Windows 10: Disable switching keyboard layout key Windows key + Space bar on Windows 10

Discus and support Disable switching keyboard layout key Windows key + Space bar on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to disable the aforementioned "feature" of Windows. Previous answers to similar questions seems out of date as some links to those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RollOut52, Mar 16, 2021.

1. RollOut52 Win User

Disable switching keyboard layout key Windows key + Space bar on Windows 10

Hello,

I am trying to disable the aforementioned "feature" of Windows. Previous answers to similar questions seems out of date as some links to those answers are unreachable and others are unhelpful.

Is there a way I can remove this shortcut as I am using a different keyboard layout than the region of this pc's language?

Thanks!

:)

RollOut52, Mar 16, 2021
  2. Mywk Win User

Disable switching keyboard shortcut key (Win + Space bar) on Windows 10

Note: This is a discussion/feedback and not a question as disabling the switching keyboard short key is currently impossible without installing third party applications.

It has been more than 4 years now since the
    first
    question was asked on the Microsoft forums, without a valid answer, two years later exactly the same

question
    but for Windows 10, suggested "solution" was to disable ALL the Windows keys.

Personally, from the 52 Windows Key combinations, there's simply one that was the biggest possible mistake, why would anyone in the world think it would be wise to make it that the Windows Key and the Space Bar would change keyboard layouts?

For the regular user this is already problematic if you have more than one keyboard layout installed, for a programmer this is the ultimate nightmare.

If you're wondering how to "fix" this problem, you have to install Autohotkey to override the key combination, which is not ideal at all.

We are not asking Microsoft to give us the ability to re-map Windows key combinations natively (which would be the perfect solution), but at least the ability to use another key combination for this absolutely horrendous combination.

It would be nice to have an official solution from Microsoft, this feature was requested a lot of times in the past and is still a problem that affects EVERY user using more than 1 keyboard layout.

3. Key values have switched on two keys

Hi Ennoh,

With regard to your question about keyboard layout, the main differences between a US and UK keyboard are the following:

• An Alt-Gr key is added to the right of the space bar.
    • The @ and are swapped.
    • The ~ is moved to the # key, and is replaced by a
      ¬ symbol on the back quote (`) key.
    • The \ key is moved to the left of the Z key.
    • The Enter key spans two rows, and is narrower to accommodate the #
      key.
    • On laptop computers, the | and \ key is often placed next to the space bar.

Meanwhile, let us walk you through on how to add a keyboard layout in Windows 10. Follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start Menu.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Select Time & language and click on Region & language.
    • Under Language, click on Windows display language and select
      Options.
    • Click on Add a keyboard.
    • Choose the keyboard layout you want to add or use.

From there, you can now go back to your previous keyboard layout.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Acelyn Alc, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Disable switching keyboard layout key Windows key + Space bar on Windows 10

problem with switching keyboard layout with hot keys

Hi Iryna,

You've mentioned that switching the languages when a browser or Word application is open doesn't work. There are shortcuts that may not work if the program or browser has its own functions being used. Regarding this concern, we'd like to know if you were
    able to try using the Windows key and the Spacebar in switching the languages instead. If you haven't tried it yet, you may refer to this
    link.

Once you're on the page, go to the Switch between keyboard layouts or input methods section. The link will also provide you steps on how to add a new language on your computer.

Note: The steps listed on the link only shows for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but it also applies to Windows 10.

Let us know if you have other queries that we can assist you with.

Eileen Gal, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Disable switching keyboard layout key Windows key + Space bar on Windows 10

1. Disable switching keyboard layout key Windows key + Space bar on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable switching keyboard

2. Keyboard layout key combination is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard layout key combination is not working: I've installed the custom keyboard layout for the Ukrainian language - it has some additional symbols. Everything works perfectly except one combination - Alt+Ctrl+і in the Ukrainian layout in the English layout, it would be Alt+Ctrl+s. It returns nothing, but it should...
  3. Keyboard layout key combination is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard layout key combination is not working: I've installed the custom keyboard layout for the Ukrainian language - it has some additional symbols. Everything works perfectly except one combination - Alt+Ctrl+і in the Ukrainian layout in the English layout, it would be Alt+Ctrl+s. It returns nothing, but it should...
  4. Windows 10 keeps switching keyboard layouts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps switching keyboard layouts.: Hi, After every reboot of an up to date Windows 10, my keyboard layout switches to Swiss German, but I'm working on a PC with a US international keyboard. Sometimes I work from my laptop with a Swiss German keyboard. Somehow the computer's keyboard layout is tied to the...
  5. Windows key + Space bar combination not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows key + Space bar combination not working on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you have multiple keyboard layouts, you can usually switch the keyboard layout using […] This article Windows key + Space bar combination not working on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. keyboard layout and dumb keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard layout and dumb keys: I'm surprizing always - why not all dumb keys don't work correctly and is there a way to switch them to work question is about estonian keyboard, but I hope similar probblems might be with others NOrmally working dumbs: ´e -> é `e -> è `a -> à `u -> ù ~o -> õ ˇs...
  7. Apostrophe key changes keyboard layout.

Apostrophe key changes keyboard layout.: I live in Germany, and have been using a German hardware keyboard while typing due to a lack of ither options. However I generally use the UK layout due to familiarity. Recently however, I have noticed that whenever i press the ' key, which is depicted as the ä key on my...
  8. Disable switching keyboard shortcut key (Win + Space bar) on Windows 10

Disable switching keyboard shortcut key (Win + Space bar) on Windows 10: Note: This is a discussion/feedback and not a question as disabling the switching keyboard short key is currently impossible without installing third party applications. It has been more than 4 years now since the first question was asked on the Microsoft forums, without a...
  9. disabling the keys on keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disabling the keys on keyboard: can we disable the keys on he virtual keyboard if we don't want to use them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/disabling-the-keys-on-keyboard/90b1cae3-3265-4630-85f3-0dddf0a41893
  10. Keyboard keys switched

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Keyboard keys switched: After the latest windows insider update some keys on my keyboard have changed. For example " is now @ and the opposite as well. Meaning if I want the @ key as in a email address, I must push the " key. I cant seem to find a way to reset to default. The normal keyboard default...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change windows space shortcut

2. windows 10 win space disable