Windows 10: Disable Write Protected CD-RW

Discus and support Disable Write Protected CD-RW in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello i have a gamedisk that i want to format. But when i click format disk E: it says the disk is write protected and i want to disable write protect.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AshutoshGilliam, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Disable Write Protected CD-RW

Hello i have a gamedisk that i want to format. But when i click format disk E: it says the disk is write protected and i want to disable write protect. I tryed to fix it with diskpart in cmd. But no help the CD doesn't show up. it says
    only 1 disc witch is the system and i have the CD in it just doesn't show up. It shows up in "list volume" but i say "format disc E:\" but it says write protected. Please let me know if their is a fix my os is windows 10
    Disable Write Protected CD-RW b0be5879-67a4-4886-9dc0-763a97e9f1a7?upload=true.png

:)

AshutoshGilliam, Feb 13, 2020

2. write protect on cd-rw

Hello i have a gamedisk that i want to format. But when i click format disk D: it says the disk is write protected and i want to disable write protect. I tryed to fix it with diskpart in cmd. But no help the CD doesn't show up. it says

only 1 disc witch is the system and i have the CD in it just doesn't show up. It shows up in "list volume" but i say "format disc D:\" but it says write protected. Please let me know if their is a fix my os is windows 10

kasey shadden, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Window 10 will not let me burn my pictures on CD-RW

Hi Judy,

CD-RW needs a more sensitive optical lens to read or write on it. There is a possibility that your CD burner can't write on a CD-RW. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• What app are you using to burn on the CD-RW?
    • Have you tried using a CD-R or another CD-RW?
    • Were you able to burn on a CD-RW using the same CD burner prior to this issue?
    • Were there any changes made to your computer before this?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Suman_B Win User

Disable Write Protected CD-RW

write protect on cd-rw

Hi Kasey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that this caused you inconvenience.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

Method 1: Modify Registry.

1. Right-click Start , then select
      Run.
    2. Enter regedit in the Open: box and select
      OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
    4. In the left pane, right click Control key and select
      New -> Key.
    5. Name the new sub-key so created as
      StorageDevicePolicies.
    6. In the right pane of this sub-key i.e.
      StorageDevicePolicies, right click and select New ->
      DWORD Value.
    7. Name the newly created DWORD as
      WriteProtect.
    8. Sometimes DWORD might be found under the sub-key and the DWORD has a Value set to Double-click on the
      DWORD to modify its Value data.
    9. Change the Value data to 0 from 1.

Method 2: Diskpart command.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type
      Command Prompt, right click on Command Prompt and then select as administrator.
    2. Type Diskpart in Command prompt and press enter.
    3. Type list disk
      on the next prompt and hit enter (Search for the disk number under the heading Disk ### for the disk that you want to switch off write protection.).
    4. Enter Select disk followed by the disk number and hit enter.
    5. Type attributes disk clear readonly
      and press enter
    6. Close the command prompt and reboot the PC to take effect

Suggest you perform Restore
      from a system restore point

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur
      if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Disable Write Protected CD-RW

1. Disable Write Protected CD-RW - Similar Threads - Disable Write Protected

2. CD is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CD is write protected: HelloI want to format my school CD and use some things on himBut when i go to format him it says the disk is write protected I tried going to cmd and cleared attributes but is is still same thing Can you help me?...
  3. CD is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD is write protected: HelloI want to format my school CD and use some things on himBut when i go to format him it says the disk is write protected I tried going to cmd and cleared attributes but is is still same thing Can you help me?...
  4. CD is write protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?: I have a pocket cd-rw which i want to write some files to, and i made windows format it as " use like a flash drive " . However, when i write multiple files at once, it says " This drive is cd-rom drive which cant write to a cd-rw " however it successfully writes some files....
  6. Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?: I have a pocket cd-rw which i want to write some files to, and i made windows format it as " use like a flash drive " . However, when i write multiple files at once, it says " This drive is cd-rom drive which cant write to a cd-rw " however it successfully writes some files....
  7. Dvd drive cannot write to cd-rw ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. CD/DVD+-RW will not play.

CD/DVD+-RW will not play.: It worked fine before I updated to Windows 10. I've tried everything I read but still no success. I've uninstalled and rebooted comp (nothing). I look in the DIRECTORY and it is there. I right click and can open it, but it still will not read the disk. I ran a hardware scan...
  9. write protect on cd-rw

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    write protect on cd-rw: Hello i have a gamedisk that i want to format. But when i click format disk D: it says the disk is write protected and i want to disable write protect. I tryed to fix it with diskpart in cmd. But no help the CD doesn't show up. it says only 1 disc witch is the system and i...
  10. Write Protected DVD-RW, can't format

Write Protected DVD-RW, can't format: DVD-RW are re-writable correct? I tired to format it and it said i couldn't because of write protection is there any way i can remove the write protection on it? 26002