Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?

Discus and support Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system. I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Jaxel Win User

So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system.

I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then restarted my computer.

However, "Cortana" is still listed in my task manager taking up 50mb of memory.

How do I kill Cortana?

:)

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Sachin Venkatesh Win User

cortana using memory ofter switching off

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

As mentioned above, Inbuilt search services are integrated with the Cortana services in Windows 10.

So if you have disabled the online search also still the Cortana is for search indexing in Windows 10.

Hope this helps.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Sachin Venkatesh Win User
    Cortana Service and Cortana Process - Does MS consider them one and the same

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Even if you disable the Cortana online services in the task manager the search option is integrated with the Cortana and hence it still shows Cortana services in the Task Manager and Cortana is a search to your inbuilt search options for the files and folders
    as well as the apps.

I would suggest you to refer the below link for more information on Cortana.

Cortana, Search, and privacy: FAQ

Cortana und Datenschutz – Microsoft Datenschutz

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Surprising how many users want to 'kill off' Cortana! She's a nice girl once you get to know her! *Wink

Seriously though, I've posted a rather reckless and un-researched method to disable the entire Search UI including the background process, so you try it at your own risk!

(I'll find the link in a minute)

Can't find the link but basically, get Task Manager/Details/SearchUI.exe and "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe" beside each other.
    Right click the SearchUI.exe in Task Manager and End Task, then you've got about 2 seconds to right click and delete the SearchUI.exe in "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe"

Don't empty the Recycle Bin so you can Restore it if something goes terribly wrong!

Edwin, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Jaxel Win User
    No. Seriously... She's Clippy.

[​IMG]

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Jaxel Win User
    Hmm... it wont let me delete/rename SearchUI.exe because of a permission error. How do I get permission to rename the file?

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    You have to take Ownership of the file:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

(You won't have time to rename it)

Edwin, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Jaxel Win User

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Jaxel Win User
    Wait... I got it. I had to take ownership of the directory... it wouldnt let me take ownership of the EXE.

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
  11. Jaxel Win User
    Uhh... no. That still leaves Cortana running in the background... which is the ENTIRE purpose of this thread.

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
  13. RonCFL Win User

No mater what I did ..It's still there running in the back ground ..

[​IMG]

RonCFL, Aug 1, 2015
  14. DJG
    DJG Win User
    I tried many things in vain too. It's Microsoft malware *Rolleyes. Best I could do is disable search indexing.

15. Drachen Win User
    Speaking of something going terribly wrong, I took ownership of the directory, deleted it, and completely broke my entire Search function, haha.

Has anybody tried this and gotten it to work on killing Cortana, though?

Drachen, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running? - Similar Threads - Disabled Search service

1. Whete is the option to disable web search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whete is the option to disable web search results?: I am trying to sort out a problem here. Two of my PC's have recently started to include web results in the search, which is something I don't want. It may well be that I forgot to disable that feature when I first installed Win 10. However, I now can't find the disable. I...
  2. Windows 10 Edge "Web Search Bar" is new and I want to disable

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Edge "Web Search Bar" is new and I want to disable: Hello, I use Edge and I guess I just had a new update on my computer. I now have 2 internet search tabs showing up. The normal Edge "search or enter web address" is what I use and like. Now, I have a new "search the web : web search" bar below it and it covers about 1/2 of...
  3. Disable Cortana and Web Search for the Spring Creators Update (1803)

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Cortana and Web Search for the Spring Creators Update (1803): Try this one, but it probably does not work for Home. Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DoNotUseWebResults" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f Policy CSP - Search | Microsoft Docs[/quote] No luck with this one too for Home ed. Thanks for...
  4. Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled: Hello! If I disable websearch in the taskbar by setting the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\ConnectedSearchUseWeb to 0 and/or I disable Cortana completely either by setting the key...
  5. Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows: Does this also turn off the prompt to turn search indexing on for faster results. I have a SSD and it is recommended to turn Search indexing off. 93666
  6. Disable "Search for app in the store" popup

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable "Search for app in the store" popup: Hi, We've recently installed some new computers with Windows 10 and when we open one of the programs on them this box pops up every time. When you click no the application will open. Is there any way to stop this box from coming up? [img] 104132
  7. Disabling Search History In Google Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabling Search History In Google Search: I have been trying to disable the Google Search History which shows up every time I use Google but cannot find any instructions on how to do it. I hope that someone can assist me in this matter. Thank you. Regards, 92456