Windows 10: Disabled WU using gpedit under 1803, now updated to 1903 but Defender keeps stating...

Discus and support Disabled WU using gpedit under 1803, now updated to 1903 but Defender keeps stating... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I was on 1803, I disabled Windows Update via gpedit because on my slow and shared internet connection, there was no way I was going to let it grab... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ThePizzaDeliveryBoy, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Disabled WU using gpedit under 1803, now updated to 1903 but Defender keeps stating...

When I was on 1803, I disabled Windows Update via gpedit because on my slow and shared internet connection, there was no way I was going to let it grab a 4.9GB ISO which would have taken the better part of a day to download so I could do the upgrade. I grabbed the ISO from another source and updated the system manually to 1903. Everything's been fine. The problem is, every few days Windows Defender keeps stating that my definitions are out of date. So I click update and then its good for a day or two and then again it mentions that definitions are out of date. Nothing update related is blocked via gpedit and I like Defender to just grab the updates as they are available but for some reason it just won't automatically update the daily definitions. Not sure where to look to force it to update daily?

submitted by /u/ThePizzaDeliveryBoy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ThePizzaDeliveryBoy, Jan 28, 2020
  2. TonyB83 Win User

GPedit and updating windows 10 versions (from 1803 to 1903 for example)

Hey everyone,

Just wondering. With GPedit and updating windows 10 versions (from 1803 to 1903 for example) does anything set in GPedit get reset back to default when windows 10 gets upgraded from say 1809 to 1903? Or does it stay the same?

TonyB83, Jan 28, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    GPedit and updating windows 10 versions (from 1803 to 1903 for example)

Hi TonyB83

Rest assured, your policies set in GPEdit will remain untouched by the update from 1803 to 1903, as will all your files and settings . . .

DaveM121, Jan 28, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Disabled WU using gpedit under 1803, now updated to 1903 but Defender keeps stating...

What the hell, windows defender?

So, a while back I disabled windows defender via gpedit. Come to find out it's running again, and telling me my miner is a "severe" threat, despite still being disabled in gpedit. There's a few new entries related to windows defender in gpedit that didn't used to be there before. I'm guessing this happened during the big spring update. UAC keeps becoming re-enabled somehow, as well. For now I have a shitty registry key that's supposed to disable windows defender instead, hopefully it works.

Damn, Microsoft. They were pushing users to upgrade to 10 so hard, even resorting to plain trickery to get it on as many machines as possible. Now not only is it doing hardcore data mining in the background, but it's changing settings all on its own to whatever Microsoft wants. One step closer to pushing me to Ubuntu or something. I'd already be there if I didn't think it would be an arduous task learning how to computer all over again while simultaneously breaking a lot of games, which is mostly what I use this computer for...

Bill Gates needs to go back to Microsoft just so he can kick all the guys responsible for w10 squarely in the nuts. /rant

Thema:

Disabled WU using gpedit under 1803, now updated to 1903 but Defender keeps stating...

1. Disabled WU using gpedit under 1803, now updated to 1903 but Defender keeps stating... - Similar Threads - Disabled using gpedit

2. Windows Update 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 1803 to 1903: I've been trying to update from 1803 to 1903 for several weeks. I've had a few different error codes, but most commonly Error code: (0x80070003). I've gone through a number of information threads, none of which has solved the problem. One, titled "Fix Windows Update...
  3. Disable 1903 Windows Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable 1903 Windows Defender?: I'd like to know how to completely disable Windows Defender on the new 1903 update. On 1809 I was able to use gpedit tweaks to disable Windows Defender completely because I use Eset Internet Security (an AV with its own firewall). After the 1903 update I recognized that...
  4. Disable 1903 Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable 1903 Windows Defender?: I'd like to know how to completely disable Windows Defender on the new 1903 update. On 1809 I was able to use gpedit tweaks to disable Windows Defender completely because I use Eset Internet Security (an AV with its own firewall). After the 1903 update I recognized that...
  5. 1903 & WU Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1903 & WU Settings: As needed, Windows Update notifies when to restart computer. 1903 brings a new setting in WU (circled in screenshot) and I can't find a more detailed explanation for it. Am I correct in thinking if this is turned on, the computer will restart right away as opposed to simply...
  6. GPedit and updating windows 10 versions (from 1803 to 1903 for example)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    GPedit and updating windows 10 versions (from 1803 to 1903 for example): Hey everyone, Just wondering. With GPedit and updating windows 10 versions (from 1803 to 1903 for example) does anything set in GPedit get reset back to default when windows 10 gets upgraded from say 1809 to 1903? Or does it stay the same?...
  7. update automation (1803 -> 1903)

update automation (1803 -> 1903): hi! at work there was a need to automate the update Windows 10 1803 to 1903. automation should be maximized by pressing a single button. decided to write powershell script. use the pswindowsupdate module. this works like a charm. BUT! only 2 updates are available. how do I...
  8. Disabled Automatic Updates using gpedit - how about minor updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disabled Automatic Updates using gpedit - how about minor updates?: I have disabled automatic updates using group policy editor and run 'check for updates' at regular intervals. Have been doing so for a long time. All fine. However, whilst doing so, I wonder whether indeed totally nothing is being updated, except then for AV-stuff. I mean :...
  9. Disabled Automatic Updates using gpedit - how about minor updates?

Disabled Automatic Updates using gpedit - how about minor updates?: I have disabled automatic updates using group policy editor and run 'check for updates' at regular intervals. Have been doing so for a long time. All fine. However, whilst doing so, I wonder whether indeed totally nothing is being updated, except then for AV-stuff. I mean :...
  10. Disabling WU will disable Drivers Update also?

Disabling WU will disable Drivers Update also?: My PC is a Production Machine and I do not want to lose time with broken updates, so I decided to completely disable the Windows Update in Services. Will this also Disable the Drivers Updates by means of the Online Search and Install? Thank you 65969