what to edit to disable the Snipping Tool.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC\Snipping Tool

EricChadwickOutAct, Sep 10, 2020
  4. Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button

snipping tool

Your post is unclear. Please post a step-by-step description of what you are doing, e.g. like so:

• Open the snipping tool
    • Click "New"
    • etc.

Frederik Long, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button

1. Disable snipping tool or reassign printscreen button - Similar Threads - Disable snipping tool

2. PrintScreen Snippet tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PrintScreen Snippet tool: Windows 11 - Until a few days ago my PrintScreen button key was saving screenshots to a folder I specified by simply pressing key. Suddenly when I try I have a Snippet Tool come up. The Snippet Tool doesn't work. Can anyone help me?...
  3. PrintScreen Snippet tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PrintScreen Snippet tool: Windows 11 - Until a few days ago my PrintScreen button key was saving screenshots to a folder I specified by simply pressing key. Suddenly when I try I have a Snippet Tool come up. The Snippet Tool doesn't work. Can anyone help me?...
  4. snipping tool opening after disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    snipping tool opening after disable: Hi there i disabled snipping tool from settings,group policy editior,registry it still opens how do i disable it Print screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool-opening-after-disable/aec7f5d3-3637-40ba-b132-154fbdcf3ee3
  5. snipping tool opening after disable

snipping tool opening after disable: Hi there i disabled snipping tool from settings,group policy editior,registry it still opens how do i disable it Print screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool-opening-after-disable/aec7f5d3-3637-40ba-b132-154fbdcf3ee3
  6. printscreen button

in Windows 10 Customization
    printscreen button: Prt sc button only works occasionally. I think there is a setting somewhere that changes whether it works or not. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 7500 2n1Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printscreen-button/3fc811bc-270b-4ee1-ad67-e8bb380a6ee6
  7. Reassigning touchpad buttons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reassigning touchpad buttons: Hi! Does anyone know if it's possible to reassign the touchpad buttons on a laptop? I use a bluetooth mouse and would therefore like to use the touchpads left and right buttons with my thumb for something else. But I can't seem to find a solution for this. It could be that...
  8. "PrintScreen" button captures the old data from Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "PrintScreen" button captures the old data from Snipping Tool: I want to capture some data displayed on the screen. Usually, I would do this by just hitting "PrintScreen" button and then pasting the capture to Paint. But for some reason, it does not work - when I paste the output, I see the old stuff that I previously captured with...
  9. Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool

Use PrintScreen Hotkey from keyboard to open Snipping Tool: Most keyboards with hotkeys have a hotkey for Print Screen. Even the standard laptop keyboard has it. This is Lenovo ThinkPad T470p. I understand that the standard Print Screen application in Windows 10 is the Snipping Tool. What I don't understand is why that key, or...
  10. Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows How to Enable or Disable Snipping Tool in Windows [img] Information The Snipping Tool is an app included in Windows that users can use to capture screenshots. Use it to save and share news stories, movie reviews, or...