Windows 10: Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder

Discus and support Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; TNX all for yr help. I solved the problem *Biggrin. There is no File association for Winrar If you look closely at the ".rar" files in my image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by coukou, Apr 5, 2018.

1. coukou Win User

Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder

TNX all for yr help. I solved the problem *Biggrin. There is no File association for Winrar

If you look closely at the ".rar" files in my image above, they are not .rar files but .zip files associated with Winrar. That's why their icon is Winrar's.
    It was enough to disable zip Explorer folder (see reg file bellow) and everything is back in order.
    Code: [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder\CLSID] [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.zip\CLSID][/quote] Regards

coukou, Apr 5, 2018
  2. coukou Win User

Hello,
    I'm using Win10 Pro x64 and I would like to disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder (see image bellow)
    I was inspired by this tutorial to disable windows showing explorer .rar files as a folder without success.
    The register bellow not exist
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.rar\CLSID]

Regards

Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder [​IMG]

:)

coukou, Apr 15, 2018
  3. Opening Zipped files (.rar) without Winzip in Windows 10

Windows Explorer does not support RAR archives because RAR is proprietary file format of third-party vendor. But there is a way to make
    Explorer understand RAR files. You can install the software implementing special namespace shell extension. This NSE will be used by Explorer and you will be able to handle RAR archives with the same way
    as you handle ZIP files. One of the tool that implements such NSE is
    TC4Shell. Screenshot of opened RAR archive directly in Windows Explorer:

DecAnisimov, Apr 15, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

.rar Fonts

A rar file is basically a compressed folder like a zip folder - the font(s) are inside that rar file

You will need to uncompress the rar file to get the enclosed fonts, if you do not have any compression software loaded,

Click HERE
    to download Universal Unextractor a very small and free utility that will extract files from all compressed files/folders. Install that software, then right click the rar file and choose 'Unextract Here' to gain access to the fonts . . .

DaveM121, Apr 15, 2018
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You could try to copy this code into notepad and save as disable rar folderview:

Code: [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder\CLSID] [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.rar\CLSID][/quote] Then merge it into the registry and restart the pc.

Note that I have not tried it yet so use it with caution.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 15, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @coukou

The folder icons for .zip and .rar in your screenshot are not standard Windows icons. Windows has no built in support for .rar so shows a generic 'file' icon. Windows has support for .zip and shows its own icon in File Explorer. This is how it normally looks.

You have obviously installed a third-party app that has added its own extensions and icons to File Explorer. Which one did you install?

Edit: from your screenshot, it would seem to be WinRAR, the .zip and .rar files are listed as type 'Archive WinRAR ZIP'. It would be the file associations for WinRAR that you'd need to look for in the registry.

7. Berton Win User
    A simple comment, .zip/zipped/compressed files will show as Folders with their own icon because they do contain one or more files, double-clicking one will show the files and right-clicking should show an Extract for decompressing into a different Folder.

Berton, Apr 15, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Installing WinRAR has replaced the native Windows functionality with its own, by the looks of it.

9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Yes, Winrar does so by default. One reason I prefer 7Z is that it exists as a portable and supports many archive formats without being invasive like Winrar is.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 15, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    Also +1 for 7-Zip.
    The main reason years ago [20] that I went with WinZip was its ability to compress files then create an .exe file for easy decompressing on other computers without a .zip-type program, was a project for a client.

Berton, Apr 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder - Similar Threads - Disable showing rar

2. Show number of files in folder in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show number of files in folder in Explorer?: Using Windows 11In Explorer it will show folders and files. For folders, is there a column/field I can add along with Name, Type, Date Created, etc that will show if there are files in that folder, or how many files are in that folder? I basically want to know if folders...
  3. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  4. File Explorer "save as" folders not showing

File Explorer "save as" folders not showing: Hi Everyone,Not even sure how to ask this question. It' sounds beyond dumb and I've never seen this before......I was working in Photoshop and went to save a file. When the "save as" window opened, the left side folder directory was totally gone – total white space. I have a...
  5. file explorer rar

file explorer rar: for some reason now my files in file explorer only download in rar and open in internet explorer. i want to change it back to the default settings, because those originally worked for me....
  6. Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?

Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?: I tried to switch around some stuff because my .rar's opened as Windows Media Players application. I attempted to find the explorer .exe. I found it and it said this. [ATTACH]...
  7. rar files opening with Internet Explorer

rar files opening with Internet Explorer: I want My rar files to open with Internet Explorer but I accidentally got them opening with Internet Explorer. I want them to return to opening with Files Explorer....
  8. File Explorer folders not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer folders not showing: I am unable to open File Explorer to the normal view (folders/files listed down left side of screen e,g, Libraries; OneDrive; This PC; Local C; Network etc.). All I see is Quick Access. I have restarted my computer and reset File Explorer defaults. I have tried to...
  9. Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size

Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size: Need Help, Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size. Its very difficult to identify big size folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-not-showing-folder-size/7b31df8a-3fe7-41d2-97c9-d5cfb6c93cf1"
  10. .rar files

in Windows 10 Customization
    .rar files: When I Try To Open .rar Files Its Not Working PLESE HELP ME[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/rar-files/c25d582a-edae-4ea0-8b49-0ca1aa0e02eb

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .rjar files showing as folder