Windows 10: disable web search

Discus and support disable web search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On the start menu I do not like that 10 is searching the web for results. I've found the entries in group policy as shown below but that doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by townsbg, Feb 9, 2015.

1. townsbg Win User

disable web search

townsbg, Feb 9, 2015
  2. David Haz Win User

Cannot disable web search in search settings.

Hello,

May we know if you are logged in as administrator in your device? If yes, we suggest that you create a new user and check if the issue persists.

Update us on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Feb 9, 2015
  3. David Haz Win User
    Cannot disable web search in search settings.

Hello,

We need to ask some information about the issue you are experiencing, kindly respond to the following questions:

• Have you made any significant changes prior to the issue?
    • When does the setting automatically switch on?

We look forward to your prompt response.

Regards.

David Haz, Feb 9, 2015
  4. disable web search

Hi,
    Yep group policy is useless
    You might try opening task manager and killing it there,
    My drive died so I never got to test that part
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Feb 9, 2015
  6. Hi,
    I read that Bing desktop search should be listed :/
    Possibly in start up ?
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Feb 10, 2015
  7. Berkey Win User
    In group policy Select Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search and then enable:

Do not allow web search and Don't search the web or display web results in search.

disable web search [​IMG]

See if that does the trick

Berkey, Feb 10, 2015
  8. Berkey Win User

disable web search

Sorry, just re-read the OP and misread it, I though you were searching the registry not the Group Policy. Strange as I had success with the GP method

Berkey, Feb 10, 2015
  9. Berkey Win User
    Alright, I take it back. Initially I wasn't getting web results, but also no results in my Start menu. Then I did a restart and everything is back to the way it was, web results and all. Hmm, strange, I'd imagine it will be possible in the final release, but it would be nice to have the option now. Perhaps it is one of the new strange services that have no descriptions such as dcpsvc? I haven't played with them yet so maybe I'll take a snapshot and experiment later

Berkey, Feb 10, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, Cortana more or less controls search on W10TP!
    Either you have to uninstall it or put up with it!

(Kinda like my last marriage! Women!!!) *Wink

Edwin, Feb 10, 2015
  11. I posted feedback in the Taskbar section because Cortana is not really inside the start menu
    Lots of capitals *Wink

ThrashZone, Feb 10, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    The GPEdit tweak is just for the 'User Search' UI:

before and after the tweaks:

Edwin, Feb 10, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

disable web search

Edwin, Feb 10, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Edwin, how are you getting to the window you show?

Ztruker, Jun 22, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    WinX Menu(right click Start)►Search►Hamburger menu on Cortana UI►Notebook►Settings►turn Cortana Off

Edwin, Jun 22, 2015
Thema:

disable web search

1. disable web search - Similar Threads - disable web search

2. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  3. Re disable web search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re disable web search: The system updated to the new 2020 update and re-enabled web search. The previous ways to disable it do not work. How do you disable it again. Being told that it isn't an option isn't an answer or solution....
  4. disable web search start menu 1909

disable web search start menu 1909: Does anyone know how to disable the start menu sending everything you type in there to microsoft? I tried the tricks from previous builds ( reg entries forAllowSearchToUseLocation,BingSearchEnabled and CortanaConsent ) but in 1909 it continues to send whatever I search for...
  5. Disabling "See web results" from search

Disabling "See web results" from search: Hi. I've tried multiple tutorials on the internet, and nothing removes the "see web results" in 1903. It's really irritating that Edge opens when I mistype something and press enter. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/ApertureNext [link] [comments]...
  6. How to disable search the web option in Search/Cortana?

in Cortana
    How to disable search the web option in Search/Cortana?: How do you disable "search the web" in search/Cortana? ***Modified title from: Search*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-search-the-web-option-in/27e0c3a8-c337-49d7-8416-5c7dd8d9dc4f"
  7. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  8. Disable web results in search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable web results in search: What am I missing here to stop getting web results when searching for stuff on my PC? Enabling "Do not allow web search" does....nothing..... [img] [img] 120609
  9. Whete is the option to disable web search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whete is the option to disable web search results?: I am trying to sort out a problem here. Two of my PC's have recently started to include web results in the search, which is something I don't want. It may well be that I forgot to disable that feature when I first installed Win 10. However, I now can't find the disable. I...
  10. How to disable cortanas web search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable cortanas web search?: I just reinstalled and theres no option in her settings to turn off the web search she does when you search for files on your pc and such. How else could I turn it off if its not listed in her settings? 24449