Windows 10: Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ...

Discus and support Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I complete removed all AppX packages using a custom WIM image made with MSMG Toolkit and then further removed a lot of bloatware by editing State... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MonarchX, May 5, 2017.

1. MonarchX Win User

Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ...

I complete removed all AppX packages using a custom WIM image made with MSMG Toolkit and then further removed a lot of bloatware by editing State (AppX) Repository SQL Database, which made it possible to remove provisioned AppX's and the "hard-coded" ones MS does not want anyone to remove. The only 2 AppX's left are the ones necessary for normal OS function:
    1. Immersive Control Panel - self-explanatory - has important settings and options not present in classic Control Panel.
    2. ShellExperienceHost - you need it for the Metro Start UI, which is not necessary, but without this AppX your Taskbar will act funny, especially in games.
    3. (Optional) MS Edge - need it for Netflix playback at 1080p and unlike the Netflix App, it does not require Store, associated VCLibs, Frameworks, and other bloatware.

My "Program Files\WindowsApps" folder is empty, my "User\AppData\Local\Packages" contains only ActiveSync, Edge, Immersive CP, and ShellExperienceHost folders. The same applies to "ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository" directory and sub-directories where the only files, folders, and sub-folders present are for the 3 AppX's I mentioned.

My point is that even though my setup as bloatware free as common sense allows, I still cannot get rid of the damn Xbox Game features! Xbox Apps were not even installed and fully eradicated. I applied tweaks like:

- Disabled all Xbox-related services and drivers

- Set "Disable FullScreen Optimizations" for every game EXE in Properties-->Compatibility tab.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR]"AppCaptureEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar]"AllowAutoGameMode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR]"AllowGameDVR"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore]"GameDVR_Enabled"=dword:00000000"GameDVR_FSEBehavior"=dword:00000002"GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword: 00000002

[HKEY_USERS\MyUserNameSID\System\GameConfigStore]"GameDVR_Enabled"=dword:00000000"GameDVR_FSEBehavior"=dword:00000002"GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword: 00000002

The GameDVR Policy setting alone is supposed to disable them all, except for Game Mode maybe, but other tweaks were necessary to prevent Broadcast and DVR services from appearing in Task Manager when games were launched.

Yet given all that, I still have "GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" from System32 folder showing up whenever I launch any game!!! The only way to get rid of it is to either rename it or to delete it or to move, but that results in Event Log errors for every launched Game.EXE and will get repaired with every "SFC ScanNow" run.

How do I make GameBarPresenceWrite stop starting up with games without deleting/renaming/moving it, without doing something that would neither be repaired with SFC ScanNow nor produce Event Log errors?

:)

MonarchX, May 5, 2017

2. Gamebar process problem

Yeah, Like many people here have commented I have disabled everything in relation to Windows Game mode, gamedvr and gamebar in the settings menu. When that failed to fix the issue, I disabled everything in the registry in relation to game mode, gamedvr and
    gamebar. That stupid gamebar presence process was still there. Then I used powershell to remove the xbox app. Still there. It only started doing this today. Please get rid of this crap and give me back control over what runs on my own computer.

Thanks.

GingerMonkey_891, May 5, 2017
  3. Lital- Win User
    Game DVR - Access is Denied

I'd like to share my solution to this issue.

I was trying to get game DVR to work in the first place to disable it overriding usage of the guide button on the controller so I could use it properly in Steam.

Here is how I made GameDVR work:

1. Run the Xbox app

2. After clicking settings and GameDVR you should find your access denied message

3. Run a game through the Xbox application, I used Minecraft for this since it was offered as a free promotion when I first installed win10

4. The gamebar showed up (Win+G) and I was able to record footage using it

5. (optional) Using the settings menu on the gamebar itself after popping up I was able to disable the guide button, this isn't what most people are after but it's the setting I wanted.

6. After my 30 second Minecraft recording all the options suddenly became accessible for me.

Lital-, May 5, 2017
  4. Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ...

I do not think that is possible, you want to break Windows functionality and not it to complain about it. *really
    If you take ownership of the file & remove all users or deny access to all, it will prevent SFC scan from fixing it.
    I have just tested it & it works, not sure about event log errors, I have event logging & event service disabled.

For the record, I share the feeling, I have disabled gamebar and this thing just kept running. Darn you MS. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, May 5, 2017
  5. MonarchX Win User
    Sweet! Thanks! I did not know Event Log can be disabled and the 2 Network-related services that rely on it without breaking internet connection! Heh! More tweakage!

I made a backup of the GameBarPresenceWriter.exe and the other 5-6 Game-bla-bla files and deleted them without any ill effects!

What is funny is that Game Mode actually improved my benchmark results in terms of FPS, but there were so many stutters that are now gone for good!

MonarchX, May 5, 2017
  6. MonarchX Win User
    I found out how to disable GameBarPresenceWriter without breaking the OS!

1. You need to rename (or delete) both KnownGameList.bin files to something else - rename the one in "Windows\BCastDVR" directory first and only then rename the one in "User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GameDVR" directory using Unlocker (may require restart). If you do it the other way around, then risk the OS copying the KnownGameList.bin file from BCastDVR into the User directory.

Then you need to navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore" registry directory, find Children and Parent keys and delete ALL "hex-encoded" sub-keys under them as those sub-keys were created when you launched any game on that KnownGameList. Now, this does break SFC ScanNow, but it will repair it too since another non-active KnownGameList.bin file is located in "Windows\WinSxS" directory.

MonarchX, May 18, 2017
  7. Archie123 Win User
    That game mode and the "optimisations" that came with it is the most pointless and buggy windows update ive known since millenium edition *Biggrin . The "creators update" lit up the internet with issues. I had massive drops in gpu usage , black screens , issues with colour profiles , games crashing , wasted hours sorting it all out . It needs killing dead Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ... :p

Archie123, May 21, 2017
  8. emka Win User

I did this and GamePresenceWriter.exe still starts every time i start a game. Any other suggestions?

emka, Sep 6, 2017
  9. You can simply remove it.

Code: takeown /f "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /a icacls "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /grant:r Administrators:F /c taskkill /im GameBarPresenceWriter.exe /f del "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /s /f /q[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Sep 6, 2017
  10. emka Win User
    Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ... [​IMG]

I dont't think that works *Sad

Dunno if this is of any help.

11. [/quote] Does not work.

RoasterMen, Sep 8, 2017
  12. xkkwx Win User
    hello boys, i found how to disable GameBarPresenceWriter.exe (This is a telemetry program that sends statistics of the behavior of the game with the included game bar)

Step 1:
    Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.Pres enceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter"

Step 2:
    Set owner "Everyone" or "Administrators" or "Current User", and assign full permissions

Step 3:
    set "ActivationType" to "0"

xkkwx, Oct 15, 2017
  13. Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ...

Hi, can you please explain how to do Step 2?

I am seeing this, I'm not sure how to get past it. I am the only user and owner of the PC.

futurefields, Nov 28, 2017
  14. Turn it on, let it update then disable it inside.

RoasterMen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabled GameBar, GameMode, GameDVR in every way possible and yet ... - Similar Threads - Disabled GameBar GameMode

2. try every way possible, can not install update kb5019959

in Windows 10 Gaming
    try every way possible, can not install update kb5019959: try every way possible, can not install update kb5019959 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/try-every-way-possible-can-not-install-update/f4e8473a-2ef0-4b90-961e-20265ff85e8d
  3. Disable Gamebar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Gamebar: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 11 I've been running into performance issues with the games I play. I have narrowed it down to not being able to delete/ disable the Xbox game bar. I know this because back in windows 10 once I would turn off the feature my PC would run...
  4. Disable Gamebar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Gamebar: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 11 I've been running into performance issues with the games I play. I have narrowed it down to not being able to delete/ disable the Xbox game bar. I know this because back in windows 10 once I would turn off the feature my PC would run...
  5. Is there a way to disable trustedinstaller for every file on a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to disable trustedinstaller for every file on a drive: I'm trying to delete some file folders that are blocked by the trustedinstaller https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-disable-trustedinstaller-for/bcca571a-882d-41be-bcea-4f4b6b194052
  6. Why is Gamebar Presence Writer running, while GameDVR is disabled?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Gamebar Presence Writer running, while GameDVR is disabled?!: Why is Gamebar Presence Writer running, while Game bar/DVR is disabled?! It is disabled in setting along game mode, with verything in that category... I don't have xbox app, xbox services are off. In regedit Game bar/DVR disabled in all these locations:...
  7. Gamemode on 2004 with HAGS On?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gamemode on 2004 with HAGS On?: Should I use Windows 10 Gamemode with HAGS enabled? submitted by /u/UnknownGuyiii [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hqnene/gamemode_on_2004_with_hags_on/
  8. Is there any way to disable triple buffering on dwm.exe yet?

Is there any way to disable triple buffering on dwm.exe yet?: This has been an absolute nightmare for me since I got off of Windows 7, and I know that you can't disable DWM.exe, but can you turn off the triple buffering aspect of it? I have a G-SYNC monitor, so I don't need the syncing from DWM. submitted by /u/ChipsAhoiMcCoy [link]...
  9. Is there any possible way to disable windows 10 updater?

Is there any possible way to disable windows 10 updater?: Alright, so every single god damn day now, ( this has been going on for the past 6 months ) I need to wait 2 hours daily when powering on my laptop, for the installing updates screen then it will fail, and say undoing changes etc. I am looking for a proper solution to fix...
  10. Looking for every way possible to squeeze as much performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Looking for every way possible to squeeze as much performance: Hey guys, so I bought a Minix Z64 Windows edition and it's very weak hardware wise, but it does the job pretty nicely when I load any media on to it, which is it's only purpose. I find myself enjoying it a lot, it has very nice performance for a streamer but I can't help but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode

2. GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode 2020

3. gamebar still showing in taskmanager even though i disabled it

4. turn off service host gamed dvr,
  5. knowngamelist.bin cant be removed,
  6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.PresenceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter,
  7. how to disable BcastDVRUserService_1cac6f,
  8. gamebar presence writer still popping up