Windows 10: Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Discus and support Disable Touchpad and use External mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How do I use only the plug in mouse and not the mouse pad? * Moved from IE10/other ***Modified title from: I want to use my mouse that plugs in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LorneLarocque, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

How do I use only the plug in mouse and not the mouse pad?

* Moved from IE10/other

***Modified title from: I want to use my mouse that plugs in and not the mouse pad but can notset it up.***

:)

LorneLarocque, Dec 13, 2018

2. Touchpad can't disabled

Hello Joseph,

If your laptop has a touchpad utility software, you may check if it has an option to disable the touchpad. For instructions please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select View by: Small icons.
    • Open Mouse.
    • Click on Touchpad tab.
    • Under the Touchpad sub-menu, click Disable.
    • Click Apply, and OK.
    Disclaimer: If you disable the touchpad, you need to use the keyboard or external mouse to navigate.

We'll wait for the result.

Antoneth Ber, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Deactivate touchpad when external mouse is active

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "and the touchpad setting to disable when external mouse attached has disappeared from settings.", what are the settings available under mouse and touchpad settings?
    • Are you able to see Touchpad option under mouse and touchpad settings?
    • Are you able to recognized which are the recent Windows updates installed on the computer?

If you like to disable touchpad, then I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key

3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.

4. Right click on the touchpad driver and click on Disable.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

disable touchpad

Hi James,

Touchpad is usually disabled and re-enabled by pressing the Fn and either
    F3 or F9 keys, but that depends on the laptop that you have. Each brand have its own shortcut keys. However, you can disable the touchpad from the Settings page. Follow these steps:

1. Open Settings > Devices.
    2. In the left pane, click Touchpad.
    3. To completely disable the touchpad, toggle off Touchpad.
    4. If you only want to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is connected, check the box for
      Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.

Let me know if you need further help so I can assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

1. Disable Touchpad and use External mouse - Similar Threads - Disable Touchpad External

2. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected: I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently realized that my touchpad is back on while the external mouse is connected. I don't use the touchpad as my hand tends to "tap"...
  3. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected: I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently realized that my touchpad is back on while the external mouse is connected. I don't use the touchpad as my hand tends to "tap"...
  4. Touchpad got permanently disabled after using external mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad got permanently disabled after using external mouse: After i used logitech hyperion fury mouse on my asus, touchpad got automatically disabled and i am not able to enable it from the touchpad function key on keyboard. Also, settings for touchpad are also missing from the mouse settings option. [ATTACH]...
  5. Unable to disable touchpad when using mouse.

Unable to disable touchpad when using mouse.: Why did Microsoft not allow touchpad to be disabled when using mouse? It is so idiotic!!! It is very frustrating. I will have to cover the touchpad with hard plastic or cardboard so as not to accidentally move the cursor....
  6. Using BLUETOOTH Microsoft mouse and touchpad will not disable.

Using BLUETOOTH Microsoft mouse and touchpad will not disable.: All the posts about disabling the touchpad on my HP Envy talk about when using a USB mouse. I use a Microsoft BLUETOOTH mouse, and I can find no posts anywhere to help me turn off this @@@%^^& touchpad. I do coding several hours a day and spend far too much DANGEROUS time...
  7. mouse not disabling touchpad

mouse not disabling touchpad: mouse not disabling touchpad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-not-disabling-touchpad/1e36e4be-29f9-416e-b35b-679cbf16f790
  8. disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached

disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached: After one of the most recent Microsoft Windows 10 updates, a feature on our HP Spectre x360 notebook stopped working. Prior to that update, we could enter touchpad setting, additional settings, and click on 'disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is...
  9. turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse

turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse: Since the last update yesterday, I can no longer find where or how to turn off the touchpad mouse. Previous to the update, I had the internal mouse turned off when an external device is present. Now I cannot turn the touchpad mouse off. I've tried FN-F7, I've looked under...
  10. ANSWER TO HOW TO DISABLE TOUCHPAD WHEN EXTERNAL MOUSE USED

ANSWER TO HOW TO DISABLE TOUCHPAD WHEN EXTERNAL MOUSE USED: Go to DEVICE MANAGER Click on Mice and other pointing devises There should be two options listed and right click on the one that is NOT USB choice After right click choose DISABLE DEVICE...