Windows 10: Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING

Discus and support Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Please remember my DVD drive is INTERNAL SATA connected. When I disabled my internal DVD drive and shut off or restart my laptop computer, my DVD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by johns_program, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING

Please remember my DVD drive is INTERNAL SATA connected.

When I disabled my internal DVD drive and shut off or restart my laptop computer, my DVD drive couldn't get enabled again.

While it shows up as a hidden device in the device manager, there's no option to enable it. Uninstalling it totally removes it and doesn't get reinstalled. Regardless if uninstalled or not, I checked my BIOS and it no longer detects the DVD drive. My DVD drive still gets power, but the entire machine no longer detects it. My DVD basically got lost!

But, I found a weird workaround....

If I physically remove the DVD drive in and out and then powered my laptop, the DVD drive works again. It's back on the BIOS, on the device manager.

Ok, while that fixed the problem, I still want to disable the DVD drive on demand in order to conserve battery power and keep it from spinning spontaneously. But, I don't want to always physically remove the DVD drive each and every time.

What it all boils down to is: why does my DVD drive becomes totally forgotten?

OS Build: 18363.1016
    AHCI: auto enabled

:)

johns_program, Aug 16, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738

3. DVD Drive repeatedly missing

Thanks for your suggestions.

My PC is ASROCK ACPI X64 and the DVD drive is optiarc DVD RW AD 5240S.

I have tried all your methods from 1 to 3 but none solved the problem.

Method 1 Step 5

Run as administrator not available

Method 2 Step C

Expand DVD/CD rom drives Not visable

Method 3 Step 3

Corrupted files found but not all fixed

All updates have been installed.

Any new suggestions?

Regards:

David Massey 175, Aug 16, 2020
  4. LRW
    lrw Win User

Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING

DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC'

Yes, I have tried uninstalling both the DVD/CD-ROM drives and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers from device manager and rebooting. Not sure which controllers you are suggesting are missing. Also cleaned the laser.

Thema:

Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING

1. Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING - Similar Threads - Disabled DVD drive

2. DVD/CD drive missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD drive missing: Unable to find all drives except my C: drive. Even went into registry to try and delete upper and lower filters. They dont exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive-missing/68b6d901-97d0-430b-81bd-67aebafa94cc
  3. Missing DVD Drive:

Missing DVD Drive:: I recently had my computer upgraded with new hardware, including motherboard, etc. Today I found that my DVD drive is not working. It's been several months since the upgrade so I thought I would try this on my own. I Googled a remedy and in the process, following...
  4. DVD drive missing from File Explorer

DVD drive missing from File Explorer: After downloading an App, my D: DVD drive showed the app in the drive when I keyed on it. There was NO media in the drive. I pressed the eject button and the drive D: disappeared from the drive list. Device Manager shows the drive present and operating correctly with no error...
  5. Drive E goes missing

Drive E goes missing: I'm running Win 10 64 bit and my E: drive keeps disappearing. I'm running dual 1TB mirrored drives (C: and D:) and a 2TB drive (E:) for files/work. From time to time my E: drive disappears from my system. If I reboot it sh ows in BIOS, but Windows will still not see it....
  6. Missing DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing DVD: After Window10 update my HP All IN One DVD-ROM drive is missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-dvd/20e1b580-1d71-4c41-b562-b4272da7c250
  7. DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC'

DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC': I have searched for two days and tried everything that google served up to try to get this drive to show up. I think it dates back to when I did the Windows 10 upgrade but not sure, I hardly ever used the DVD writer, even before that, so this may have been missing since that...
  8. DVD drive missing

DVD drive missing: I hardly ever use it, so hadn't noticed until today that my DVD drive has disappeared from Device Manager (no DVD-CD ROMs appear there at all) and I cannot use CDs/DVDs in my PC. I strongly suspect Windows 10 as the culprit. I upgraded from W7 early August. However, I can't...
  9. DVD drive missing

DVD drive missing: Had NUMEROUS problems with Windows 10 and ran the reset program to reinstall Windows 10. Now, my DVD drive is shown in device manager but not in file manager so I cannot load all my software from disk. How do I get the DVD drive back so I can reloading TurboTax and other...
  10. DVD Drive all of a sudden missing

DVD Drive all of a sudden missing: So according to my bios the dvd drive is there but as soon as Windows 10 boot its not listen anywhere. Anyone else had this issue? 4692