Windows 10: Disable Windows prompt to select 'playback device' every time you connect a device

Discus and support Disable Windows prompt to select 'playback device' every time you connect a device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, question is as per the subject. Very frequently I am either wirelessly casting to my TV, or plugging in a second monitor using a HDMI cable.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nidstang, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Nidstang Win User

Disable Windows prompt to select 'playback device' every time you connect a device

Hello, question is as per the subject.

Very frequently I am either wirelessly casting to my TV, or plugging in a second monitor using a HDMI cable. Every time I do this there is a pop-up to select my playback device which becomes the active window or starts flashing in the taskbar. I've never had to manually select a playback device (all but one are disabled) so the prompt isn't needed and I'd like to disable it.

I have spent some time searching for a solution but couldn't find one. Thanks in advance.

:)

Nidstang, Jul 23, 2019

2. Welcome to the Thunder dome!!!!!

Switching between HDMI or regular audio will be very simple once you have made the connections.

In Vista -> Right click the speaking icon in the task bar --> playback devices --> select HDMI and set as default.

In "Playback Devices" you will see 2 HDMI outputs in the list. I suggest you disable the second HDMI audio in the device manager. In device manager the second device will be below the main HDMI output in the list of sound devices. you can disable it there to save confusion.

TRIPTEX_CAN, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Selecting bootup device

Hello all,

Loaded up my computer last night and it keeps prompting me to select a boot device. I'm pretty sure the hard-drives knackered but was wondering if I've gone through every possibility before going out and buying a new one.....

So far i've....

- Checked the boot up menu in BIOS. Drive isnt found
    - The drive does sound as if its still spinning
    - Tried mounting through Linux, no luck. Internal error.
    - Checked connections

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wozzer, Jul 23, 2019
  4. CK011885 Win User

Disable Windows prompt to select 'playback device' every time you connect a device

How do I get my HDTV to show up in Playback Devices?

In Windows 7 64-bit, I used to see my Samsung HDTV that I use as my computer monitor listed under the Playback Devices, and if I selected it, audio would come out of my TV. I recently had an issue with a power surge killing my speaker's receiver, so until I get that fixed or replaced I have nothing but headphones which gets a little annoying. As average as the quality from the TV is, I'd like to use it for some things again in the meantime. However, I don't see the TV listed in Playback Devices like I used to.

I have Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices both checked off, but the only two things I see are my headphones and the still plugged in but not working receiver. Any thoughts?

Edit: I figured out what the issue was. I have a GTX 590 and needed to plug the HDMI-DVI cable I use to connect the GPU to my TV to a different DVI input. It's working fine now.

CK011885, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Disable Windows prompt to select 'playback device' every time you connect a device - Similar Threads - Disable prompt select

2. Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.: I often switch between my headset and the monitor for audio, and while this is simply done for most applications by clicking the volume icon in the taskbar and changing devices, this only changes the default audio device, not the default communication device. This becomes a...
  3. Bluetooth Devices Not Available Under Playback Selections

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Devices Not Available Under Playback Selections: Running Windows 10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad. Bluetooth devices are showing as paired, Bose Headphones for example. Yet when I open the Sound panel they don't show up as a Playback option on that tab. What gives?...
  4. Bluetooth Devices Not Available Under Playback Selection

Bluetooth Devices Not Available Under Playback Selection: Running Windows 10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad. Bluetooth devices are showing as connected and paired, Bose Headphones for example. Yet when I open the Sound panel they don't show up as a Playback option on that tab. What gives? All bluetooth diagnostics have been run but I can't...
  5. How to disable "Which device did you plug in?" Prompt.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable "Which device did you plug in?" Prompt.: I've read a lot of queries asking how to disable the obnoxious prompt and have figured out a method of doing so without control panel. This is done on Windows 10. Go to the settings application by pressing the windows key or clicking the windows icon at the bottom left...
  6. Bluetooth Paired but not listed on Select playback device..

Bluetooth Paired but not listed on Select playback device..: Hi guys.. Im running a Windows 10 on 32bit lenovo thinkpad T61 4gb ram 1tb Hardrive I have purchased a CSR Bluetooth V2.1+EDR bluetooth and have a Nyne Rebel Speaker My issue is when i installed the >> CSR Bluetooth V2.1+EDR Device driver it all showed up and let me add...
  7. Bluetooth Paired but not listed on Select playback device..

in Windows 10 Support
    Bluetooth Paired but not listed on Select playback device..: Hi guys.. Im running a Windows 10 on 32bit lenovo thinkpad T61 4gb ram 1tb Hardrive I have purchased a CSR Bluetooth V2.1+EDR bluetooth and have a Nyne Rebel Speaker My issue is when i installed the >> CSR Bluetooth V2.1+EDR Device driver it all showed up and let me add...
  8. Line-in doesn't playback in selected Playback device

Line-in doesn't playback in selected Playback device: Here are my "relevant" system specs: CPU: 5960X Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme This seemed to have worked fine under Windows 7, but it stopped working awhile ago, I "think" about the time I upgraded to Windows 10. My Line-in will not playback any audio through my...
  9. Disable a Playback Device for a certain program?

Disable a Playback Device for a certain program?: Hello good people, First off, Windows 10 on an XPS 15 9560 - 7700k My question stems from a bit of annoyance, and not necessarily a problem... Basically, I want to disable the Speakers/Headphones device for only one program, Battlefield 1, because I use Bluetooth...
  10. Playback devices

Playback devices: Before I received the Creators update, plugging my headphones into the front jack socket did not automatically switch the default playback device from speakers to headphones. I had to go to the playback device menu and do this manually. Since the update, plugging in the...