Windows 10: Disable System Restore

Discus and support Disable System Restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by omidsolo, Dec 18, 2015.

1. omidsolo Win User

Disable System Restore

Hi,
    I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore:

1. Set Max Usage = 0
    2. Delete all restore points
    3. Disable System Restore

Should be using Command Line.
    1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do.
    For 3rd step:

net stop srservice
    sc config srservice start=disabled
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /V "DisableSR" /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" /V "DisableSR" /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F

although srservice does not work on Win10 :: The service name is invalid.

This one I also found but does not work:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /V "{09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /T REG_MULTI_SZ /D "0" /F
    vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=0GB

Any advise?
    Thanks.

:)

omidsolo, Dec 18, 2015

2. Can't move files to external hard drive because of error.

Tried the system restore and it said:

System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer.

Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry system restore.

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)

I have windows defender (which I disabled for system restore) and no other antivirus.

Moe Elnomany, Dec 18, 2015
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Dec 18, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Disable System Restore

Why are you trying to disable System Restore? Also why are you trying to do it in the Registry?

bro67, Dec 18, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 18, 2015
  6. vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /Disable

If you are concerned about services, those 2 are being used by SR.

Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
    Volume Shadow Copy

sc config swprv start= disabled
    sc config VSS start= disabled

TairikuOkami, Dec 18, 2015
  7. omidsolo Win User
    Thanks a lot TairikuOkami
    I'm tired of questions like "Why do you wanna customize that part" or "leave it as is"!!!
    Of course, I have some enough knowledge of what I wanna do.
    I'm a Windows user since MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 and until now, I never used Windows System Restore!
    So what's the reason to keep it active? IF it's gonna break the Windows down, that's no problem, it's years I'm using a Windows with disabled System Restore!

omidsolo, Dec 18, 2015
  8. pbcopter Win User

Disable System Restore

Some one with less experience that you actually may want to know why an experienced user doesn't want to use system restore or some other function.

pbcopter, Dec 19, 2015
  9. bro67 Win User
    Actually experienced users know what to not touch for a reason. Mucking about in those settings cause more harm than good. Same as thinking restoring everytime something gets screwed up is how managing a LAN group of machines fixes things.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disable System Restore

1. Disable System Restore - Similar Threads - Disable System Restore

2. Will disabling "File History" affect System Restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Will disabling "File History" affect System Restore?: I have no need for the File History feature in Windows, if I disable it, will that affect System restore since it can't keep records of files or they have nothing to do with each other and I can safely disable it? 160213
  3. System restore disabled 2004

System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  4. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  5. System Restore full even when disabled.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Restore full even when disabled.: Is this a bug or some weird oversight by myself??? A while back I noticed some of the machines I manage with fairly small SSD's were becoming full very quickly. When prepping new machines, I always make sure System Restore is disabled. However, when trying to free up some...
  6. System Restore button disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore button disabled: I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 Home version on it, and I am trying to change the System Restore settings. However, the System Restore button is disable. What can I do to re-enable this?...
  7. System Restore Won't Stay Disabled

System Restore Won't Stay Disabled: I did a search but most of the threads were how to turn system restore on or off. I do Macrium backups frequently and absolutely do not need the system restore turned on. I turn it off and occasionally check back only to find it on again. Not sure what is activating it. I am...
  8. Why is system restore disabled by default?

Why is system restore disabled by default?: Any ideas? I understand, that 10 relies on reset/refresh, but disabling SR is a bit drastic. *Shock Especially taking into account, how many flaws are in 10 right now, I wonder how it made RTM. 11443
  9. System Restore disabled and cannot enable it

System Restore disabled and cannot enable it: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  10. Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows How to Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 restore point) without losing personal data files. System Restore is enabled by default in Windows. If disabled, create a restore...