Windows 10: Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

Discus and support Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bradleypariah, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions.
    Here's what I did initially:
    Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and set the value to 0. I also went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection I create a new DWORD and named it AllowTelemetry and set it to 0. Lastly, in the Services tab of Task Manager, I disabled dmwappushsvc, and Connected User Experiences and Telemetry.[/quote] In an attempt to reverse my actions last night, I re-enabled the two things in Services, and I changed my two registry keys to a value of '1', and then rebooted. No change. Also tried deleting my DWORDs and rebooting. No change.
    I have run sfc /scannow, no problems detected.
    I have run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, no problems.
    Ran /RestoreHealth anyway, no change.
    I checked gpedit Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Allow Cortana, and she's enabled.

Cortana is still replaced by a magnifying glass called "Search", and no mention of Cortana is in the right-click menu of the taskbar.

If I click on Search, then click the Settings icon, it takes me to the Settings home.

If I type "Cortana" into the search field of Settings, there is an entry called "Cortana & Search Settings" in the drop-down, but if I click on it, nothing opens up; I just remain on the home page of Settings.

I am running 10 Pro 64-bit, v.1709, build 16299.125

:)

bradleypariah, Dec 15, 2017

2. Cortana Disabled by Company Policy

I installed Windows 10 Pro, and got Cortana to work fine (in the US). I was a little frustrated about the web search when using the search bar in the start menu to find an obscure program, so I temporarily disabled Cortana. When
    I went to re-enable her, I pressed "on" in the settings and it asked me to agree to the privacy policy and I clicked agree (at least I thought I did). Now it says Cortana is disabled by company policy, so I wonder if I refused the policy. But, there is no
    option to accept the policy now and I cannot turn Cortana back on (it says disabled by company policy with a ^ button that appears to do nothing). How do I fix this?

Personal Info, Dec 15, 2017
  3. Dismade Win User
    Cortana missing

Cortana is missing from my taskbar. I remember a while back I disabled Cortana somehow, and ever since I've been searching for a way to re-enable it. searched through the Cortana settings when I wanted her back, and found the option "Search online and
    include web results" disabled. I enabled it and went back to the home and it was disabled again. Every time I try it gets automatically disabled.

Dismade, Dec 15, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

Cliff S, Dec 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the response.

The problem with those instructions is that you must click on Cortana in order to sign in to Cortana. I don't have Cortana to begin with.
    I have a magnifying glass in her place, and when I click on it, there is no "Notebook icon", or any prompts to sign in to anything.

6. Cliff S New Member
    There is always the repair install method.
    That's actually my favorite, when I just don't feel like troubleshooting*Wink

Cliff S, Dec 15, 2017
  7. Yeah. May as well do that. Thanks.

8. Cliff S New Member

You're welcome, I hope it fixes it*Smile

Cliff S, Dec 15, 2017
  9. All clear. Have to reinstall my favorite software, but that's it. I even played a game before I realized I haven't downloaded my Nvidia driver. I was wondering why I saw so much screen-tearing!
    *sarc

bradleypariah, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her. - Similar Threads - Disabled Cortana cannot

2. Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen: I was wondering once you Disable your tocuhscreen, are you able to Enable it again after? Just asking before I make a mistake. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-and-re-enabling-touchscreen/0ea8942b-e1b9-4773-a5ef-8a226289eb83
  3. Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen: I was wondering once you Disable your tocuhscreen, are you able to Enable it again after? Just asking before I make a mistake. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-and-re-enabling-touchscreen/0ea8942b-e1b9-4773-a5ef-8a226289eb83
  4. Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to re-enable Cortana after disabling with .bak method?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-enable Cortana after disabling with .bak method?: I'm on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update version and a while back I disabled Cortana completely with this method: Can I completely disable Cortana on Windows 10? - Super User Now I want to re-enable it again, how would I go about that? I checked the SystemApps folder...
  6. System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  7. Windows key disabled by system cannot re-enable, help..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows key disabled by system cannot re-enable, help..: Hello my windows key got disabled when I turned my pc on a message popped up saying: "system has disabled the windows key" I tried to do this method; [']https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-windows-key], but the download doesn't work and there is no sancode map...
  8. How do I re-enable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I re-enable Cortana?: I have disabled and renamed the folder of cortana, knowing not what I was doing and now I can't use the search function. I really need this for what I do. I thought I could close Cortana without getting rid of the search function, but I guess it did. *cry Now, I don't know...
  9. Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled: Hello! If I disable websearch in the taskbar by setting the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\ConnectedSearchUseWeb to 0 and/or I disable Cortana completely either by setting the key...
  10. Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Looking to get this folder back: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5m1h2txyewy

2. how to re enable cortana